Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pickup advice for a modded '84 MIJ squier tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by H_Entfremdung, May 16, 2018.

1. H_Entfremdung

H_Entfremdung TDPRI Member

May 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Hi guys!

This will sound like blasphemy to the purists/traditionalists. If you fit that category, move along!

I own a 7-sound squier tele (yeah yeah, bastard child of a strat and a tele), equipped with a sd hot rail on the neck, a bare knuckle cobra on mid position and a yet to be decided humbucker that fits the bill.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that works well with my other pu's and is quite versatile (from indie dreaminess to high gain-metal).

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    SD SH-14. Its like an octave lower sounding trad HB. Good for lots of genres, for metal its more old school, not the extreme crunch-a-saurus rex type, more full and beefy. Fine for Sabbath/Metalica, not so much sub genres.

H_Entfremdung likes this.

3. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I use Donlis alnico pickups in my MIJ Tokai of same year. Great sound and versatile.

4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You mean one of these? I have one in each color!
    HST1.jpg IMG_20180514_122755968.jpg

H_Entfremdung likes this.

5. H_Entfremdung

May 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Thanks! Worth checking out as I got the same recommendation elsewhere.

6. H_Entfremdung

May 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Don't know the brand, so I'll look into it! Are they versatile enough for the music I'm playing?

7. H_Entfremdung

May 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Beautiful collection man! Mine is quite a different animal though, basically I started out with this:
    https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...90,w_620/v1482021425/eknxmz5wg1dacxrcuwi3.jpg

Got it relatively cheap (400 incl a case), after which I got the electronics changed, added the two hot rails, a black pearl pickguard, 7-sound mod (with a push pull tone knob) and now the most recent mod I'm considering is the bridge humbucker (atm it's got a hot rail version of the dimarzio super distortion).

8. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Cool looking Tele! Be sure to show it once you have completed the HB conversion!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.