Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup blending with 2-Vol 2-Tone

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fatcat, Apr 16, 2018.

1. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I thought I remembered seeing some notes on a Gibson wiring schematic that mentioned one could set the pickups volumes to blend when set in the middle position without cutting out if one of the pots is rolled back too far.

Just by flipping a couple of the connections.

Is there any truth to that? Can someone educate me?

2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Check out a Fender Jazz Bass schematic, there's a couple of different connections on the volume pots.

4. warrent

warrent Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    1240_2133_2.gif

nojazzhere and AAT65 like this.

5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's the one. Although "independent" is not a good name for it. Each pickup will react to the impedance of the other's volume control. I like the current stock Gibson setup. If you have the toggle switch there is no need to give the middle position the ability to go 100% of one pickup and the other one turned all the way off. IMO & YMMV!

moosie likes this.

7. warrent

warrent Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Well unless you want to stutter or use it as a kill switch.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    When I've owned a two-volume two-tone guitars, I would wire it to one-volume one-tone. I like the sound of the volume controls at equal settings, and changing volume on the fly often messed that up. I realize I lost the ability for "infinite" tonal differences, but that was much less important to me. Adjusting level without affecting "tone" was a higher priority. FWIW....

9. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Rickenbacker 5 knob wiring?

10. naneek

naneek TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2010
    PNW
    I have an early 60's kay speed demon which is a 3 pickup semihollow. One of my favorite things about it is the wiring scheme, 3 volume, 3 tone, and a 4 position rotary pickup selector. position 1 is bridge, position 2 is middle, position 3 is neck, and position 4 is all 3 pickups. You can blend all 3 pickups in any combination using the individual volume and tone controls, allowing you to mute and blend pickups in any variation.

I'm not sure how relevant this is to the les paul, but that kind of setup is definitely possible.
    I'm also looking into wiring one of my teles with 2 vol knobs for blending in the middle position.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.