Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup Builders I have questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bassestkkm, Jun 4, 2014.

1. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Thanks Barn. I think I'll try to slow it down. It felt a bit fast at times. Will report back once I get there.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    My experience is that you have to really focus concentration on the wire laying down as you wind the bobbins. It is very easy, and natural, for your attention to wander, and that's when the trouble occurs. Especially as the bobbin fills.

3. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    I know that for sure. I have the headaches to prove it haha I've been trying to figure out what my best way to have light so I can see what's going on. I think that's been my biggest challenge so far.

That and the winder sits low compared to my chair so I feel like I'm hunching over a lot

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I put a flashright right behind the bobbin. That way you can see how the winds are laying down. The free LED ones from HF are good here.

5. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Okay cool I have a desk lamp that I'll put behind and give a shot. The winds have been pretty even but for the occasional mistake by me. I'll give it another go tonight and report back

6. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Okay redid the screw coil on the neck pickup so it's screw side 4804 and slug side 4350. Now I'm gonna move onto the bridge pickup. I'm thinking about slug side 4750 and screw side 5250. That way it's a little hotter and the treble is naturally rolled off a little because of the pickup.

Stew Mac instructions said both coils are wound counterclockwise. Is this correct?

7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Also put a sheet of white paper behind the bobbin with the desk lamp light falling on it.

And correct on the winding direction--you get the "reverse wind" of the two coils by connecting the finish ends together.

8. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Awesome thanks. I actually had a sheet of paper there without really thinking about it. I took it away and I see why it's a good idea. The neck pickup measures at just about 8.3kohm which is good news so far. The bridge should be about 9kohm one more coil! Woo!

9. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    I don't have a digital ohmmeter but it looks like 8.3 neck and 9.5 bridge. Not too bad. I had an average of 4500 winds for the neck and 5000 for the bridge. The pickup cavity isn't deep enough for the mounting ears so I may drill that area out over the weekend. Other than that I have to solder up the harness. 4 push pulls. So many things I've never done. Only one way to learn though. This guitar is going to weigh a ton. I may make an alder cover for the back and chamber some out. I think after electronics it'll be 12 pounds. That's staggering. But it should sound good. Well... Hopefully

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations! Those are good numbers. A serious rock and roll set. When can we expect the demo? :)

11. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    I think I should be good to go next weekend. I will definitely post one up when it's done. It's the wiring that has me all confused of all things.

12. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    What about the wiring is confusing you? Trust me, no matter what you've got on your hands, somebody here has already dealt with it! Somebody here (not necessarialy me!) will be able and very willing to help out.
    (EDIT: That may sound bad--I'm certainly willing, but someone else may be better able, if that makes sense!)

Your guitar looks like it's drilled for standard Gibby wiring 2-buckerpups, 2V, 2T & 3-way switch, right? Any fancy-schmantzy stuff like push-pull switches, coil splitting, and so forth?

13. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Yeah it's 4 push pull. I think the volumes are series/parallel and in/out of phase and the tones are coil taps. And then standard to the 3 way switch. I have the jimmy page wiring schematic from Seymour Duncan but that's what has me a little confused. I think I might just take it one pot at a time and go from there

14. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Ahh, then you will NOT want to connect the finishes of each coil together, but solder separate leads from each of the two coil ends, so you have 4 lead wires coming from each pick up. Use a standard system, like black for start, white for finish, or use the outside shield of shielded cable for one or the other, consistently, so you don't confuse yourself. Best idea yet, if you are using the SD JP wiring diagram, look up Seymour's color codes for his humbuckers, and get the same color wire for the leads on your pickups. Those kinds of diagrams are very, very busy, and you don't need any more complexity than they already have.

15. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Yeah I remembered about the lead wires I wish I had thought about the color coordination before. I guess I will dissect that diagram and give it a go. What's the worst that can happen right? Well I'd rather not think about that. Spontaneously combusting comes to mind. Illogical but safe haha
    Thanks for the help!

16. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Good luck. It'll either work, or it won't. If it works, and as it's supposed to, pat yourself on the back . If it works, but not as its supposed to, less enthusiastic pat on the back, and fix it. No explosions, no spontaneous combustions.

17. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Thanks for the encouragement.

I decided to try to measure the resistance of the coils together today. The white and green twisted together and the red and blacks twisted together. So negatives with negatives and positives with positives. This is putting the pickups in parallel right? So I should get a lower kohm reading? But if I did neg to pos to neg to pos like two batteries in parallel i should get the total reading? Because as I tested it positives twisted together and negatives together it was in parallel and I got a reading of about 3 ohms but separately its higher individually. But then i tested in series where one start is alone then the end and the start of the next are twisted together and then the end is along for a total reading of 8 and 9 ohms. I think thats how it works in physics.

I guess I answered my own question here. Nevermind haha

18. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yup, even guitar pickups must obey the laws of physics :D
    BTW your numbers are good- a bit on the "hot" side! :cool:

19. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Thanks I like 'em a little spicy :cool:

Also I was reading up on different forums and came across this and it looks like a really successful and well planned out guide. Unlike the poster I think I will still use the pots as the chassis ground. But otherwise the same. Anyways I will try to post back with the results. I'm hoping I have that today or tomorrow....

Now for the bad news... My pickup rings didn't come with screws. They are #2 and have to be at least 3/4 inch long for the bridge and 1/2 for the neck.

AND My pots all lost their nuts.. Err I lost my nuts... Well you get the idea haha And I'm not sure what to do to replace them :?:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.