Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup polarity ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SnidelyWhiplash, Dec 3, 2018.

1. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I have an older Tele neck pickup that I have been thinking about using. It points South with a compass. I would have to match it with a bridge. The one I'm thinking about getting also points South per manufacturer's spec. My ? is, can I use both together? I know that mixing pickups from different winders can be a crap shoot.

Is there a simple way to take the guessing game out of the equation?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

> wound South <

I'm thinkin' you mean polarity ?

Sure you can use them together. You just won't get noise reduction, which may not
    be that big a deal.

Only other thing is they could be out of phase with each other, but with a minor mod of one of the pickups, that can be corrected.

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    Corrected. Yes, the polarity is South.

Define " minor mod " ? Switching the leads? :cool:

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

ADD A DEDICATED COVER (shield) GROUND WIRE

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html
    ^^^
    Bottom of the page, snip the bare jumper off as close to the "A" solder glob (eyelet) as you can, then solder a wire to that stub of wire (or to the solder blob at "C"... that's the cover tab) and run it to the back of a pot, GROUND. You end up with a THREE wire pickup, good for 4 way switch and/or phase reversal.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Simple to change the polarity of one of the pickups if you wish to have a noise free middle position.

You can find neodymium magnets fairly cheap at your local NAPA store. Do a search here for instructions.

Sjtalon has given you good info on the phasing.

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Different polarity does not provide hum cancelling. That is achieved when two coils are combined with different wind direction.

You can have hum cancelling with two pickups out of phase because of similar polarity but different wind direction.The sound is generally regarded as thin and undesirable but you won't have mains cycle hum.

For pickups with such two coils to be in phase they also then need to have different magnet polarity.

Hence the expression RW/RP (reverse wind/reverse polarity)

7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    as long as there is no cover or base plate coil wire ground strap involved, flipping the leads will take care of any phasing issues. if there is such a coil wire ground strap, just break it and install an independent cover or base plate ground wire.

as to the top magnetic polarity of any rod magnetic based pickup, the polarity flip is quite easy to accomplish ...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/flip-a-pickups-top-magnetic-polarity.853731/

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I'm not convinced your pickups are not opposite polarity already.
    I'm understanding you to say that you have a neck pickup on hand, and the top of this pickup attracts the south needle of a compass. There is a bridge pickup you do not have on hand, but the manufacturer of the bridge pickup says it's "South" polarity. There is some inconsistency in the way people refer to polarity, but if the top of the neck pickup is attracting the south needle of the compass, one might say your neck pickup is "North" polarity. In this case they will be noise cancelling together and phase is easily corrected (if needed) by reversing wires. See comments here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-understand-pickup-polarity.49326/

Good luck,
    Rex

9. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    terminology semantics - "top magnetic south" means just that - the top of the pickup bobbin's rod magnets will attract the NORTH needle of a magnetic compass because opposites attract.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.