Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine esquire thin-line with an all rosewood neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by joekumpan3, Jun 18, 2016.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I started to cut the guard out with the jigsaw. image.jpeg

2. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I started putting together my electronics and reading the info that luxe sends with their capacitor set. They do excellent research and give a lot of good diagrams and info. I really like them. When I compare the crl 3 way switch I have though it's poles are backward from the diagram of the 50's switch. You can't just simply turn the switch around either. Fortunately my switch does match the diagram from the 60's so when I compare both pictures the wires go to the same poles on each side. It was blowing my mind for about an hour. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    For a one pickup guitar an esquire is kind of complicated, in a good way though.

3. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    The neck I bought was listed with vintage style which it is. It's got bigger frets and a modern truss rod but a thick vintage feel and 22 frets plus the way the truss rod is installed. The headstock bushing holes were listed as vintage size (can't remember the measurement right off)which I checked with what I had and was perfect. When it got here I put the bushings in the hole and the slip right in without touching the side. Bummer. I had to order conversion bushings to mount vintage tuners and a reamer. image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image.jpeg I haven't got very far in the last few days. I had run out of lacquer and had to go downtown to get some more. Up until now the only lacquer on the body has been the lacquer mixed with color, which looks nice. When I put the first clear coat on though it looks really great. It looks better than I could capture in this picture.

5. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Here is the front. It's got some orange peel from when I ran out of lacquer, but it coming along. image.jpeg
    There are some spots that were imperfections in the pine but I left them as is. This finish won't be perfect and I never intended to be, but what it will be is cool. Besides after it gets played it is going to be dented and bruised anyway. I am really happy the way the colors have turned out. A few more coats then I'll let it dry for a while then sand and buff. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Time to wind the pickup! 42 gauge formvar wire, AlNiCo 3 flat poles and 8000 turns of wire. I broke the wire at 1700 turns and soldered it together and kept going then had some wraps go over the bobbin so I cut it all off and started over. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii

8. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I soldered the black wire to the baseplate too. Just got to dip it in wax now. image.jpeg

9. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I plan on wrapping this pickup old style with the string. I figured it would be easy to just find some around the house or work, heck I only need a couple feet. No luck. I looked into buying some and all rolls are hundreds of feet. I thought about Mason's line that I have but I think nylon would slip. So I started looking on the Internet. I really want already colored black cotton string that way I don't have to dye it or make my wax black. As I looked around there was this stuff called hemp cord, it's like a smooth twine. I didn't want to order online without seeing it in person first to see how hairy it is. As I searched I found a TDPRI thread that a winder swears by the stuff almost claiming that it has magical properties and makes the pickup sound better. I don't know if I believe all that but I like the texture and the colors. I got this multi pack of earth tone colors but they have some really wild vibrant other colors that I will keep in mind for future projects. image.jpeg
    I plan on using black but the multicolored light brown is interesting so is the dark brown and natural.

Shango66 likes this.

10. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Wrapped up all nice and cozy! image.jpeg

11. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I think it looks better than the white on this picture of another pickup. image.jpeg

12. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Btw 6.13 on the multimeter.

13. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I don't really like wax potting on vintage style pickups but to keep the baseplate attached and from squeezing I did a quick potting. I don't leave the pickup in the wax too long and it is more just a coating not penetrated all the way into the coil etc. here is my wax bowl I tried to add black to it a few projects ago but it just sank to the bottom. image.jpeg
    And the newly potted pickup. image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii

15. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    On a side note, I really love TDPRI!!! About 95% of my guitar building/repair questions are answered on this forum. I usually Google search my question but the top answers are almost always on here. Sometimes the two lp forums and the strat have answers,but more often than not they are here. So thanks to all of you.

16. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Did some soldering and assembly today. I think the 50's style wiring is so cool. This Luxe capacitor set is really nice. I put the 70's style tele deluxe knobs on because I like the look of them and if I ever get confused which is volume and tone they are labeled!! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    When I went to go finish up my pick guard, I realized that I scratched the good side all up....so I made another one. I need to use a round file and some sandpaper in the tight corners still but it's basically done. image.jpeg
    I wet sanded the whole body very lightly and put another coat of lacquer on. This may be the last one. image.jpeg

18. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I had a little parting of the lacquer along the glue line after the wet sanding and last coat of lacquer. Don't know why maybe moisture, it doesn't appear to be a crack in the glue joint. Oh well. image.jpeg

19. coffeecycle22

coffeecycle22 TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Noosa Qld Australia

20. coffeecycle22

coffeecycle22 TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Noosa Qld Australia
    But coming along nicely

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.