Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine cab for Pro Junior sound test

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by maxvintage, Jan 27, 2018.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Not long ago I bought a pro junior. It's a great amp for the way I play. I made a few changes--new speaker, wire twist mod, added a negative feedback cutoff switch, shock mounted the tube board. But it's basically the same amp, and its strengths and weaknesses are well known.

The stock cab is heavy, made out of I don't know what--maybe MDF? The Baffle board is like 1.5 inch particle board. I decided to knock together a pine cab to see if it got lighter and to see if it changed the sound.

I more or less copied the pro junior cab, and added an ampeg style handle I had on hand. Pine from Home Depot, transtint dyes, and shellac.

As you can see I haven't finished the back yet. I added a round cutout to access the Negative feedback switch

The sound definitely changed. Not "OMG it's night and day!" but as you might expect the resonant frequency shifted up. It's a little more lively sounding and a little brighter. I like the difference, but I wouldn't say "rush out and build a pine cab." I can see you for some things the old cab might be better.

It is significantly lighter, which is nice. But the pine dents if you look at it funny. Also it was cupped badly and so the joint are not as tight as I'd like. But 'm happy with the change. I may build bigger cab for a 12 inch speaker

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Niiiiiice! Congrats on your craftsmanship.

nojazzhere and PhredE like this.

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    Very nice. You say you used transtint dyes. Do you mean you put transparent dye in the clearcoat, or that you used it as a stain on the wood?

PhredE likes this.

4. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Su-weet! Nice job. The woodworking and finish is beautiful. (I have a biased opinion though, I LOVE pine cabinets).

MDF is heavier, not as strong as a decent 'regular' board normally (at least in the lengthwise direction) and definitely not resonant. Even worse, it will dull your jigsaw and router blades faster too. Some people like it for cabs, I don't. Besides, a builder HAS to cover MDF up and can't leave it natural and just finish.

Again, very nice job.

Update: Oh also, re: 'dents when you look at it" -- yeah, so true. I finish mine with spray polyurethane -- easy to sand down and re-spray too.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    Albany,NY
    Sweeet. You got some skills bro.

PhredE likes this.

6. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    When you build the 12", sell me this one!!

7. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Thank you all very much! JPEG hides a multitude of sins

Trans tint dyes as a stain—“Bordeaux,” “reddish brown,” and black—followed by garnet shellac.

Doug 54 and gitlvr like this.

8. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    Thanks. That makes this an even nicer job. Pine is pretty hard to stain evenly, IME.

nojazzhere likes this.

9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.

10. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    What a beautiful transformation!!
    Yeah Pro Jr is truly a great amp, regret that I sold mine.:(

11. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    That cab looks so good, even if it made the amp sound worse I would still use it. ;-)

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That is beautiful work. I have so much respect for people who have the skill and patience to do the kind of woodworking that you did there. I have a hard time building a bird feeder that is "true" in all the angles and fit. I look at that cabinet that you built and it blows my mind.

Nice work man.

13. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Nice. Just as a suggestion you might want to change out the output transformer. I changed mine to a Mercury Magnetics and it added a lot of depth to the sound.

14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    MDF is really denser and stronger than plywood, it is heavily compressed and held together with something like epoxy. I once knew a group of metal guys who preferred certain Laney 4-12's because they liked the MDF cabs. It is not the same as construction particle board, like the old Silvertone amps and such used. Also have a friend who builds expensive custom guitars and cabs, he used 1" thick MDF for a custom SVT cab, it weighed a ton (can't say I didn't warn him when he told me of his plans for it). He later built two separate cabs, a 4-10 and a 1-15 to keep the weight down. I told him his back wouldn't like the 1" MDF, he really didn't need to go that thick, but he wouldn't listen. I still prefer pine or good ply myself.
    Al

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    How did you mount the speaker baffle board? Gerald Webber has spoken about Leo's tweed amps being built from pine with the floating baffle board, and how they contribute a resonant, "musical" aspect to the amps. I just like the fact that they're usually lighter in weight. I used to have a '64 BF Bandmaster....the 2-12" cab seemed to weigh less than my Deluxe Reverb.

16. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

It’s screwed from the back, where you would normally see screw heads or rather machine bolt heads. I might put the original machine screws on at some point. I can’t see how it would make a difference unless the fasteners are very loose

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston

18. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    Looks great and glad to hear about the sound improvement. I’m of the firm belief that there’s something to the wood. The reason I most would like a vintage Tweed amp is for the cabinet. I’ve also learned of a builder using white oak for cabinet construction which intrigues me.

19. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Really nice work! A little disappointed, but not surprised to hear that there's not a dramatic tonal difference.

Not having woodworking skills, I bought a larger wood cabinet for one of my Pro Jr.s for a 12" speaker. It's very well made, and it made a significant difference in volume, but still not sure it was worth it.

I think the Pro Jr. might just be best left alone. (Except for the NFB switch, that's too easy NOT to do, and beefs the tone to my ear.) 2014-01-23 10.41.45.jpg 2014-01-23 13.50.47.jpg

20. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    The wood work here is sweet. I have some of those skills, but none of the patience! I had pine cabs made for my Super Champ and '65 Tremolux and the pine cabs really do enhance the sound. Well worth the expense and trouble. Nice job!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.