Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Gabeezlebub, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:42 PM.

1. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Mn
    Ok gang. U guys r so good that this should be short and sweet. This has probably been covered a million times before. What are the twangiest pickups for a tele?

2. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Mn
    this should be short and sweet. This has probably been covered a million times before. What are the twangiest pickups for a tele?

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Guess you didn't do a search then :D

3-Chord-Genius and blille like this.
  4. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Mn
    Actually I did. But there is so much out there that I started getting overwhelmed. In addition, I trust you guys more than the internet. I am new to this forum and a novice compared to the members of TSPRI. I apologize for my naivete and hope I did’nt offend anyone. Thanks for answering my question.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:10 PM
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Twang King comes to mind immediately. The Godin Cajun bridge coil would be another suggestion, but not sure if it would fit a telecaster bridge.

6. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    Check out Don Mare. He makes some amazing pickups and can likely meet your twang requirements. Personally I think a lot of twang comes from a players technique. But that is another discussion.

rjtwangs and Gabeezlebub like this.
  7. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Most all of them twang. Very few of them don't. The only ones that won't are the really hot ones, like Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds, but if it's an average turn count or anything below, it will twang. I'd also stick with AlNiCo 5, just to play it safe.

ftbtx, Gabeezlebub, beyer160 and 3 others like this.
  8. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Amsterdam
  9. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    You should probably ask in the 'Just Pickups' forum

Gabeezlebub likes this.
  10. sjtalon

Ha ha, not to be a wise guy, but my green smiley is to be taken as, you are going to be in the same boat now (here).

>I apologize for my naivete and hope I did’nt offend anyone.<

Absolutly not a problem my friend, good luck in your quest. These things are pretty opinionated. YOUR ear, YOUR geetar, you may have to just get something and try them yourself.

Page one so far :lol:

Happy pickin'

Gabeezlebub likes this.
  11. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Don't forget to swap pots and caps as they significantly alter the tone of whatever pickups you are using -- it's a system!

Pickup heights.

Also pick closer to the bridge saddles, use some reverb and delay and a compressor.

Gabeezlebub and TLR_ like this.
  13. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Fishman Fluence Gristle Tones. If they're good enough for Greg Koch, they're good enough for me.

They sound glorious, completely silent and have two voicings. Amazing stuff. Check them out on YouYube.

14. sjtalon

:rolleyes:

Why suggest hanging parts, you don't even know what he has in there ??????

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    As far as clear twang, my favorite of the many I have tried is the Duncan Antiquity II bridge pickup. I'm sort of a psycho pickup swapper, but that's one I don't have any reason to change.

Mincer likes this.
  16. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Doesn't matter what any of these guys say- which pickups, what pick, what gauge strings, what technique, what amp, there is NOTHING that can or will twang except ONE pickup.
    I know which one it is.
    And I ain't tellin'.
    Matter of fact... there's only ONE of these magic pickups in existence.
    I have it.
    You can't.
    I won't even let you see or hear it.
    Total secret.

(Anyone dense enough to not imagine a winking emoji thing here, should waste their time continuing reading and reacting to this thread. And definitely do so without approaching the fact that the very definition of "twang" may have once or twice been open to discussion and confusion and unending interpretations.....)

Gabeezlebub and LocoTex like this.
  17. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Bend, OR
    Your fingers

Gabeezlebub, beyer160 and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.