Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pick up covers--dumb question

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Special Tom, May 22, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Humbuckers are like fleas.
    We ask about SCs and as soon as one poster mentions HBs suddenly they're all over us!

AAT65 likes this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It should be enough that your purse match your hat. Just choose some good pups for their sound.

RoyBGood likes this.

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I’ve got a set of Pribora pickups in my Strat. They are nice pickups at very competitive prices, made very traditionally - hand-wound and potted with wax from the family bees, I believe!

Felino likes this.

4. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    I agree. I have two sets now. They sound great.

AAT65 likes this.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    telemnemonics, Felino and AAT65 like this.

6. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    I am going for sound and color coordination. I have a vision (or hallucination) and one black single coil in the bridge position ruins it unless I change my scheme to add in some black somewhere. Yes, I would go for sound over aesthetics but only after I have exhausted other avenues. I do thank you for the "color" commentary you add LOL

7. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    Thanks Rex-- I think I will give these a try. For a little over $100 they're worth a gamble. Worst case, I have a couple of junk guitars that need junk pickups. I am still waiting on Seymour Duncan for a response to see if they can accommodate me.

8. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    I have seen these and was very tempted earlier in my search. They are still not off the table. Price is really good Thanks

9. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    If you're married you gotta know that a good matching purse and hat costs more than a whole CS Tele complete with pickups signed by "famous maker"!

10. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2014
    Canada
    Sounds like you are experienced in negotiations.

telemnemonics likes this.

11. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Groan...

Edit: Actually my wife likes boots and bags, not hats and bags, but we have those discussions, usually with her suggesting I buy an amp and she buys some boots.

Here's a pair by her favorite boot and bag maker, of the sort she likes; sort of arty euro biker look.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=222945330893

Last edited: May 24, 2018

12. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    spendy boots - so she gets 4 pair and you get an amp?

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thinking thigh-high boots equal tweed amp. Win, win!

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    If you do go with Q-Pickups be sure to contact him and tell him just what you want. I don't think the cost is any different to get just the wind/output/magnet type you are looking for. You might decide you don't need to wait on Seymour any longer.
    No affiliation, blah, blah, but I have used a few Q pickups - good value for the service, and I like getting the envelopes with all the exotic looking postage stamps on them...
    Rex

15. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    I did order the Q set A2 & A5 tapped. The day after I ordered Seymour emailed me. They could put a white layer over the black bobbin on the bridge, neck with gold cover not at problem. Ballpark price seemed high to me. I already have an STR-3 in gold so if they quote me too much for neck and bridge I will just go with the STR in the neck and STL-? in the bridge--but not really what I wanted for this tele.

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Well it will be interesting to hear what you think of that tapped pickup set. If they were mine I would wire it so I could tap either the bridge or neck independently. This ought to give you quite a bit of varience in your "both" position. Please follow up with a post or sound clip after the job is complete. And some pics of the finished guitar!
    Glad to have helped,
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.