Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup suggestions for garage rock?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Luciano, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Luciano

Luciano TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Pepperland
    I have a mim standard hss strat and am considering changing out all the pickups, but I'm kind of specifically asking about the bridge pickup here, since I have other plans for the neck and middle. It just doesn't look like a proper strat to me with the humbucker, and the stock pups seem to be made to be kind of good at everything, instead of really good at one thing, and it's becoming more obvious now that I'm starting to write original music. Basically, what I want is a bridge single coil good for fizz-y, jangly garage rock tones like on The Who's early stuff, The Beatles' Revolver, Courtney Barnett, The Strokes, et. Anyone have any suggestions? I use mainly Orange and Fender amps, if that helps.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Danelectro type Lipstick pickup. Will probably take some finessing to fit to a stock plate, but they are worth it. They are of that era, which helps with authenticity too.

3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2010
    Central Connecticut
    What's your budget?

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I find it difficult giving pickup advice --then again it can be easy. I'd look into a TV Jones Classic Plus for the bridge.

5. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Humbucker rout? I'd be tempted to go with a HB sized P90 in the bridge and then put the funkier pickups in the middle or neck positions. I'd be looking at a gold foil for the neck and I'd probably keep the strat pickup in the middle.

6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    The garage rock era of the sixties had a lot of Silvertones/DanElectros, various Fenders, Les Paul Jrs and Specials, Hagstroms and even more Teiscos, and foreign cheapos. The kids from upper middle class suburbs had better guitars.

Lots of single coils and some humbuckers.

7. Luciano

Luciano TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Pepperland
    Lipsticks and p90's are a good point, but I really want it to look like a normal strat. As for price, 50-100$

8. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    There were plenty of Stratocasters in the sixties, although some of the other model Fenders were more common as I recall, probably because of surf music. If it is a Strat, can't you just get a standard Strat pickguard and put a typical Strat single coil in the bridge?

9. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    Change amps?

Teisco if you want originality. GFS gold foils if you want faux. Dearmond, if money is no object.

10. Luciano

Luciano TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Pepperland
    Yeah, I've been looking at several fender replacement pups, but I'm wondering if any of the duncan/dimarzio/fender,... et typical strat style pickups are particularly good for it.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re-reading your first post, I see you want a regular Strat look. Why not just go with a better Strat pickup? Honestly "garage rock" in the past was made by whatever one has on hand, and usually cheap 'junk'. A Strat makes quacky strat sounds, and unless you want a SD Lil '59 in the bridge (there are many strat-sized 'buckers out there but this one rings my bell), I don't see many options besides the Strat-sized gold foils and the mentioned lipsticks.

For what you said about The Who and The Beatles, both bands made use of Filter'Tron Gretsch guitars--and a 'Tron will give you jangle, but so will any single coil guitar. Regular buckers, not so much.

12. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    Well, I suggest looking for pickups that are not overly hot. You will get a more jangly sound with a bright amp setting and not real high output pickups.

13. Luciano

Luciano TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Pepperland
    That's what I guess I was trying to get at: Which of Fender's or anyones' replacement pups would be best, since they make so many? Like the 57/62's, or 65's, a duncan antiquity II surfer, Dimarzio area 61. Does anyone have something good or bad to say about any of those or another similar thing?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    as others have suggested, I'd go with goldfoils

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.