Pickgaurd question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ReverendRevolver, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

So,

I'm about to be buying a guitar with an ugly pickgaurd for the body (body is capri orange) most places I can obtain a cream pearloid color pickgaurd also offer something called "transparent milky white" that seems to run cheap as standard black or white.

I have 2 questions about this stuff, for anyone who may know:
    1. Is it as rigid as typical pickgaurd material of the same thickness? (Important because all guts and jack mount on pg)
    And
    2. Will some semblance of the orange finish show through the material?

The overall aesthetic I'm after for the thing is reminiscent of one of those orange popsicles with ice cream in the middle (dreamsicle?).
    While I can get what I feel is the most evocative of this image made for almost the cost of the guitar (out of "aged" high quality celuiod) I'm aiming for under $50. (There are plenty of great options over $50 too, but I'm cheap, so yea)

Using the trans milky would be neat, but cream pearloid and cream pickup covers is plan b.

Thanks in advance!

guitarmoron likes this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

it would be helpful for us to know what kind of guitar, what name brand... because not all Tele style guitars are made to original Fender specs, thus a pick guard from an aftermarket supplier may, or may not fit it correctly...

You MAY wind up making your pick guard to get one that fits well though to suit you.

Ron

3. ReverendRevolver

My bad,

It's not a tele at all, a Duosonic.

As close as I can approximate, the recent reissues are exactly the same screw holes as the 90s ones, so ordering one for $25ish that is semi transparent and let's the orange show through on the edges is kind of ideal.

I just wanted to know how transparent or opaque the material is and if its rigid enough to support all of the innards, as a duo sonic pickguard isn't like a Mustangs, the 'Stang has a control plate where the knobs and jack are, leaving the pickups and slider switches attached to a shorter piece of pickgaurd. While the duosonic has plenty of screws on that lower bout, I'd still like to know that it's as rigid as typical materials of the same thickness.

Also, rigidness is more important than the transparency, because is the orange isn't flattering, I can improvise using transparency to my advantage, if its opaque, at least I dont need to buy cream colored pickup covers to match the white.

Edit: stupid me, I just found a seller on Ebay located in the States and asked.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

5. ReverendRevolver

They're who I'll be getting one from for my mustang, depending upon how this trans milky white stuff is, I may use it for that.

The ebay seller is basically the same colors as WD, minus a few patterns, but with free shipping. They are the hands down most promising website I've been able to find that offers duosonic or my model of mustang pickguards.

Dont get me wrong, I've cut ones before, but I'd have to use my dads garage and typically my days off are quite packed, so finding the stuff offered in a ready to install format is good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.