Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Picking up local radio station with tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Krugie_Mtl, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Krugie_Mtl

Krugie_Mtl TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Quebec Canada
    Hello all,

I’ve been picking a local radio station when I plug my Tele into my old Fender amp.

Here is what happens:

- When I put some spring reverb, if my Tele’s volume is between 1 and 9, I pick up huge amount of radio talk. At 10, it is still there but barely audible.

- If I use my Gibson with humbuckers, there is no radio audible.

As a bit of context, it is an old Fender Rivera concert from the 80s. It works flawlessly, but I did change the reverb tube last year. It was the first tube I changed in the 20 years I owned it.

So I assume it is related to the reverb ? Is it apparent on the Tele because it uses single coils ?

Or is it related to the tele ?

Thank you for your help !

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If they’re talking directly to you, see a psychiatrist.

3. Krugie_Mtl

Krugie_Mtl TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Quebec Canada
    Luckily for me, they talk about sports (I think).

Ira7 likes this.

4. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    I used to pick up a radio station with my singlecoil fenders through my Champ. The radio station had a tower within a mile of the house. One of the neighbors could hear it in his house at times.

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I think it's all in the shielding..Shielding my guitar helped some in most cases but some still came through the amp..Then I heard of shielding the inputs on the amp..That really made a huge difference..I replaced all the wires from the input to the tubes with shielded wire..

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This used to be a very common thing during my youth a few decades ago.

Never happened to me...no one shielded back then...so I have no idea whether there was a real fix for it.

I'm old. Can't remember.

7. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Tele's are really in synch with the currents that make universe work. We all know that. I'm not at all surprised that a Gibson can't hold a candle to a Tele in this respect .... :D

Teleterr and telemnemonics like this.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    The problem may be your cable. A cable 'thrown in with' a guitar I purchased years ago acts as an antenna for the dimmers for my porch and kitchen lighting. The cable picks up the pulses from the dimmers even when not plugged into a guitar. The buzz plugged into my Strat is the worst. Guitars with humbuckers mitigate it somewhat but it's never completely gone. I think I'll treat myself to a new cable with with braided aluminum and copper shielding. I can't rewire the house and my wife wants top hats with dimmers when we redo our living room.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    My personal experience with radio coming out of the amp was that it was an amp problem, not the guitar.
    Turning down the guitar made the radio signal comparatively louder, but several guitars got the station through one amp and not through other amps.
    You may have a different problem.
    I installed copper screen shielding in the amp head box and the radio went away.

It was Spanish radio BTW, always Spanish.

10. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    yeah, the only time i've ever had that problem, it was amp related. i had a pignose g60vr a decade or so ago, and it had that problem. it was a widespread problem with that amp. i forget the remedy, but i got wise to it and fixed it...then sold it about a year later. :)

telemnemonics likes this.

11. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    I had a similar problem, but it was a neighbor with a ham radio. If my amp was on, even without a guitar plugged in, I started hearing one sided conversations. The first time it happened was late at night after I had forgotten to turn off the amp. I heard some guy talking from my amp, which was very freaky. After I mentioned it to a neighbor, he filled me in and introduced me to the neighbor with the Ham set. He gave me a choke to run my power cord through, which solved the problem nicely.

download.jpg

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    You've got the concept right, but it's not actually a choke which would be wire-wound. It's a cylindrical ferrite "bead" that traps the radio frequencies. Lots of computer cables used to come with these.

Telecentric likes this.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

Ha! They used to sell those at auto parts stores to put on your coil wires to prevent the radio from being affected by the coil noise. lol

I never used one. I just used shielded wires. Of course, back in the day, they never had shielded wires for VWs and some older vehicles, so you got noise.

14. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I used to have an east indian radio station happen every time I used my Marshall wah , when i lived in Vancouver I should have kept it the now famous Marshall radio / Wha could be worth a small fortune to a collector

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    With my VWs I remember a raspy buzz that would rise and fall with the RPMs when it was rainy.

LowThudd likes this.

16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I was in a band while I went to UW-Green Bay in the late 90s. I was friends with some of the women basketball players, so I followed them. I was delighted when my Hiwatt would pick up their play by play on the radio while at practice!

At the time, I was using a Strat, though.

17. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    sports talk stations suck
    rotate amp 1/3rd turn CCW to pickup classier station.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.