Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine and "Cedar" Tele - Noob Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PingGuo, Mar 20, 2018.

1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    making progress!

I slotted the fret board using the router... Should have made a jig to make it stupid proof. but it went well enough.

the backup fret-board had been used for some dye testing. and made a great indicator for how the radius work was going.

I did the radius by hand... that was the worst. I wont be doing that again.

I'll take the fret board out of its clamps tonight. And do the flush trim tomorrow. I need to figure out some side dots next. Face is staying dot free.

IMG_7715.jpg IMG_7811.jpg IMG_7812.jpg IMG_7814.jpg IMG_7712.jpg IMG_7713.jpg IMG_7808.jpg

2. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    more progress!

IMG_7864.jpg IMG_7883.jpg IMG_7885.jpg IMG_7893.jpg IMG_7878.jpg IMG_7858.jpg IMG_7855.jpg IMG_7850.jpg IMG_7843.jpg IMG_7835.jpg

eallen and guitarbuilder like this.

3. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Side dots done!

It was a mess :(

they're super goofy. next time I'll make a jig for it.

oh well.

What do you think of the glitter and epoxy? Hopefully it sands up nicely.

IMG_7910.jpg IMG_7911.jpg IMG_7924.jpg

4. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    That looks great! Don't worry about that epoxy excess, it will disappear with a little sanding.

5. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    I got most of that sanded off last night.

The real problem is that the dots are not consistent enough. I'll have to build a jig or figure out a way to make the next one better.

This guitar kinda looks like a wiggling snake.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Drill your holes when the wood is a rectangle with a smooth edge against the fence of a drill press.

DrASATele, Tezuka27 and PingGuo like this.

7. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    If you don't have a drill press I found drilling the fret markers not too bad as long as you use a bradawl to mark the centres and a brad point bit to drill the holes. Just put a piece of tape around the drill bit to the depth needed.

PingGuo likes this.

8. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    Lookin' good!

PingGuo likes this.

9. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Thanks. That's how I'll do it next time.

There's nothing like learning by making mistakes :)

DrASATele and LeftFinger like this.

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    To me, it makes so much sense to rout a truss rod slot and drill dot holes before a rectangular wood gets cut into a different shape.

11. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    You're very right!

I have one more neck blank that's glued up already with a headstock wing but no truss rod route. That'll be the last one I do like that for sure.

As for the fingerboard. I'll probably do the dots before I glue it on to the neck, like you mentioned, next time.

The build continues! This one is getting completed regardless of flaws so I can move on to the next one... and hopefully do better next time :)

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions. I've appreciated them.

12. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Back from a work trip in China. And now I'm back to building guitars.

I chose to try to thickness the neck on the router table... That was a mistake. And I did the rest of the thickness on the ROSS. As a result I have a pretty crazy taper from 18.7mm to 21mm.

But in the hand it actually feels pretty good.

The black spot, I believe, is the truss rod. I'll get some low profile rods for super thin necks in the future. I think 19.5 to 21 feels "right" anyhow.

The other issue is that it ended up really narrow. At the nut it's about 1.62"

It'll be a little un. Anyhow, The next one will be a little bit better.

I didn't take any pictures of it. But I did most of the carving on the ROSS. It worked really well for me.

I was surprised at how easy the volute and heel angles were. I thought they were going to be really hard to get. But the tool just kinda fit them.

I think this build is getting close to being finished. but now I'm at the hard part where all I can see are the mistakes. And I want to move on to the next build.

Not happening! unless I do something to make the guitar unplayable, this one is getting built.

Let me know what you think :)

-Vic

IMG_2074.jpg IMG_2075.jpg IMG_2077.jpg IMG_2078.jpg IMG_2080.jpg IMG_2081.jpg IMG_2082.jpg IMG_2083.jpg IMG_2085.jpg

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Practice makes perfect on necks. You get better with the repetition of doing more than one. I had more problems with getting frets in and it took 10 or so until I was happy with them.

I have tapered necks on the router table by putting blocks at the peghead and heel. I used differing heights to achieve the taper I wanted and used double sided tape to hold them in place. I also had a radial arm saw that had a router collet on one end and I used dowels sanded down on one side to do the same thing as the block method.... Lots of different ways to achieve the same thing. Remember, only the wood on the centerline ends up with that taper after you carve it. :)

My opinion on heels is that the closer you can get to the Ed Hawley drawing neck heel, the more professional it looks. That has a couple of reverse curves on it that looks killer when done carefully.

PingGuo likes this.

14. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    I think for the next neck I'll set up a sled and some shims to get the taper I'm after.

I just drew the heel on with some french curves. Do you have a current link to Ed's PDFs. I used this one: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/53-cnc-build.83286/page-34#post967457 but it appears to be dead.

Overall I'm pretty please with how it all went. I think most of the mistakes and missteps were ones I can learn from. So hopefully it'll lead to improvement.

Thank's for all the encouragement!

-Vic

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    PingGuo likes this.

16. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL

17. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Done with test routes for the neck that’s going on to the body. Tomorrow I’ll do the real route.

The test routes are perfectly snug

7E3E8107-AD7E-4C72-B427-31E072C97A80.jpeg 4A07B31E-E4DB-4CEA-BA01-6526597CF7E6.jpeg

18. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I made my drum sander so it can take a 1 1/2" board, when I do the necks I tape a shim on the fretboard and sand a tapper to the back. A little tricky adjusting the height up with the neck in place and then starting it up but that is where the wimpy 1/3 hp motor is actually a benefit.

I still need to make a jig for the dots, just free handing it for now.

19. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    I'm not sure I totally understand. If you have time to post some pictures of what you described I'd love to see them.

Best,
    -Vic

20. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

He's using his drum sander to sand the taper in the back of the neck. In order to do this you have to shim the neck and then raise and lower the drum sander table to feed the wood in. You also have to start and stop the feeding at the right places. My sander has a conveyor belt which makes that kind of task a bit trickier...but still doable. I've done a similar thing a couple times too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.