Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup wiring

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dcos, Apr 16, 2018.

1. dcos

dcos TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Sand Lake, Michigan
    I bought a set of what were supposed to be Fender '64 reissue pickups for my Tele kit build from an on line dealer. When I put them in, they sounded incredibly thin, not good tone at all. I thought I wired them correctly, but wonder if I had the wires reversed. Anyone know if that would cause my problem or would they just not work if I wired them backwards?

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just the middle position thin? Or all positions in general? Bridge and neck by themselves should be "normal".

Adjust the pickup heights and maybe check the outputs with a multimeter. Check your wiring?

Reputable dealer?

Hope you get it figured out.

3. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Can you take a pic of the wiring for us? That’s usually the most helpful thing.

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    A little more specific? Thin in all positions? Quick answer-If the leads are reversed you will get sound.

5. dcos

dcos TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Sand Lake, Michigan

Very thin sound in all positions. They aren't in the guitar anymore, I put the ones that came with the kit in and they sound way better than the supposed Fenders did. I don't know how reputable the dealer is, it was Stratosphere.

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Stratosphere is reputable. They sent me an incorrectly described/pictured tele bridge and when I pointed out the error they sent me a prepaid label to return it and refunded everything including original shipping costs.
    It would still be a good idea to try to meter the pickup to see if you just got a lemon (and therefore might accept an exchange vs. a refund).

Cheers,
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.