Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine and "Cedar" Tele - Noob Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PingGuo, Mar 20, 2018.

1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    I really miss those :(

I'd hoped that I'd get to participate in one. I'd been a lurker for a few years before joining. And challenge build were my favorite. still are.

2. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    So... Here's where I'm at.

I got the router bushing set. And it's great....

But... The bit gets nowhere near deep enough for it to do what I need.

At full depth the first pass takes about 1/16th.

Some of this has to do with the 1/2" shank not allowing the full lenght of the plunge.

So, I got a 3/8" collet reducer. And a much longer 3/8" bit with a 3/8" shank.

This all seems kinda silly. But I think the whole template rise thing is inane.

Eventually I should be able to get to the point where I have a smooth neck pocket routing process that makes me happy.

upload_2018-4-11_12-55-45.png upload_2018-4-11_12-56-2.png upload_2018-4-11_12-56-14.png upload_2018-4-11_12-56-39.png upload_2018-4-11_12-56-52.png

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    If you have Woodcraft or Rockler down there, you should be able to get a template bit.

4. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Already have a few long ones but not the 1/4" cutter head one I'm assuming you're talking about.

I'm guessing you're recommending one of these:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...e-router-bit-1-4-sh-1-2-d-x-1-4-cl-x-1-7-8-ol

If I can get the setup right I think I'd be happy having the bushing rig described.

We'll see, I might end up with just a 1/2" bearing bit with a 1/4" cutter head depth.

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I have one of those bits for deepening neck pockets. A 1/2 DIA x 1/2 L ( like the stewmac bit) gets the job done easily too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K2UAGE/?tag=tdpri-20

I can never seem to get what I want, when I want it, when I go to the woodcraft up here.

DrASATele likes this.

6. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    If my current path doesn't work out that's I'll pick one of those up next.

I like the bushing with long bit idea because I'd love to be able to to the whole cut without changing bits, taking the template off, or any other screwing around.

Time will tell.

7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

This is why you buy used routers at flea markets( assuming they work).

8. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    I feel like to do this right I need like 4 more routers. I'll keep my eyes out at the flea markets. I'm guessing the standard porter cable ones are all over the place.

I'm not sure I know enough to just turn one on without a bit and know how it's supposed to feel.

Though I'm guessing if they sound and feel reasonably smooth then they're working.

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Back when I started out I'd buy up Craftsman routers for 10-15 dollars a pop. A lot of times they were hardly used. When possible I'd listen for bearing noise. At one point I had 5-6 routers in the arsenal. A dedicated bit puts less wear and tear on them. A pro router would be harder to determine condition I think. I have routers that I took off my cnc that look pretty new but have hundreds of hours on them.

PingGuo likes this.

10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I have about a half dozen routers, four Craftsman. I say about as the one with the bad bearing did not last its first job. They go from $50 and up here. I would like one more laminate router, one just set up for cutting binding rabbits.

PingGuo likes this.

11. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Big step forward today!

I got a long 3/8th bit with a 3/8th shank. And a reduction collett.

Did my first test cut and it seems like it's working great.

No playing with the template. No risers... none of that crap.

Just a few clean passes till the depth is reached.

I still have more work to do to get everything perfect. But it seems like I'm on a better track now.

upload_2018-4-13_17-21-10.png upload_2018-4-13_17-21-30.png upload_2018-4-13_17-21-58.png

12. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    So...

The test cut pic from yesterday is a little cheaty.

The template used to cut it didn't taper... amature mistake.

Now we have a new template. And it tapers :)

Interesting side note... We can't find anywhere that sells kicker (super glue accelerator) locally. Turns out the stuff is just an alkaline. So I made a baking soda slurry and spread some if on the B side and put the super glue on the A side.

And by I did that... I mean, Elysa did most of the work and I watched.

upload_2018-4-14_16-38-24.png upload_2018-4-14_16-38-50.png upload_2018-4-14_16-39-13.png upload_2018-4-14_16-39-51.png upload_2018-4-14_16-40-14.png upload_2018-4-14_16-40-34.png

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Do you have a hobby shop that sells RC cars nearby? They might have kicker.

14. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    That's a great idea! I'll call around.

15. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Just spent a bunch of money.

Now that I have my neck pocket process figured out I need to make some necks that perfectly match it!

The book at the end of the Amazon order is a personal favorite. I've given away multiple copies of it. And am due for another.

To keep myself busy I've been working on a symmetrical bolt on guitar. I'll start a new thread for that once it gets a little further.

hope to be cranking out T style guitars soon!

upload_2018-4-25_12-8-30.png upload_2018-4-25_12-9-42.png upload_2018-4-25_12-10-48.png

16. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Big progress today.

I had some old neck blanks that I started in CA. Unfortunately I cut them out before routing the truss rod channel.

So, getting the truss rod channels straight was a bit of a process. But in the end it worked out pretty well.

The neck material is curly birch and mahogany. And the fingerboard is flamed maple.

At this point all the wood except for the fingerboard is from HomeDepot/Lowes.

I think we're on the right track... At least I hope so...

upload_2018-4-28_13-50-12.png upload_2018-4-28_13-50-31.png upload_2018-4-28_13-50-56.png upload_2018-4-28_13-51-20.png upload_2018-4-28_13-52-5.png upload_2018-4-28_13-54-0.png upload_2018-4-28_13-54-24.png upload_2018-4-28_13-56-28.png

Macrogats, edchavez and perttime like this.

17. Pandak

Pandak TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Queensland
    Hi Ping, been watching your progress with awe (and, being in Australia, jealousy - curly birch and mahogany from a hardware chain store, ha!). I'm starting the process myself and notice you're using a flat double acting truss rod with the opening at the headstock. Can I ask how you're going to sort the access hole as headstock access is my goal?

18. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Ordering this style of rod may have been a mistake on my part... Time will tell.

right now the access cavity is cut with a 1/2 straight bit and is a bit deeper than the hex-nut. It should leave enough room for a hex drive screwdriver to access it. My plan is to leave the channel walls sharp. So, under the fret board at the head-stock there will be a U shaped opening, rather than the traditional hole.

One of the big bummers about moving to FL is the lack of wood at the hardware stores. When I was in CA they had all kinds of awesome stuff at amazing prices... if you were willing to dig through the piles.

Here in FL they have Oak, Pine, and Poplar. That's it. I haven't figured out a good solution yet.

The woodcraft (chain store with wood stuff) seems to have a lot of rough sawn cherry for cheap. I'm big into working with woods that look good and are cheap. So, hopefully I'll be building some more alt wood guitars soon.

I have to figure out my slotting system. I just majorly jacked up the fret-board I was planning to use.

My new plan is to do it with the router and a straight line jig. If that works I'll move on to figuring out how to do pocketed fret slots. I might have to build a mini CNC just for fret-boards and inlay... Time will tell.

Best,
    -Vic

p.s. in Australia you have a bunch of fun woods like blackwood right? (just call it Australian mahogany and guitar player will think it has "the tone")

What are the current options available on the cheap? Tasmanian Myrtle is said to regularly have wavy streaks in it like the birch does.

19. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    well... as mentioned, I jacked up that beautiful maple board while trying to cut the slots and nut slot.

So, I ordered a fret slotting sized router bit and it arrived today.

It works great in my little bosch colt router. The slots it cuts are way cleaner than my hand done slots. And I think once I get a jig set up for it they'll be more consistent/accurate.

The black arrow highlights some of the issues I had hand cutting slots.

IMG_7701 copy.jpg IMG_7699 copy.jpg IMG_7704 copy.jpg IMG_7698 copy.jpg IMG_7696 copy.jpg IMG_7694 copy.jpg

eallen likes this.

20. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    If it's not obvious...

the slot with the little bit of scrap fretwire in it is the one the router cut.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.