Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup options for G&L Legacy Tribute

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by death-to-yancey, Nov 25, 2017.

1. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Hey folks,
    I picked up a sweet playing and looking little Legacy Pro today as part of a trade, and I love the feel of this guitar. It plays so nice, and seems to be built really solid so I couldn’t let it go. It’s only a few months old so basically brand new. Only thing is I’m not super excited about the pickups in these. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea, they are pretty bright pickups. I do like the note separation though. I don’t know a lot about G&L other than the backstory and basics and that they seem to have a lot of fans, but I have now found out that they are quite a bit different from Fender in materials ie a lot isn’t interchangeable. I now know that buying a loaded fender pickguard is out of the question, but will pickups for stratocasters, both from fender and custom winders, fit and drop in like normal? I’m thinking a set of Fralin Blues Specials or similar for this guitar. Also kicking around the idea of a humbucker in the bridge but I don’t know if I want to go through the trouble of custom ordering a pickguard. They look to be pretty expensive and at least one place would have to have the original sent in with it. Thanks for any info!

2. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Excuse me if I sound like a jerk but when I read my pickups are bright and I wanna change em I go oh no dont rush to replace those pickups. Bill Lawrence once discussed all the ways you can fix your tone without resorting to spending lots of money on pickups. Keep the pickups, save your money, play with the pickup height, use your tone controls and if that doesnt work use an eq pedal. Take all that time you are wasting reading about pickups and instead spend it practicing and writing music. I feel like people create problems that can only be solved by new gear just so they can buy new gear. You just got the guitar today and you are researching pickups?! Seriously? I’ve got a guitar that is 3 months old that still surprises me with what it can do.

CK Dexter Haven and JL_LI like this.

3. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    I understand what you’re saying, and believe me I’m not planning on buying a set of pickups tonight, or this week or month more than likely. First thing I was just wondering what the options were. But not all pickups can be made to sound exactly the same. They each for the most part have a certain characteristic, that itself can be adjusted and be way or the other, but the tonal profile usually remains the intact. What I’m saying with these in particular, is they are of the bright, articulate type of pickups. Which sound really great for what they are. And I’m still tinkering with them. I have them pretty high at the moment, and will continue adjusting this week. Then I’ll move to the lower settings. I have certain sounds I like. And if they can’t give me that they will go lol

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Are these regular pickups or MFD's? What value pots and caps do you have? A higher value cap or lower value pot can make a difference.

5. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    From what I read and if I’m remembering right the volume pot is 500k, so that could attribute to the brightness. The pickups are AlNiCo V’s. I like the PTB system in principle, but so I’m hoping it can be kept while bringing the brightness down some. I’m still tinkering with it with these pups, but haven’t found the combination I’m looking for yet.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Looking at the diagram, it shows a 250k volume, 500k treble cut and a 1meg bass cut. The treble cut has a .022 cap and the bass cut also has a .022 cap. I would try a .033 cap on the treble cut and then maybe a .047 to tame the highs.

Attached Files:

7. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Just got a Legacy myself. Love the bridge but the neck doesn't have near the volume. Right now I'm planning on leaving the original bridge and replacing the neck. Thinking about putting a Twisted Tele if it will fit.

8. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Unlike a Strat, optimal control settings on a Legacy are generally not 10s across the board. Try rolling back the high control until you dig it, I find Legacy pickups to be particularly nice once you get comfortable with the controls. They're pretty standard flat-poled A5 pickups, what makes them sound unique is the PTB (Passive Treble Bass) tone control layout.

If I'd played a Legacy first, I wouldn't have spent so much time flipping Strats.

9. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    I’ve been fiddling with it the past couple days and you’re right, dimed out across the board doesn’t work (at least not all of the time) and each position is different. I’m starting to get tones that I’m really digging now. The neck and middle needed lowered and the bridge raised. The neck and middle can get some nice creamy tones with the treble rolled back. It’s starting to look like this may be a very versatile guitar. The build quality is outstanding though. Gotta give a tip of the hat to G&L on what they do at the price point.

tomas83 likes this.

10. Bird Dog

Bird Dog TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Jefferson City, Mo
    I picked up a Legacy Tribute last year, very nice axe. Just like a stock Strat though, I could not get along with the stock PUPs for all gigging situations. The 60 cycle hum in some venues just irritates me and the bridge PUP really lacked balls. I replaced them with a Dimarzio Area 61 in the neck, Area 67 middle, and Dimarzio Chopper in the bridge.

The G&L PTB control system is actually pretty cool and I think I could get used to it. However, I put a EMG SPC control in the middle control. And a 250K tone in the back control that is hooked up to the bridge PUP only. I can get along without a tone control on the front two PUPs and taking the tone control out of the circuit livens them up a bit.

The Dimarzio Areas have a fatter and slightly smokier sound than the stock G&L Alnicos which were quite "chimey", much like classic Fender Strat PUPs. If you have to have that very glassy late 60s-70s Strat tone, you're better off with the stock Legacy PUPs. If you want noiseless PUPs with a fuller overdriven sound for soloing and a very good clean sound of their own, the Dimarzio Areas are very nice. The #4 position (between neck and middle) has a very funky Strat quack. In either case the Chopper is nice choice for the bridge. It's not ridiculous hot and thick like a SD Hot Rails, but it fattens things up enough for superior bridge soloing in humbucking mode. It can be split too if you like the thinner Strat bridge tone. I could be quite happy with a Chopper bridge and the stock Legacy PUPs, but you would only be noiseless in the #1 (bridge) and #4 positions.

The EMG SPC gives you a lot of control for fattening tone. Just dialing in a little livens up your tone. Diming the SPC out turns the axe into a beast, your sound guy may not like it though. The more I play it, the more I believe less is more when using the SPC, but the raw power is there if you want it. Even without it though, this PUP arrangement adds a lot of punch to that guitar.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

11. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

If you really have to spend money on pickups, get Rose pickups. The customs will cost you $70. You have quite a lot of options to choose from. Every time I played a USA Legacy I really loved them and was always able to find the right tone by playing with controls. The prices on the used ones are still too high for me so I won’t be byuing one any time soon. Btw. All Tribute series come with USA made pickups unless things changed, so keep that in mind too.

12. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands

13. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    I'd grab a used set of Duncan SSL-2 (alnico flat pole strat pickups), as used in the older G&L Legacies

14. davguitar

davguitar Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    That used to be so, but the Indonesian made Tributes (I own one) no longer have USA pickups or hardware. I just sent back my defective Asian vibrato and they're sending me out another one.

I have a USA Legacy also and I put DiMarzio Areas in that. I like the pickups that came with the Tribute. As someone already said they are bright (like a Strat) and working with the tone controls this can be a very tonally versatile guitar.

15. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I thought the hardware was always MIA that only the pickups were USA, too bad that changed too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.