Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickups with more dynamic range?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MrGibbly, Dec 1, 2017.

1. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

You get used to it and it makes you play better!

I love my alnico microcoils. Keystone's are just as good but smoother and less HD.

LowThudd likes this.

2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Hey. That's me!

Dude:cool: . They are super dang awesome.

uriah1, El Tele Lobo and LowThudd like this.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thinking about getting a strat set at some point with adjustable poles.

Tele set for my next tele also.

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the B.L. "Micro-coils". However, since I already have the "Keystones", I can never bring myself to the point of swapping them out for anything else.

LowThudd, songtalk and El Tele Lobo like this.

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Time to "Televise" another tele!

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Nice to meet you on video, Brother Songtalk!

songtalk likes this.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Wouldn’t active EMGs, or others of the type offer the greatest dynamic range?
    Am I confusing dynamic range with frequency response?
    Dunno.

8. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It could be one of those many words guitarists misuse.

9. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Wilde Bill/Becky Lawrence. That's what they are know for, especially the Microcoils. And they are not expensive.
    http://www.wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_MicroCoils.html

10. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Craig Anderton wrote an article that I read somewhere, may have been in Guitar Player, where he talks about how pickup height (in relation to strings) affects the dynamic range of the pickup. In short, when the pickups are close to the strings, the transient peaks are actually higher in relation to moderate picking when compared to peak/nominal ratio of lower pickup settings. He demonstrates this with graphs by comparing the two different pickup height settings. Most of us prefer the overall sound of our pickups a bit lower than super-close; this may be due to the more even dynamic range that results from having some distance from the strings.

In my experience, stacked noise-canceling pickups seem have less dynamic range than true single coils. By dynamic range, I mean hard pick attacks (transient peaks) are really cutting compared to soft/moderate playing. I speculate that this may be because of destructive interference between the sensing coil and the noise-canceling coil (and the lack of such in a true single coil), but I don't know for sure. And not all noise canceling pickups are alike. The best ones are very dynamic.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

While this is true, to an extent, if the pups are too close to the strings you lose dynamic range. This is due to the magnets pulling on the strings. This is easy to test by setting pup heights the way Bill Lawrence recomends. Set the poles two nickels away from the strings and gradually lower them until they reach their sweet spot. I just did this to my strat, and there is a sweet spot, which is MUCH lower than the highest they can go without touching the strings.

While FENDER noiseless pups do IMO have far less dynamic range than single coils, that is a very old design(designed by Bill Lawrence). He has since really upped the game. I think of Fender noiseless pups as prototypes for later designs. lol

Watch the video below. It compares two of BL Noiseless pups(L-280TN and L-200TL) in comparison to a 2014 American Standard which had a broadcaster bridge and twisted tele neck. To me the noiseless sound better, even on a TOP LOADING Mexican Tele! The microcoils are so much betterv that at one time BL wanted to stop making the 280/200 and just make Microcoils. lol

12. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I found the article here http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/whats-the-optimum-guitar-pickup-height

The explanation as to why you get a louder transient when the pickups are close is easy to understand if you consider that magnetic strength at distance drops off exponentially; when you pluck the string, it's at it's maximum of displacement. The closer you get your pickup to that maximum displacement, the more voltage you get at the maximum displacement, relative to the minimum displacement.

Suppose the string displaced 5mm when you pluck it. If the pickup is 10mm away from the string, then the transient string pluck brings the string to within 5mm of the pickup, and it rests 10mm away from the pickup. Now suppose the pickup is only 6mm away from the string, when you pluck the string, it comes to within 1mm of the pole piece and rests 6mm away from the pickup. Since magnetic strength at a distance is not linear, and is inverse cubic, you get a much greater magnetic difference from having the string come to within 1mm of the pole piece than you do having it come to withing 5mm. Greater magnet difference means more voltage, due to Faraday's law, and so that transient, or maximum displacement, it relatively louder.

I see something I disagree with though, he says "With the “tail” of the second, “far” waveform, the sustain stays louder for longer. So, you do indeed get more sustain" he's basically saying that just because the decay amplitude is proportionately close the transient when the pickups is further away, you have more sustain. That is not an increase in sustain, that's merely a decrease of attack. He even acknowledges that you have to turn up the amp to realize that "increased sustain". It's an important distinction, because it leads people to believe that the magnet of pickup causes "damping" of the string, or a reduction of acoustic sustain, which is a popular assumption in the guitar world, but I've done a handful of tests and I see little evidence that this is true. I wrote about it here http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/8010/magnetic-damping-springing

Chicago Matt likes this.

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I've experimented with this a lot, and am also firmly in the "amp is king" camp as far as dynamic range and touch sensitivity go. I love my Keystones and Cavaliers, and they have tremendous dynamic range and touch sensitivity when played through my cranked tweed Deluxe or cranked low-power tweed Twin. But so do my cheap Tex Mex Tele pickups. Only the voicing and output differ to my ears.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM

14. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Good points. I have been using L280s for at least 10 years, and I am perfectly happy. However, I tend to prefer my pups pretty close. Different strokes, etc.

15. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    The perceived dynamic range and the magnet's physical interaction upon the string's movement are not related. The magnetic pull does influence the way the string vibrates, but it causes almost no reduction in overall movement energy. In a mass spring damper system, the damper removes energy by converting energy to heat. Magnetic pull doesn't convert any energy to heat.

16. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    That is probably true. The magnetic pull does affect the way the strings vibrate, thus changing their sound. Maybe this is what I am saying and not using the term correctly. I just got done LOWERING my strat pups an 1/8th turn of the screw at a time to find the sweet spot. I was surprised not only that where I thought I had them was best previously, but how much of a change even an 1/8th of a turn could make while fine tuning. Especially on the bridge pup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.