Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pics of your accidental relic? Dropped screwdriver on nitro finish

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by uglyrunner, Mar 11, 2018.

1. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    The original owner managed to keep this mint for 6 years and I’ve had it less than a month. Dropped the screwdriver while setting intonation. Ouch...

IMG_1507.JPG

2. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Ouch, you have my sympathy.

I know this won't help you now, but I always detune the strings, then use a very small screwdriver to move the saddle - since there's no tension they move really easy. I must've dropped that screwdriver a dozen times, but it's so small it just bounces away.

It's a tedious method, but a safe one.

3. jamz

jamz TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2016
    New Hampshire, US
    My nitro finish looks pretty beat from general wear and tear.... but that’s what I like about it.

My MIM poly tele has two marks at the top where it fell out of the case as I picked it up (forgot to zip up the case, doh) and it tumbled down onto the concrete floor.

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Ouch!

Good idea!

Ouch!

5. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    use a piece of duct tape , no one will notice!

I guess you have to keep it now

6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    Now that that’s outta the way, you can rock out without worry of a ding.

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Bummer.

I use a long, skinny screwdriver so that the handle starts about where the rear strap button is. That way the shaft is barely above the top of the body and if I lose my grip the screwdriver falls away from the guitar. It also has the benefit of getting a straight shot at the intonation screws while not having to use those smaller tips.

Minimalist518 likes this.

8. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

One of these, and you'll seem cool.

[​IMG]

esetter likes this.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Isn't that the point of nitro finishes in the first place, so it'll look like a relic in a couple of years?

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I haven't even finished building my partscaster yet, but already I dropped pliers right on the front of the body, denting the finish. Also, chipped away aome finish from around the neck heel area by accident. I can't wait until it's actually finished. I'll probably accidentally run over it with my car....

Darkness, Minimalist518 and zephyrR1 like this.

11. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Nasty bruise on my dear old Fender Strat, nick named Gullan. Accidently smashed it in a door post at home like 15 years ago. Totally zero rock n roll moment. It was just a deep dent, all paint still intact.

Then like two years ago it all fell off like the crust on a cake. Strange stuff.

[​IMG]

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

When I use a tool like screwdriver around the finish I usually drape a cloth in the area.
    That said, I tripped one day and my iPhone flew out of my hand and hit my Tele flush causing a small but nasty chip which I was able to repair using the drop fill method from a StewMac youtube video. My concern was not so much the blemish but that the chip would get bigger as it was in an area where it could flake off a little at a time.

13. OldMike

OldMike TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Cleveland Zoo
    To OP,
    I did exactly the same thing and chipped in the same spot on my new tele. It's truly mine now.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Did you do the intonation or was this picture..and the accident...prior to making adjustments?
    I ask because there is no way that that guitar is properly intonated with the saddles in those positions.

FYI, a good repair man can almost make that scar disappear. I had afellow bring me his brand new 10 top with birds PRS Custom long ago. He came stapraight from the store from which he bought it. He had done the deal at that store and asked them if they would adjust the string height. They declined but handed him a screwdriver. As he tried to adjust the bass side, the screwdriver slipped and damaged the transparent green finish on the top near the bridge pickup. I healed it for him.

ecoast likes this.

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Pics of my "accidental relic"? I've got nothing that compares to the degree of damage in the two pics in this thread, but I'll play...

The background on the guitar in question: it is my Logan Custom BSB. The body is solid swamp ash. The finish isn't nitro on top of poly; Bob Logan uses only nitrocellulose lacquer finishes, with no grain fillers and no high gloss. So you can see the patterns of the wood grain and feel grain texture.

This guitar is 7 years old now. A few years ago, I was using this one at a gig for a seniors' community. After the show, a resident came walking up to me. I was in the process of putting my guitar in its case when she came up, so foolishly I just laid my BSB down on top of its case. (TDPRI needs a "Doh!"/"Face palm" smiley. For now, these will have to do...:(:oops:)

The woman wasn't using a walker, and she wasn't steady on her feet, and so at one particularly wobbly moment, she grabbed a hold of my mic stand for support. I don't know why she thought that would provide her with stability; suddenly both she and my mic/stand were falling. She kept herself from falling completely to the floor, but at the expense of my guitar. The mic on its stand (Shure SM58) hit the lower bout of my guitar, underneath the bridge, and the metal wind screen carved a scratch about 3" long through the nitro into the wood!

When the scratch was fresh, the exposed wood looked almost white against the surrounding butterscotch blonde tint. Like I said, the incident happened several years ago, and now a few years of patina have yellowed it to where it blends in pretty well. The pic below was taken last year, 2-3 years after the incident. It's not all that visible now, and there are even a few other scuffs and dings on the body as well. But I know it's there, and at the right angle, you can see the indentation left on the body.

zephyrR1 likes this.

16. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Heavy-ish dent in my Baja

[​IMG]

Rapidly got worse, and the finish started coming away in flakes.

So I stripped it completely!!!

[​IMG]

17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Ok so not sure this is going to show the pictures but each has a story

The sg from my avatar came back from my buddy with him saying a pickup wasn't working. Turns out he seems to have tried to knock down a wall with it, which escaped his memory

My first ever tele has been covered in chips in the 15 years I had it, and I dripped touch up into them except these 2. I was playing on a high balcony, and rested it on a chair, that it slipped off and nearly went under the railings to the car park 4 floors below. I left the chips to remind me how close it came, and because one of them is heart shaped

Attached Files:

Minimalist518 likes this.

18. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    So... I hated how this chunk of missing finish looked on the glossy [otherwise] mint guitar. I couldn’t really sleep last night because of it. It was all I could see when looking at the guitar. I kept getting out of bed just to look at the guitar. It was like a dead pixel on a screen. It’s all I could see. So I thought I’d try to blend it in. The finish is so thick, there’s no way the wear will catch up naturally any time soon, so I decided to start a SLOW relic process (promising myself to not get too crazy, but knowing I’d probably refinish it anyway. It was either “refinish it” or “have some fun and then refinish it if you hate it.” I actually don’t hate it. Weird. Here is how today went:

1) comically tap the body in logical areas with random things around my apartment (flashlight, keys, a penny, etc) all while my dog looked at me like I’m a total moron. Dogs are wise.

2) then, I removed a few layers gloss by lightly using an old and softened green Scotch Brite pad in circular/random motions for a few minutes. To me this already made the guitar look better and more vintage, bu the spot still stood out.
    IMG_1521.JPG

3) next, I used a hair-dryer to heat up the body, and (with the can held upside down) sprayed compressed air onto the finish to freeze it and get some finish checking. This turned out pretty well for what my expectations were:
    IMG_1522.JPG

4) then “stained” the chipped areas with coffee. This didn’t do much but did tint slightly. Will do this a few more times over the next week.

5) I did two applications of Meguiars Swirl Remover just to buff out and balance the homemade matte finish a bit (I don’t necessarily want it perfect if it’s a relic anyway). This brought it back to a shine, but still clearly more matte and seems more butterscotch/amber than bumblebee yellow, all without having a thick glass coat.

Overall, I’m 100% satisfied as I now don’t think the original accident looks as out of place. I also like the de-glossed finish with a polished shine much more than the factory finish. The swirl marks are there in a direct light but the finish checking diffuses them and it just looks old (to me). Even CS models have swirl marks. I’m cool with it. It now shows more of the wood grain which was the point of the entire original post so that’s a plus. I think, mainly, I’m actually happiest with the fact that I didn’t go overboard or spend money and it isn’t the worst relic I’ve seen. It was just a fun day making my guitar my own.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    SpringKing and Minimalist518 like this.

19. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    Here are a few more pics

IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG

SpringKing and Minimalist518 like this.

20. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Accidentally hung my Baja on a hanger that was set up for my Les Paul and it fell right through when i let go of it.

20171227_084100_resized.jpg

Fast forward to the happy ending...
    3.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.