Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup Builders I have questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bassestkkm, Jun 4, 2014.

1. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    The directions say to wrap the end wire with electric tape once they are soldered to the hookup wire. Is there an easier way? My tape keeps falling off. I thought about heat shrink. Should I heat shrink the electrical tape?

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

I use a cloth electrical tape available at any hardware store. The stuff sticks tenaciously to itself and is easy to wrap. It's also called "friction tape".

3. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Awesome thanks for the suggestion. I shall look into it. I've started the process. I'm tryin to lay out the harder parts and then solder them in once I'm happy with the fit and all. So far so good.

I'm a bit annoyed that I lost the nuts to the pots. But I'll check and see what can be done.

View attachment 282958 View attachment 282959

4. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Phoned Dimarzio yesterday to tell them about the nuts for the pots. They called me back, got my info, and are gonna send me nuts in the mail tomorrow :) awesome customer service from them and makes me quite happy

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Great news. Seems I always have spare nuts for pots--that are always the wrong size from what I need!

6. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Haha I know that feeling! That's exactly what happened. But soon enough this will all be behind me. I guess pickup mounting screws are the only thing left to buy :) so close

7. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    One of my good friends is the owner and maker of OddfellowFX. So I had him help me give my wiring job a once over before I moved forward. He caught some mistakes and issues with my wiring so I'm really fortunate and glad I sought him out. In the process I remembered that I still need to wrap the pickup leads with tape so that's the next order of business. Soon it'll all be ready to go. There's a project due in my plant Biology class in a couple weeks and I'm presenting this guitar so I've got a good reason to get it up and running soon :) My hope is to have it done tomorrow because I'm getting a bit too anxious to get it done. Anyways more to come soon.

8. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Man, I wish I had been smart enough to build a guitar for a biology class project. If you wrote up how you sold that to the teacher, I bet you could make some serious coin sellin the info!,

bassestkkm likes this.

9. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Well they asked for it haha I'll take that over something lesser its all done and buttoned up. I'm not a guitarist. I think that's important to mention. Though I do like playing them. Thanks for all the help

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Congrats! You did it! Sounds great. What's up next?

11. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    In the next few weeks its going to be finishing up this year of college and then into the summer. I want to make a bass since its my primary stringed instrument. I have a P bass that was converted to a Music Man pickup so I was thinking about making it a new neck. Otherwise I was thinking about making a maple necked something. Its all up in the air. In the meantime. I've got a friend who wants to make a cabronita with a few mods so I might help him do that. As for pickups I'm not entirely sure. He has a Squire Strat that's a good candidate for new pickups and some upgrades.

I think I may start a running thread so I don't keep having to make new ones. though its nice having each thing separate. It helps my brain not have to dig through things.

12. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    I use heat-shrink tubing for insulation on the hookup wires. I've used cloth tape, but the wad of 1/8" heat-shrinked wires makes a nice tight bundle that can stuff between coils pretty easy.

13. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Yeah I ended up doing half and half. Both methods work pretty well haha

14. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Well an update a couple years in. The neck pickup decided it wanted to tear both coils. I have no idea how or why so I'm in the process of doing a rewind. It's a little frustrating since it sounded really good to me but luckily I had this thread and have the wind count to go off. Thanks for all the hold in the process.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.