Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine cab for Pro Junior sound test

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by maxvintage, Jan 27, 2018.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    MDF is more dense than plywood, but if we are talking about the same thicknesses, plywood is stronger. You don't see structural engineers specifying MDF for shear walls in wood frame buildings, and the defacto standard has been plywood for many years. I also believe that MDF is held together with urea formaldehyde, not epoxy. All that said, I am sure that speaker cab performance is more dependent on the density and stiffness of the material, not it's ultimate strength.

PhredE likes this.
  2. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    great work man! regardless of how it sounds, it looks beautiful.

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    There's a difference, but it's more about shifting the resonant peak a little than it is about OMG night and day. I'm not going back to the original cab. But I can imagine that it might not suit everybody

4. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I knocked together a 12 inch cab for the pro junior. Haven't put any finish on it yet. I might go for tolex, which I've never done before.

I put a Cannabis Rex in it. It's like a different amp. The Cannabis Rex is a more efficient speaker than the Weber Alnico I was using in the other cab, and it has a bigger, stiffer sound. It's hard to describe the difference. In some ways I prefer the size and sound of the ten inch cab. Have to mess with it some more.

I should probably get a second pro junior....

12cab.jpg

losrogers, PhredE, Zaxxon and 3 others like this.
  5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Looking good! I built this one recently for a Pro Jr and put a Cannabis Rex in it. I've only done a couple Pro Jr cabs for 12" speakers, but a 16x18 pine cab with a Veteran 10 for more vintage tone, or a Ragin Cajun for higher output, to me, makes a huge difference in tone. I've had to take the back off of mine more than once to prove that it was a stock Pro Jr inside with either of those 10's I mentioned.

Here is the C-Rex cab. That speaker with a 12ay7 makes for a lot more clean headroom.
    23659462_10104134042522771_5277661671947888714_n.jpg

PhredE, nojazzhere and drlucky like this.
  6. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I had a cannabis rex in there till just this afternoon, when a weber 12A125 went in.

The Cannabis Rex is a LOUD speaker, with lots of push, and it seemed a little dark to me. The Weber is noticeably less loud and dramatically brighter and looser feeling. The C-Rex has a kind of compressed quality, a little nasal for me--I mostly play single coil jazz

PhredE likes this.
  7. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Is the CRex new? Mine took a good 15-20 hours of lots of cranked playing to really break in.

PhredE likes this.
  8. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

It's new. I rarely play cranked--Even if there's a drummer it's usually a jazz setting and not very loud.

I dunno I like the weber a lot more right now. I have about a week of playing on the c rex and some of that time in a band. i kinda of feel like it should sound great out of the box. Might be it's just not the right speaker for me

9. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    The Eminence speakers I've tried all took a good break in period. Hated the Ragin Cajun at first - that's why I got the Veteran 10. But someone suggested the extra break in time, and it sounds amazing with it now. Just really LOUD! The trick to speeding up the process is plug an iPod or mp3 player in and just play it whenever you can. The full frequency range of recorded music I think flexes the speaker more. And you can just have it playing on a closet or something even while you're doing something else, if you don't want to listen to it.

PhredE and Zaxxon like this.
  10. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    I'm having Will at Armadillo Amp works (?) build a TV front slightly relic'd pine/tweed box for my Blues Jr. I'm thinking a Weber 12F150 speaker and some chassis mods by an ex Fender guy here in SoCal who does these things.

Go check out what Armadillo does, very cool stuff. Not cheap.

11. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'm really liking the Weber 12A125 in this amp, and with a 12AT7 in VI nearly all the hiss/hum is gone.

I'm not giving up on the cannabis rex though. In the past I've used the "acetone on the surround and 9 volts AC" thing to dramatically improve Jensen reissue speakers:

Jensen break in

The Cannabis Rex doesn't have an obvious "surround." It's hemp cone right to the borders of the frame. So there's no obvious place to apply acetone and Im hesitant to just start painting it on

I did hook it up to a 9 volt AC transformer this morning for about half an hour, and though I noticed a difference in the excursion of the speaker when I pressed it. Later today I think I'll try plugging it into the AC transformer, recording the note at start, and then recording it after say 1/2 hour of "treatment."

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I find yery low yeild results in cabinet materials, sound wise. Even MDF is much more maligned than deserved. However I do like to change cab dementions went making a donor cabinet.
    An inch or so of extra depth, I can hear.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    A thought... If you build a bigger cab for a 12" speaker, build a 10" baffle board just to see what the bigger cab sounds like with one of your 10" speakers.

14. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    MDF used to be, and might still be AFAIK, the material of choice for hi-fi speaker cabinets where the lack of resonance is desirable. In a small box like the Pro Jr., the shortcomings of MDF for a guitar cab (weight, strength) are not as apparent.

I'm with you on box dimensions having a bigger influence on sound than build material.

15. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Well i hooked the Cannabis rex up to a 9 volt AC transformer for about 45 minutes this afternoon I recorded the sound it made at the start and at the end. I couldn't hear a difference. But it deep seem like the cone was easier to push by hand. Maybe I'll do a few more rounds and try it in the amp again

16. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I blasted Allman Bros boxed set through my Tweed Vibrolux with for a few hours at a time. That seemed to do it!

17. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm not claiming loads of experience here, but I do think that the cabinet material makes a difference. Soft woods like pine and red cedar are supposed to be more resonant, and that seems to be borne out by my experience, especially with the little cab I built out of pine below.

And with regard to speakers: I now think that everybody who plays electric guitar at home should have at least one small cab with a highly inefficient vintage speaker in it. I recently built this little cabinet for a 12" Magnavox alnico that came out of a Wurlitzer (the baffle came with it). It's magnificent for home play. I run my 5f2a through it and can crank it all the way to 12 without it being overwhelming. And the breakup is fantastic.

IMG_9939.JPG IMG_9940.JPG IMG_9935.JPG

ballynally2 likes this.
  18. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    yep, dimensions count and it's nice to have the extra bottom end in a larger cab for 1 10" speaker especially if you make the cab deeper. 1 12" doesnt need the extra cab depth as it usually has more bottom end anyway.i am a big fan of 10" speakers.To me they react more linear than 12".Use pine because it's cheap and light thus ..fine! It might have a different resonance frequency but as long as you don't go too deep you're grand.
    Birch ply baffle board..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  19. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Here my new Pro Jr, that I can connect to Ragin' Cajun in pine cab, 15" Eminence in pine, or 12" Fender Special Design. Different sounds, great amp!

Attached Files:

20. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    A Ragin Cajun can take a Pro Jr to a whole new level. I love the tone, but it's too loud most if the time for me now. I still have it, but I keep my WGS Veteran 10 in there usually.

guitarmikey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.