Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine and "Cedar" Tele - Noob Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PingGuo, Mar 20, 2018.

1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Yeah, I couldn't justify the next step up in bandsaws... If I can keep this up for a few years I might step up to a 17" or 19" saw.

But I am looking forward to resawing some fingerboards! Those things are stupid expensive for the figured woods.

That said, there seem to be a lot of guys these days offering amazing drop tops that are good to go.

Then again, I'm still a long way off from using any wood that's really fancy. I have a lot more learning to do first.

Lou G likes this.

2. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Thanks for the reminder!

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Fingers. I actually use a scraper after jointing... a couple of swipes to remove any fibers that may result from nicks in the knives. A jointer leaves mill marks and the slower the feed, the closer together they are. Too slow and the fibers get glazed from the friction. You have to find the perfect rate for the wood density. Don't forget the grain direction when you joint too. You don't want tear out. It's a matter of reading the board and putting it the direction that will result in the best finish.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/joinery/6-jointer-pointers

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    unfamous likes this.

4. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    hmm. My machine/technique aren't there yet. Last night I got much closer than I have before... But not perfect seal with finger pressure.

I'll have to keep playing with that.

5. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

It is hard to see but that style of band saw often will allow the installation of a riser block in the rear post. If so, that will substantially increase your resaw height. I believe Jet makes some that fit several others of this style.

Good start!

Eric

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

6. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Amazing! http://www.grizzly.com/products/Riser-Block-Kit-for-G0555LX/T25555

I had no idea that was a thing.

Maybe I'll get one of those once I get to the point that I'm comfortable resawing smaller stuff.

eallen likes this.

7. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Today I rough cut the pieces on the body and we glued em up.

I'd really rather glue to squares together and not worry about trying to align anything but the cedar board isn't big enough to do that without being very wasteful.

Glue will be set tomorrow and I'll flush trim the cedar ply then... Back on track for now!

upload_2018-4-2_23-4-1.png upload_2018-4-2_23-4-18.png upload_2018-4-2_23-4-49.png upload_2018-4-2_23-5-9.png

eallen likes this.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't know anything about lawnmower racing, but a week or two ago I found out from surfing youtube that belt sander racing is a thing.

PingGuo likes this.

9. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    This thread keeps getting better and better. Fast forward a couple of weeks and we will be seeing the guitar factory pumping out fifty guitars a day.

10. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

Very nice. Just be aware that it also increases the length of blade needed as well but well worth it to resaw up to 12".

Good looking progress already. You two are going to love working with decent tools!

PingGuo likes this.

11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    When you get around to setting up the bandsaw do it as per this Alex Snodgrass video. It improves the performance no end.

The bandsaw I have I bought in 1999 and persevered with it until I set it up according to Alex. Now I can resaw sections of around 3-4 inches high to 2-3mm thickness, as well as larger sections for tops / backs etc. If you wish to get into acoustic building, having a bandsaw set up like this is a must!

DC

coonhollow greg and PingGuo like this.

12. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Tonight went reasonably well.

I did all of the routing on the table. But had one "accident."

I didn't get hurt or anything like that. I just let the body ride up over bottom bearing and put a good divot in the edge of the body.

But it came out in the sanding step.

After sanding the edges smoothing (they were a little lumpy for some reason) I did the round over. I think I had the bit set to cut juuuust a little too much.

But I like the 1/2" roundover on the tele body shape. I might even try a 1" at some point.

I think the biggest takeaway from tonight was that I love using the router when the bite it takes is almost nothing. But I hate it when I try to use it to remove any sizable amount of material.

I've always known this to be true. But now I REALLY know it.

Also... This body is seriously heavy. 5lbs 7oz. I plan to swimming pool it and put a strat guard on it. But I'm guessing it'll still end up near 5lbs.

Tomorrow or the next day I'll do some neck pocket tests in the old body. And Once I'm confident I've got that figured out I'll do the real neck pocket.

upload_2018-4-3_21-18-4.png upload_2018-4-3_21-20-8.png upload_2018-4-3_21-20-35.png upload_2018-4-3_21-20-57.png upload_2018-4-3_21-21-16.png upload_2018-4-3_21-21-37.png upload_2018-4-3_21-21-58.png upload_2018-4-3_21-22-26.png upload_2018-4-3_21-22-44.png

titan uranus, Lou G and mux164 like this.

13. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Thanks for that! We've got it working reasonably well... But it could be better.

14. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    I have the same saw,in black, and put the riser block on before I started using it. It will make you Very happy if you get one. Congrats on your new tools.

PingGuo likes this.

15. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Neck pocket hell... well, it's not actually not that bad... maybe just neck pocket heck.

I'm finding the process of routing the neck pocket incredibly irritating.

My neck pocket bit is a 1/2" bottom bearing bit that's 1" long. The problem I'm running into is that the first pass I take with the router is way too big. Even if I've already used the drill press.

I hate trying to take more more material than the router likes.

I see that some people use risers. but that seems like a major pain.

So, I got a bushing set for my router and a new straight bit. hopefully that'll help sort things out.

Up next: We'll make a new neck pocket template to account for the whole bushing thing.

One of these days... I'll finish a guitar right?

Big takeaway from today's pictures... the spade bits are too grabby. I don't currently have any forstner bits. I guess I should get a big one and clamp the body to "hog out" rather than drill a bunch of little holes...

What do you think? How do you "hog out" your material?

upload_2018-4-5_19-52-42.png upload_2018-4-5_19-53-0.png upload_2018-4-5_19-53-21.png

16. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    Northwest CT
    Are you using a bottom bearing bit or a top bearing bit?
    If you use a small length top bit(1/2"or less) you can make a small cut w/ template then use your cut as a guide for the bearing.
    If I'm understanding your dilemma

17. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    My 1/2" bottom bearing bit is 1" long. So with a 1/2" template and the bearing being about 1/4" the first cut ends up being a gigantic 3/4" more or less.

The solution I've settled on (for now) should be this:

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.00.07 PM.png

I could have also, as you suggested, get a shorter 1/2" bearing bit. Or have used risers for the template.

I'm hoping the bushing solution will work as well as it does in my mind :p

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You should check out the stewmac ( or comparable) template bit.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...MIt86YuL2k2gIVxODICh2p2QtLEAQYAyABEgKFvPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K2UAGE/?tag=tdpri-20

and for hogging out material,you want a forstner bit

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/forstner-10-piece-bit-set

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/13-16-bormax-forstner-style-bit

Not all 10 but a good quality one by bormax...:)

the nice part of using a template bit over a bushing is that the patterns are the exact size of the rout, unlike the bushing pattern which isn't.

Are you reading any of the build threads by the established and experienced builders here at the Home Depot? If not....it will be worth the effort. Photobucket has ruined many, but you can get around that will google chrome and a plug in.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/photobucket-hotlink-fix-for-google-chrome.803275/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    PingGuo likes this.

19. PingGuo

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Thanks for the great post!

I have the 3/8ths bit of theirs for pickup templates. It has been awhile since I used it but I remember not enjoying the floating bearing experience.

I don't mind having a 1/16th oversize neck pocket template. But I'll probably only do the neck pocket that way.

Resizing a rectangle is one thing... trying to resize a whole guitar... I'm not that smart. :lol:

I went out and picked up a forstner bit set tonight. Just ryobi... But It'll do.

I hope it doesn't look like I've haven't read any of the build threads! :p
    Anyhow, I have read a few of them ;) and am fortunate to have a ringer too. I call a good friend that has worked for for some of the more prestigious names in the industry when I need straigenting out. He has the patience of a saint!

That doesn't stop me from having to learn the hard way :p (which is fine as long as I do it safely).

The photobucket thing is a major bummer. That site just took a major dump all over the internet. I'll go download the plugin tonight.

20. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Many of us here always recommend that new builders read the challenge threads as they are chock full of info.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.