Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup and Neck Angle Questions/Issue - Billy Bo Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thecrushr, Sep 24, 2017.

1. thecrushr

thecrushr TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Bay Area
    I am building a Billy Bo. I have built a number of Fender style guitars but this is my first set neck and angled neck. It has a flat top and I'm using a Tonepros ABR tune-o-matic bridge. The neck angle is about 2.5 degrees. My question is should I angle the pickup routes and if so what angle? If I route them without any angle but use tapered pickup rings, will that work? Is there generally enough wiggle room in a standard size cavity to angle the pickup with just the ring?

While I am at it, one other question. Either my math was off a little or my execution but I put the neck angle on the tenon and in theory it should have been the perfect angle. However, a straightedge laid on the neck lands about 3/32" above the bridge rather than laying on it. Is that enough to worry about or should I just press on? I'm reluctant to touch the heel anymore unless I have to as it seats perfectly and took a lot of effort to get it here.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I've never had any trouble with pickups not tilting in perpendicular routs with angled rings. That of course depends on how large or small the cavities are I guess. Are your bridge studs adjustable to move up 3/32" ?

I've never experienced a Gibson guitar with the bridge bottomed out on the body. I normally shoot for 2 degrees on a slab body too.

3. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    Can your bridge adjust high enough to make up the difference?

I built a Gibson moderne replica a few years back and I believe I used about a 3 degree neck angle with a flat top body. I did the pickup cavities parallel with the top and it seemed to work well enough. That was with PAF style humbuckers. I don't have any experience with filtertrons if that is what you're using in your Billy Bo. If that is the case, then I don't know if it would work or not without knowing the dimensions of the pickup and the cavity. I kinda think it would work though.

4. thecrushr

thecrushr TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Bay Area
    Thanks for responses so far. I should have added that while it is a Billy Bo, I am going with regular humbuckers instead of filtertrons. As far as height adjustment, the threads are 1/2 ". So in theory, 3/32 to get to the fret height plus 4/64 or 5/64 for the action still leaves in excess of 1/4" of post in the stud. That should work, right?

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    maybe look for longer studs?

6. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    So is this a Nashville style tune o matic type bridge? When you used the straight edge on the fretboard and it was 3/32" above the bridge saddles, was the bridge all the way down to the body? As in none of your 1/2" of threads were exposed. If that is the case, I would think raising it 1/4" or so would be fine. I don't think I've ever seen a tune o matic that wasn't up from the body about that much.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Not sure about the bridge. The pickup angle was a question I had as well until I took a look at the LP Special plans and it has a 3 degree neck angle and pickups are parallel to the top with no angle.

8. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC
    I posted this on another forum regarding neck angle but if you look at My LP Classic you can see the bridge is rather high but the guitar plays fine. I think the neck angle was a a little to shallow on this one but I still have plenty of adjustment both ways. When you put the straight edge on it did you have your thumb wheels under the bridge?
    100_0121.JPG

Billnchristy likes this.

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    In the end it really depends on how much the neck wood is sticking up above the body of the guitar. Gibson once did an SG with zero angle by having it sticking it way up proud, as compared to a different model and year. If you do the trig and draw a side angle you should be in the ballpark.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.