Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Pickup Selection Help

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by zooyuka, Feb 13, 2012.

1. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
    I have MIM tele that I would like to change the pickups on. I really dislike the stock pickups. The bridge pickup I find to be to shrill and sounds more honky than twangy. I prefer the neck pickup, but I find it too muddy sounding.

I'm not sure what pick ups I would like. I would like to have a nice fat classic rock tone. Would the Custom Shop Texas Specials fit the bill for this? I'm open to any suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. TeleLover223

TeleLover223 TDPRI Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Have you thought about changing the electronics first? On my squier
    CV tele I got a 4 way harness from TundraTone.com and it clears my pickups right up and sounds A LOT better. Anyways, just a thought.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
    No, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. All I know is I don't like the sound and want to change it. Whatever I do, I plan on paying someone to do it for me.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

dimarzio twang king pickups. i put them in my mim tele and theyre great. i also heard good thinga about keystones

6. Televised

Televised Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I'd check out the "Wilde" green tab regarding Bill & Becky Lawrence on the supporting vendor tab at the top of the page.
    The Bill Lawrence "Keystone" Pups that I purchased for my '06 MIM Tele is still one of the best bang for the buck gear items I have, (Tele Set < $75). However, if given the same choice today I would probably purchase the Bill Lawrence "Micro-Coils", (Tele Set < $100).
    Hard to go wrong with either one and certainly reasonably priced. The tone I would describe as Clear, Rich, and quiet for single coils.

7. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
    What about the lil '59? Do any of you have thoughts on that?

8. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

To answer your question...Yes..in my experience of owning them along with several other brands that I own. The CS Texas Spcls have a nice warm tone..You could certainly do Classic Rock with lower output pups...but your stock Tele pups are probably ceramic..and not so twangy. If you want some Twang..go with lower output 6-6.5k pups that are either AlNico 3 or 5 mags.

Good luck in your search..Youtube has lots of video demos
    ;)

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    If '52 OVs are still on sale for $62 @ Amazon, they'll do it fine.With a 4 way switch you'll even get a strong output.

10. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

Aug 27, 2010
    Rofo, PA
    Alnico 5's over 3's IMO ...

11. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
    They are 77 now at Amazon, but that still seems reasonable. I keep going back and forth if I will try and install them myself. How difficult is it for a noob? Will I need to adjust the magnets?

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I don't think they adjust.Too bad they went up,but ebay has them all the time.They are the only original p/ups I never changed.I think mine are AlNiCo 5s.

13. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
    How difficult is the wiring?

14. Mreilander

Mreilander Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Vancouver Canada
    Just put the wires for the new ones were you took off the old ones. You pickups will come with a diagram.

15. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
    Ok, I'm just uptight about making the swap myself. How much does a shop usually charge to swap them?

16. harphunt

harphunt TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
  17. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    My tech was charging me $40, but I was changing stuff so often I just started doing it myself.

For the sound you're after, I would recommend you check out a set of Budz Guitars 42 and Tall pups. A nice fat, warm bridge, and the sweetest sounding neck pup I've ever played.:cool:

18. Mreilander

Apr 3, 2011
    Vancouver Canada
    ^^ yes. It's easy, once you do it you'll be looking for the staples 'easy button'

19. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
    Ok, I'll take the plunge and do it myself. What tools would I need?

20. Mreilander

Apr 3, 2011
    Vancouver Canada
    You'll need a philips screw driver to take off the control plate, pickguard and pickups. A bigger (I think a #2) phillips Screwdriver for the bridge . A soldering iron, and a little bit of solder.

21. zooyuka

zooyuka Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2006
    Youngsville, LA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.