Pickup suggestions for a « jazzier » tone

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Danz, Feb 4, 2019.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

For grins, I took a 2019 Performer Tele for a spin through a Deluxe Reverb at Guitar Center. I bought it because of the amazing jazz tone from the neck humbucker. It is one of the new Yosemite pickups with an A4 magnet.

[​IMG]

El Tele Lobo and santiago53 like this.
  2. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Good luck. I've used pickups wound by the same guy, didn't work. Also, get some flat wounds.

El Tele Lobo and Vespa_One like this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

That tone seemed very achievable. Normal Tele into blackface amp, adjust knobs, play. The rest is in the hands.

El Tele Lobo and DHart like this.
  4. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

My point exactly. Bill makes any twangy Tele sound like butter.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

An SG?

[​IMG]

Nah I think you are on the right track with the pup suggestions you have now.

I've heard that Aluminum is the twangiest of twangy saddle materials (I think on the Glendale website)

Also tele bridge pickups in particular are know to be bright.

A princeton reverb is not exactly the last name in fat tone though, particularly at lower volumes, so maybe take the tele to the shop and try out a few different amps before you dump too much into modifying the guitar.

Before you even do that try turning the treble down and turning the amp up, it should give you more fatness, try a clean boost or some overdrives you can really change the shape of your tone in that way, or try an eq or try a compressor with a tone knob etc.

Heavier strings will defs fatten up a tele and use nickle strings they are warmer too. The difference between .009 and .011 gauge sets is profound.

If it was me I'd start with (list below), and I suspect I'd stop with 1. or 2.

1. amp settings, effects settings, guitar knobs,
    2. strings
    3. Amp
    4. pups

On the other hand it's fun to replace pickups and the lollar specials are some fat hot tele pickups to be sure.

Have fun!!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.