Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup Wizard vs Don Mare

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WJKIM, Dec 5, 2017.

1. WJKIM

WJKIM TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Boston
    Hi, I've just ordered a Broadcaster set from "Pickup Wizard". I wonder how the Broadcaster pickups differ from PW and Don Mare. Are there any other boutique Broadcaster pups that sound extraordinary?

And what's the difference between the early Broadcaster pups vs Tele pups? Tonally...

warrent likes this.

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Never heard of pickup wizard (and kind of a strange name), but Don Mare makes extraordinary pickups. His knowledge and experience with Fender pickups is right up there too.

AJ Love likes this.

3. WJKIM

WJKIM TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Boston
    you don't know about pickup wizard? I hear really really good reviews of theirs. Go on YouTube and listen.

4. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    I don’t know PW either but I do have Don Mare Hayrides for my Tele and White-0-Tones for my Strat. I can say that I love both sets and that Don is a pleasure to work with.

AJ Love likes this.

5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA

6. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Got a set of Jazzmaster pickups from the Wiz a few years ago - excellent quality!

7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    I've got a 1965-68 CBS Style Tele bridge pup from the Wiz and a set of Don Mare pups (Big Box neck +Hot BakeLites bridge). Those are 3 fantastic pups and you can't go wrong with either builder. The hardest part will be to choose the right pickup for your needs !

I first thought that the wiz was lacking bass response but combined with a Lollar Regal it is just a perfect match for my '72 Tele Custom Partcaster !

8. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Not knocking the Pickup Wizard, but the replacement pickup world has "name" builders and Mare is one of them, along with Duncan, Dimarzio, Lollar, Lawrence, Fralin, and more. They are all good, and maybe the Pickup Wizard is just as good as them, but I don't think he has the reputation of Don Mare and that may matter or may not matter in the decision, depends on the buyer.

screamin eagle, AJ Love and Antoon like this.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    It is hard for me to imagine a modern day pickup that sounds more like a Vintage pickup than one made by Don Mare

Having said that, I haven't tried them all, and will certainly agree with "user error" as being a reason why I couldn't get a better sound out of a different pickup than Mare...

I'll say this: you can really change tone by changing out speakers, strings, picks, amps, tubes in amps and especially players. All of that can sometimes lead to pickups being blamed for something else that is "off" in the signal chain. Heck, even the pickup settings themselves can cause drastic changes for better or worse depending on how they are set.

What Don's pickups have, similar to Vintage pickups, is tremendous versatility.... A lot of pickups made today have one particular tone in general. It is what it is...Mare pickups have tons of variety within each pickup, and can sound dead on like a Vintage pickup if using the right amp, strings, pick attack etc

Just my two cents

screamin eagle likes this.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    That summed it up pretty well. Dons’s pickups are really at the finish line. Not that others’ aren’t, but Don’s aren’t an approximation of a specific tone. They are THEE tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.