Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pics of your accidental relic? Dropped screwdriver on nitro finish

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by uglyrunner, Mar 11, 2018.

1. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    Here’s mine. Epi Les Paul. My first real guitar that I bought 20 years ago. I was 15 and worked my butt off for that Guitar.

Just a few days after I got it, I changed the strings. I had no idea the tail piece was removable so with all the strings off, it came loose. I picked it up to look at it and dropped it right by the toggle switch.

It left a nice dent in the poly. It made me sick. But I got over it and haven’t sweated over a scratch or ding in any guitar since.

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

Minimalist518 and uglyrunner like this.

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I love the space saving desing of the rack type stands. I need them to fit all my guitars im my music nook but I found them to be a pretty easy way to relic your guitars. They should advertise them as "self relicing".
    20171208_013723.jpg

My spine about jumped off my back when I whacked my AV 52 with the control knob from my other 52 RI.
    20180106_223656.jpg

You can actually see the knob tread "tooth marks" dented into the wood.
    Pretty soon all my guitars will probably have dings in the same spot from using that stand. Oh well. I gotta have my guitars within reach so I guess that's the price of convenience.

3. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    When I saw that top photo where you show the entire body, it looks to me like everything's gonna work out OK. I say that because it looks like a good body with some righteous straight grain. So even if you relic it a little, naturally or unnaturally, and the finish flakes off, I think it will still look good.

4. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Not mine, but a friend.

We had bought a pile of stuff off Stratosphere and he was eagerly opening up his 60s Classic Player strat body, took out the bridge from a separate pack and wanted to fit it into the trem cavity when the thing slipped, fell out of his hand and onto the flawless nitro 3TS body. We just sat in shock for 1 minute, before he went "I guess that's the beginning of the relic process!"

5. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    I recently bought a 'vintage white' strat body with a 'very thin' paint covering and nitro lacquer for a partscaster.

It arrived with a few dings out of the box as the finish was so thin - the store gave me 20% refund, but tbh it made me bond more with the finished guitar as I didn't have to worry about the first ding. it should age fantastically if I ever get the time to play it intensively.

When I found a dent in a 2 days old MIM backup strat however, I was more upset as I'd not played it at that point!

6. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A friend dropped it onto a tile floor ... mhea.... it happens..:rolleyes: I didn't lose any sleep over it.... it was a bitza anyway. I call it M00Z00.. mex body with a US neck....I was an Esquire for a while but I put a neck pickup back in it.....

some black nail polish made it less noticeable..... I then lent it to another friend to record a CD, he didn't even notice the ding ..:D

come to think of it.. he still has it.... :confused:.. I hope he still has it...:lol:

Tele ding4.jpg

Esquire 2.jpg

uglyrunner and Minimalist518 like this.

7. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    I thought the general thoughts about dings dips and scratches all added to "The Mojo"
    and should be shown like medals for bravery... S:p:D

8. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have an SG Faded so just general handling of it is "relicing" it

9. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I hate when that happens! When I get chips like that, I put some clear nail polish around the edges of the chip to keep it from flaking off.

10. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    uglyrunner likes this.

11. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    More like medals of clumsiness and stupidity

12. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks, mate. I found cigarette ash did a better job than coffee of dirtying up the exposed wood. I dig how it attached to the outlines of the paint. I’m going to buff it and polish it again today with a little more elbow grease, but I’m definitely not unhappy. IMG_1550.JPG

SpringKing, pondcaster and Synapse2k like this.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Get a chain and whack it a few more times.....

Piggy Stu likes this.

14. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    In 2011 I bought the 60th anniversary model blackguard blonde with nitro finish. I have had a hard time with using it or even taking it out of the case because I am afraid of hurting it.
    I have been to hard on myself and too easy on the tele. It's time to either get rid of it or go full bore player on it!

uglyrunner likes this.

15. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    Nah

16. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    IMG_2139.JPG

64AVR slipped out of the gig bag!

17. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    I actually dig it but sorry that happened! Did you leave it be or refinish?

18. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    Alright, it’s complete. I apologize to everyone who hates relics and please give me hell if you need to vent. I did a few more steps today. Started with 0000 steel wool which really took away most of the scratches from the initial gloss removal. More coffee and cigarette ash, more compressed air, some butterscotch nail polish in some of the chips that I then scraped most of away (it really stained the wood rather than coat it) and then clear coated to darken the wood in some of the chips, then polished it with Meguiar’s and Fender polish. This guitar, subjectively, looks way better to me now so it was a success. I’m not touching the neck because it’s perfect and I don’t like the way relic’d fretboards generally look so I’ll just play it until it catches up to the body.

I’ve definitely seen worse relics, some professionally done, so I’m not complaining.

Final product:

IMG_1575.JPG

PixMix likes this.

19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    if you like it, then it is great and I am pleased - but please don't do it to my guitar

funnily enough, it reminds me of how much of a mess my car is in. I do wonder if relic makers drive mint cars or some battle scarred millenium falcon thing (with Chewbacca in the passenger seat)

20. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had just finished my second build . The acrylic finish was about a week old...

My kids school band scheduled a practice on a saturday morning at one of the parents house...

thought I'd take my new build in to let young Leo have a play and listen to the sounds,,,

he didn't hold back..... put some nice windmill pick scratches in the fresh finish.....:rolleyes:

had to sand it back and do another clear coat on the whole thing.... then left it a few weeks longer before paying it again.... lesson learned, don't be in too much of a hurry to play a freshly finished guitar...:oops:

scratches1.JPG

Piggy Stu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.