Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Pickup Builders I have questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bassestkkm, Jun 4, 2014.

1. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Just finished the first bobbin. Slug side and I did it right this time. I have a reading of 5ohms but this is right after soldering. It's 4300 winds exactly.

2. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Screw side is done now too and I have a reading from both :)
    With the stew Mac kits is it common to have an issue with inserting the slugs? If so hhow do I address it?

3. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Well, there it is. The first pickup I've ever wound. I have no idea what it'll sound like and I'm a little afraid to find out. But it's done haha. I just wish I could say the same about the guitar.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1428205820.767598.jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    I had a touch of that fear. And was then VERY VERY happy with how mine sounded:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/527811-even-dumber-winder-build-thread-25.html

Standard formula for a tele set, nothing clever or fancy. Unpotted save for a quick dip in lacquer.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
  7. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Just read through the first Page. I think I'll find out once I wire them up and test I suppose. I don't really see any downside to waiting to pot them. Is that okay? Then once I play if I discover I don't like it or it makes noise I can pot it. Thanks for the support :)

Now to defret the neck and straighten the fretboard and refret. And make the bridge pickup.all things I'm doing for a first time :)

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Read the 2nd link too.

I look at it like this. The internet and forums are a bunch of people with opinions. In the end you do what you want to do with the information based on what will work for you. :)

9. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    Just read the second one. It's a nutshell of everything said above. As far as opinions and doing my own thing. I agree there. There's a general consensus between people if you look but in the end it's all up to you. I'm just making things up as I go hoping that everything ends up well.

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

A perfect example of "general consensus" is pattern routing a body perimeter. 75% of the time...maybe more...people will experience tear out. Am I wrong? Just because the majority of people do it doesn't mean it is the best practice. :) As always YMMV.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    No problem waiting to pot them, except for the PITA factor having to partially disassemble your guitar. Many people never pot their pickups and never have a problem. Unless you gig, or maybe jam or play really loud at home, you likely won't have feedback problems.

12. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Brainy, if you do come over this summer, be sure to plan a jaunt down south, and let me know when, so I can plan to be out of town . . . No,no just kidding. I would love to have you visit, and it would be my pleasure to show you Highland Woodworking, and buy you a 3/16" bit as a souvenir, and maybe a pint or two, although the beer will be measured in different units, probably, and strangely, come to think of it, metric units.

13. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Hi. Since I'm in the company of extraordinarily talented, intelligent and handsome people, there's something I've been wondering about. One can buy MIC pickups for $10 (or less), US factory made for $100, boutique for $200, or make them yourself for $20ish (after equipment). So... what makes them different, or rather one "better" than the other. I can't afford the expensive ones and I'm on the fence about winding my own.
    Tim

14. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    The main difference from what I can tell is the materials. The better your quality of magnets slugs and wire the better your pickup will be. Of course the used market is huge so there is a lot available used. A lot of it is also if you have the time and the desire to do it yourself. One 57 dollar spool will make 6 pickups and the winder can be as simple or complex as you like. After the kits and my winder and wire I'm in about 150 but I can make another 2 sets for minimal additional investment. I also feel proud that I've been able to do it myself. So it's dependent on the person. If I used a simpler winder I'd have saved about 60 dollars but in the end it's up to you. It's an addicting hobby and can end up being fruitful for you as well.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'll give you my 2cents on that. Back 45 years ago. There wasn't any choice. You got factory replacements. They were likely machine wound to spec. Then the replacement gear started with Dimarzio. Then Mitey Mite... then the others.

45 years ago you would have loved to have something like you'd find in an Epiphone or Squier.

Well times change and there's money to be made. People want bragging rights. Aftermarket parts provide those rights. The more you pay..the more you can brag. Is there a difference?...probably... is it worth the capital outlay?...I doubt it.

I replaced an epi humbucker with one of the early ones I made. I could hear a difference. Both were fine but I perceived mine to be more tuneful...in reality, I'm sure that they were both good but my bias was leaning toward my own creation. That's kind of how all the aftermarket pickups work. They all sound good, but different. It is a matter of finding out what sounds good to you. Pickups are only one element in the system of components that result in the sound that comes out your speakers.

$200 pickups better sound great to you and I bet they will. FWIW, I bought each of the early super distortion and dual sound pickups and didn't hear much of any difference through the crappy amp I had at the time.

Ceramic mags tend to be cheap and powerful. They produce a brighter sound according to experts. I've used mostly alnico V magnets in all my pickups and strat pickups sound like strats. Humbuckers sound like humbuckers.

16. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

I agree that winding your own has a certain appeal from a hobby standpoint. And then there's those darn bragging rights.
    If I were to build a quality guitar, with a, say $3000 price tag on it, I can't very well taut the virtues of its $18 a pair pups. And it wouldn't be right to claim they were something else. On the other hand. I could buy some stewmac parts, spend a couple of hours (and probably make some clown hair) then tell a prospective client how great those custom, handmade pups sound.
    As far as materials are concerned, I would think 42g wire would sound the same regardless from where it was sourced. And magnets of the same type should be magnets, right?
    I'm no expert on these things, but I know there are plenty of them here. Enlighten me!
    Tim

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Some baseplates are nickel plated and made of a heavier gauge of brass too.

18. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    In theory yes every magnet and type of wire should sound the same. But for some reason this isn't the case.

Single coils are known to have 42 or 43awg wire because traditional tele neck pickups didnt have enough space for say the 42 awg wire with the same number of winds.

As far as the actual wire of the same size, the different coatings on the wire had differences too. Plain enamel coating(humbuckers) is different from poly(modern single) which is different from formvar(vintage single coil).

These are of course all irrelevant because the actual number of winds also has an effect.

The magnets also have differences. Alnico is the chemicals used in the bar then there is the percentage of each metal and then there is the strength of the charge on each magnet. No two are necessarily the same.

This is where tolorances, "mojo", science, etc. all comes into play but I think other people can elaborate as well. This just what I've been able to unearth through reading.

Of course there are people out there who examine the chemical formula of everything (wire and magnets) and then recreate a pickup. Ron Ellis is who comes to mind when it comes to that. He did an interview that's on YouTube that touched on his process and all. You can read forever but these are the little things I've gathered.

19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I like to build things, in part because then I know what was used in them, and if there are any shortcuts taken, they are ones I approved of.

20. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Riverside, Ca
    I seem to be getting worse at this game each time I try. I'm determined to get it right eventually. Last night I tried to make the second set if coils and fail 4 times. The wire stuck to the tape and messed it up. Ill give it another go soon. The guitar is missing electronics and that's it. :/ hopefully I get it soon

Edit:
    I thought I had the first pair right but one of them ended up not working at all after I put the hookup wire on it. I tried to fix the finish wire or see if something went wrong but nothing doing.
    I guess I have 3 coils to wind still

21. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    It is important to go slowly and have patience. You will get there!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.