Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup Wire Length

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by samuelmorrissey, May 17, 2017.

1. samuelmorrissey

samuelmorrissey TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Hi Folks,

Putting in an offer to upgrade the pickups on my Tele on a classifieds site used here in Ireland. They're a set from a Mexican Tele Deluxe.

See photos below..the owner says the Blue wire on the bridge is ground and the yellow is the live (he said 'positive'). He said the blue wire is about 3 inches long and the yellow is about 8 inches which can be clearly seen in the photos.

I'm wondering if this blue (or ground) wire is long enough to reach a point to ground it? Or if the blue wire is a ground at all?

Would it be possible to ground it elsewhere? Or even possible to change the wire for a longer one? I have vintage pullback cloth wire but I'd be a bit apprehensiev to tackle that in case of damaging the other wires

Just wanted to get some opinions on here to see if it's a go-er!

Thanks
    S

Attached Files:

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes yellow goes to the switch, and if you have to add some to that blue, that's no problem. Solder a piece on, then tape it or shrink wrap, even butt terminal it on, whatever.

soulman969 and rich815 like this.

3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    On a Standard Mex Tele the pickup ground would have a lug soldered to it. The lug is secured under one of the pickup mounting screws against the bridge plate to provide the necessary bridge grounding. A further piece of wire would extend from the lug to the back of the volume pot grounding point.

Attached Files:

4. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Ok so in my case the blue wire would be soldered to a lug on one of the screws under the bridge plate. Then from there I can bring a new wire to the top of the volume grounding point?

Thanks,
    S

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Yes, the pickups in your pics seem to be from a Classic Series 50s or 60s and would be wired that way.
    Personally I would ask the seller why the blue wire has been cut off at the lug leaving it too short to use. Maybe get a price reduction. Those lugs are not easy to find.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

6. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Will do Tux thanks! The pickups are at a pretty good price already I think and I even took him down below his asking price and he's even posting it to the other side of the country! I'm getting a good bargain I think :)

Is there any alternative to using a lug? Or any way to make one / use something similar? I can take a look on my Tele at the minute but i highly doubt there's one there

Thanks
    S

7. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Don a bit of research online and that seems to be an easy solution. I can connect the wires, solder over the connection, use heat shrink tube (need to find some of that stuff) and then the general consensus is to use copper foil or electrical tape over the solder / shrink tube joint and that's it!

8. sjtalon

Either tape OR shrink tube, just insulate the bare is all.

Crimp on ring terminals are easy to find, any hardware store or auto shop:

[​IMG]

9. sjtalon

Like this (he may have just taken the terminal off the blue.)

Attached Files:

10. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Thanks for the info sjtalon! The photos are really helpful! I'm gonna check out a local hardware shop tomorrow to see if they have any of those terminals, might grab a few as they may come in handy!

On the second photo, would the location of the terminal at the front of the pickup have an effect on how it's held in the bridge?

Thanks
    S

11. sjtalon

You are more than welcome.

>On the second photo, would the location of the terminal at the front of the pickup have an effect on how it's held in the bridge?<

No, any one of the screws could have the terminal, as the contact with the bridge to ground (via the wire with the terminal) is all that matters. As far as the pick up and it's position in the bridge plate in relation to the strings, (height) that's what's nice about having the three mount screws, you can adjust it after any way you like.

So with wiring it that way, you kill two birds with one stone. The negative coil wire gets grounded, and the bridge plate (and strings) are grounded via the same wire.

Ground is ground (earth) so as long as anything that needs to be grounded is, one way or another, that's all that matters.

It's really that basic.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

12. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    you don't need a special terminal lug for a bridge plate grounding wire.

method 1 ... take a 6"-8" or so length of stranded small gauge wire - 24-28ga - strip off 1.5" to 2", twist the strands with yer fingers, wrap that twisted end twice around a 3/16" or so diameter nail or screwdriver or whatever, then twist the tag end of the doubled loop around itself. mash the wire loop flat with a pair of pliers. tin/solder the loop. voila, instant lug to slip over one of the pup's mounting screws and a perfect bridge ground.

method 2 ... bare about an inch of the end of that small gauge stranded wire, twist the strands, loop into and around a small washer, tin/solder, done. but method 1 is simpler with no other parts than the wire itself.

[​IMG]

CFFF likes this.

13. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth

Thanks for the reply Rob! Apologies I'm only getting back now..

In method 1 you descibed above, how would that ground with the wire straight from the pickup?

I understand I could use a washer to create the ground as you described in method 2 above with the smaller wire (blue one in my photos) but I don't think I could do method 1 as I'll be using the wire coming from the pickup

Unless there's something here I'm missing?

I'm thinking of going down the extending the wire route, so soldering an extra length of wire, using some shrink tube to keep it protected and then some insulation / shielding tape on top.

Unless of course I can get some of those terminal lugs pretty handy!

14. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX

15. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Rob, you sir, are a gentleman!

That makes perfect sense now, thanks!

Hopefully there's enough wire left on the bridge ground to do it! :eek::)

16. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    i don't understand ... ? this is a separate wire, most any type or gauge will do, i'm using 28ga stranded. the whole concept is to separate the bridge string ground from the coil wire leads on the pickup, so that if needed the the pickup's leads can be flipped to care for a phasing issue. this separate string ground "washer" slips over a bridge pickup mounting screw, and it's wire is fed to the control cavity and then soldered to the back of any pot. hope that helps.

17. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Sorry, I'm not too up to speed with the technical terms etc but I'll try explain it

So, I have two wires coming from the pickup, yellow is the hot / live wire and blue is the ground. (See photo)

The ground wire, at its current length, wont reach to the top of a pot, so I think the suggestions above were to use a lug / terminal on one of the pickup mounting screws, solder it (the wire from the pickup) onto the lug and from that soldered point, take another wire and ground that to the top of a pot. Essentially forming a link with the wire coming from the pickup, to the lug / terminal, then to the top of the pot

Is this correct? Or is it sufficient to ground it just at that terminal / lug ?

So what happens to the wire coming directly from the bridge pickup if you've already grounded it with the separate wire? Is it just left in the cavity?

Apologies if there's some stupid questions in there, my experience with electrics goes as far as changing a few wires using very simple schematics!

You might check out the photo and advise on the best thing to do

Thanks for your help
    S

Attached Files:

18. sjtalon

>Or is it sufficient to ground it just at that terminal / lug ?<

As our pictures show, a ring of whatever sort can be put on the blue wire, then a wire of significant length to reach the pot can be put WITH that blue wire in whatever fashion you have it on the bridge plate screw.

See how there are TWO blue wires in the ring terminal of my bridge pickup picture on the right ? For simplicity you could say one in (pickup coil lead), one out (to the pot)

As I posted previous:
    Ground is ground (earth) so as long as anything that needs to be grounded is, one way or another, that's all that matters.

Blue wire to bridge screw, then an (added) wire to the pot connected to that, and all that needs to be to a ground point there is.

You have:
    Blue negative (ground) coil wire
    Bridge plate (via the screw the terminal is on)

Wire to the pot, grounds those two items......DONE DEAL.

Don't try to over think it.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    samuelmorrissey likes this.

19. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Thanks for the clarification, I think I am overthinking it, but I think I've got it now

So when adding this additional wire, does this need to be soldered to ring or loop on the ground or vice versa? So make the loop with say, the longer additional wire, hook that around the pickup screw then solder the pickup ground onto that additional wire, essentially creating 2 wires (one in / one out) coming into a ring / loop that'll be on the mounting screw? Have I got that right?

Thanks again for the info and apologies for the stupid questions! You're advice is much appreciated!

20. sjtalon

>the longer additional wire, hook that around the pickup screw then solder the pickup ground onto that additional wire, essentially creating 2 wires (one in / one out) coming into a ring / loop that'll be on the mounting screw? Have I got that right?<

100 %

Do keep us posted how you make out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.