Pickup Pole Piece Relicing

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Rob DiStefano, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

billy penn has the quick and easy answer ....

FrontPU, SPUDCASTER, ftbtx and 4 others like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, that stuff I am familiar with for getting good electrical connections etc. Wouldnt have thought of it for this. Here is the brand Home Depot carries and its about $30 a bottle.
    IMG_1828.JPG

FrontPU likes this.
  3. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    The easiest stuff to get that I have found is Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Bass Pro, Dick's, Amazon etc will probably have it. Already tested on Cavalier pickups. Thanks Rob.

BWC.jpg

Leddin Pickups and FrontPU like this.
  4. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

Have you actually tried it on alnico? I wouldn't think that Noalox would darken it in the way that the Aluminum Black does. On aluminum wire, Noalox prevents oxidation rather than causing it.

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I've been wondering about this for a long time, especially since Seymour Duncan and GFS's relic'd Fender style pickups have a hefty upcharge. I thinking darkened pole pieces look pretty good on a lot of guitars, even if they aren't relic'd otherwise.

I saw that the video was three minutes long, and figured there would be some sort of process involved, but it could be summed up in four words: "apply aluminium oxidizing solution"

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I was strickly going by the “oxidizer” description in the video. You’re right, I was thinking it is an etching solution (acid), isnt it? Maybe its a clear alodine or something. In any case the stuff used in the video is causing
    some surface conversion because it comes out of the bottle green and turns the poles black. An acid reacting with the nickle or cobalt?

7. Antigua Tele

I have this a try on a pole piece as well as a pickguard screw:

[​IMG]

Looks like it's pretty effective on both. I also wiped some onto a spare pickguard and pickup cover to see if it would have any adverse reaction, and there was none, so it looks like you can wipe the stuff on without having to disassemble the guitar at all.

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've used Birchwood Casey and Carr's metal blacking products on models for years. It's worth experimenting with the brass and aluminium types. The brass type often achieves a more subtle aged look.

RodeoTex likes this.
  9. Antigua Tele

So I bought a container of the Brass Black, and it didn't work on the AlNiCo pole pieces or the pick guard screws, I guess because either is similar enough to brass to work, but I don't know, I'm not a chemist.

Another thing I found out though, is that even with the Aluminum Black, you have to make sure the metal is very clean. A barely visible or felt layer of wax or whatever can apparently be enough to prevent the oxidation reaction with the product and the target metal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.