Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Pickup spacing, is it a big deal ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RandumbTune, Jun 25, 2013.

1. RandumbTune

RandumbTune TDPRI Member

May 28, 2012
    Sweden
    Hi everyone, I ordered the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary DP223 pickup for my self made/assembled tele.
    I was a bit tired and low on energy when I ordered the pickups, and even the shop keeper didn't asked me any questions, and I received the pickup and after installing on the guitar I noticed that the poles were not aligning straight with the 1st E and B string. And I realized I should have specified that I need F-spaced pickups while ordering. Looks like I got the pickup meant for Les-paul guitars.
    I checked the specs and it seems the String-Spacing (on bridge) for Les-Paul it is ~43mm, and for Fender ~51mm. And that is why the 1st and 2nd string looked few mm off from the center of their respective pole pieces.

Then I played the guitar for a while and because I am no expert in all this, I didn't notice any problem. So is this string alignment with pole pieces, how big is this problem ?

What do you folks suggest ? shall I just use this pickup in the neck-position instead ?

2. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    My experience has been, that the poles for the neck PU should be right under the strings for good string balance. For the lead PU, doesn't seem so important. Not a scientific study; just what I have noticed over the years.

Good luck!

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I agree with Donelson.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. gemktm

gemktm Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2009
    CT USA
    I have thrown reg humbuckers in my Floyd-ed strat and when the string spacing doesn't line up I may lift that side of the pup a little more but have never thought it to be much of a problem.

6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Standard Dimarzio HBs are 48.6mm spacing and F types 51mm. Less than 1.5mm difference.
    The standard Tele bridge is 54mm so you're never going to get perfect alignment.

In the past I have bent the mounting lugs to shift the pickup slightly over to one side so that the strings are centered over the pickup although not over the center of the pole pieces.

7. RandumbTune

RandumbTune TDPRI Member

May 28, 2012
    Sweden
    Thanks for your inputs, so I'll leave the guitar as it is then. BTW it looks like this now:
    [​IMG]

8. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, an F-spaced pickup would line up a little better. 2.4mm worth, which is why they're called (F)ender spaced. DiMarzio has an exchange program.

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    You can also raise the individual screws under each string to compensate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.