Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pick my new modeling amp

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by falcon5romeo, May 10, 2017.

Which Modeling Amp?

1. Vox VT40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mustang III

29.4%
  3. Mustang GT40

11.8%
  4. Cube

5.9%
  5. Katana

29.4%
  6. Other

23.5%
  1. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    So, I have lots of pedals I never use. I have a Peavey SC212 and a Blues Jr. I go back and forth for the Peavey's cleans and chorus, and the Jr's spring reverb and OD.

I haven't been gigging in a while, and if I do in the future, I don't want to use either amp. The Peavey is way too heavy, and the Jr just isn't loud enough, and I'm tired of jacking around with pedals.

So, I want a modeling amp. I've played around a little with a VT40, and I really like it. But, I'm interested in the GT40 as well, and I'm not sure about the differences between the Mustangs and the GT series.

I usually just play country, rock and blues, but I got excited when I played with the Vox's 'metal' simulators, and if I buy a modeling amp, it has to have the Mesa/Hiwatt/Marshall tones in it. And I probably won't be messing with software stuff much, if at all.

Should I go with the Vox, the GT, the Mustang, or something else?

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Any budget?

But I'll tell you this now:

Once you're used to real spring (like me), it's gonna hurt going to digital on-board reverb on any modeling amp, so now you're back to getting at least one pedal for more realistic spring. (Alas, no real spring tanks on SS.)

And how many watts do you think you'll maybe eventually need?

Why not look into a hybrid, for tube warmth and modeling flexibility on the second channel?

3. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Out of the amps in this poll I endorse the Katana 50 :)

4. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Well the budget should be high enough for the 100 watt versions, since I'm going to be selling off my pedals and an amp.

Good call about the spring reverb...but I've always gassed for a real Fender reverb tank, and I might be able to get one if I stay in the 40-50 watt range. :)

Also, I was under the impression the Katana isn't a true modelling amp....is this not true?

FWIW, I used to have a VTX100, the hybrid Vox amp from like 10 years ago, and I really liked it...

5. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I have a Mustang III and love it. However, it's strongest suite is not it's heavier/more overdrive/Mesa/Marshall tones. You can find usable ones, but they don't quite hit Marshall territory to my ears. But I do have a Bassman patch with a RAT (black box) effect in front that can get downright rude if need be.

For the Marshall tones, from the little I've been around the CODE, they can get pretty close. I've also heard good things about the Katana and new Fender Mustang GT but am yet to lay hands on either.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm a Cube fan.
    They all sound good to me.
    I like the XL series with he looper best.

7. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'd consider a Peavey Vypyr. Fantastic amps with crystal clear sounds - although they don't really do "vintage" sounds in the way that, say, Vox modelling amps do.

I love modelling amps, but I have 2 gripes with them.

1. Too many onboard effects that I never use, at the expense of more useful features. Seriously, does anyone use a flanger? I'd rather they ditched pretty much all the fluffy fx and concentrated on making the reverb and delay options as good and as usable as possible.

2. Too many distortion options for my liking. I realise that's a subjective judgement; but from the options on these amps you'd think the whole world was playing metal. We have pedals for distortion. Just give us the clean amp sounds and we'll do the rest.

GrantR likes this.

8. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Well, that's actually why I want a modeling amp. If I can have a decent tweed tone or 2, great, as my ears aren't good enough to really care about the various vintage tones they come with. But, I really want the ability to have that big metal tone on tap if I want it. I'm sure I'd play with it enough to figure out a handful of presets that I can just bop back and forth between. That's really what I'm after in a nutshell: just to be able to go from a nice clean tone, to a nice vintage OD tone, to a blaring marshall/hiwatt/mesa tone at a button push. Effects wise I only use reverb and the occasional chorus.

Also, does anybody know if any of these modeling options come with a line out? Because I'd love to slave it to my Peavey 212 and blow the house down...

9. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    My 1st gen Vypyr has a line out

falcon5romeo likes this.

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Have you considered a SuperChamp X2? The Modelling channel 2 has some great "British" presets, as well as a couple of high-gain amps and some classic Fender amps. You can mess with the editing capabilities by connecting to PC as well, but I'm using the factory presets. Oh, and the All-tube channel 1 is fantastic!

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    My advice would be to try them all and narrow it down to the ones that produce the sounds that you really like the best. All are more than capable of sounding great, but each unit has certain sounds that it does better than the others. The Mustang III V2, for example (only using this one because I own one and can comment with some experience about it) excels at Fender cleans and some edge-of-breakup sounds, but isn't quite so good at higher gain stuff as some of the other options out there.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I have a Peavey SC 212 and a Mustang III. The Mustang III sounds HUGE when running a line out from the Mustang's effects loop SEND and into the Power Amp IN on the Peavey. The Mustang will run both it's own cabinet and the PV 212 with separate volume controls and in stereo. For simulating amps that originally have more than 1 speaker, say a Fender Twin or 4-12 Marshall Plexi stack for example, this is the way to go. My Peavey has the Scorpion speakers and they really match up well with the Mustang....very compatible. Nice tight / full bottom end between the two. I have mine separated on opposite sides of a room to get the max benefit of the stereo panning. I usually just use the Mustang by itself, but it's hard to resist running a cord from the Mustang over to the Peavey if I feel like using the Mustang's Univibe type modulation effects to play some Trower or Hendrix stuff.

privatesalt and falcon5romeo like this.

13. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley

Thanks so much for that, I couldn't figure out if it had a line out at all. Now I REALLY want one.

Jim Dep likes this.

14. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Mustang III v2 for sure. I use one live almost every week. It's completely gig-worthy and sounds fantastic. Version 2 has stereo DIs too!

GrantR and privatesalt like this.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I try never to recommend gear I own, because that seems just stupid and baseless.

But I bought the X2 head version, with matching cab, because I wanted pure Fender clean in CH 1, and more than a dozen modeling options in CH 2 that I could adjust or create from scratch myself via the FUSE software.

But there's a lot of confusion about this being all tube. It's a hybrid amp, and although it ships with a 12AX7 preamp tube, that tube is used as a phase inverter to feed the 6v6 power tubes (or however you want to describe it), which IS real tube.

If you don't care about the difference between SS power and tube power, well, you don't care. But if you do, SS can be torture.

16. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    You say your Blues Junior isn't loud enough? My 15 watt BJ is as subjectively loud as my 75 watt Line6 Spider Jam in a gigging situation.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    The Mustang GT40 is a good little amp but not for gigging. It's perfect for practice and home use. There are very nice tones available with a little tweaking and then there is a huge library of user patches in Fender Tone App (which also has patches from the Fuse library).
    You can't beat the price. I am very happy with mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.