Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

pic check and ground question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tele_savales, Jun 7, 2018.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    Howdy!

I'm a new member.

Just checking to see if linking to a flickr account will allow a pic [​IMG] to be viewed here.

I am also wondering if I can create a true faraday cage with a cut bridge- I have shielded other Tele's and run a small strip of foil across the body from the pickguard to the bridge, which is barely noticeable. With a cut bridge that wouldn't look great. I'd love to hear some ideas!

Gary

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome.

Sorry no pic there.

3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Unlike a Strat, Foil on the back of the pickguard of a Tele doesn't really cover much. Can you clarify what it is you're trying to shield? the pickguard over the short run of wire? Why not just jumper from the neck pickup cover to the back of the pickguard, and that wouldn't show at all.

I'm assuming that you're trying to get a ground connection from the bridge to something else, as you probably know the bridge should be grounded already either with it's own wire sandwiched against the paint, or by use of a metal baseplate on the bridge pickup. That allows not only shielding from the metal plate, but even more importantly a string ground via the saddles.

4. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    With a chopped bridge, you would want to drill a hole that goes from a point underneath the bridge plate into the bridge pickup cavity. Then run a wire so that it touches the bridge plate and is soldered to the back of one of the pots on the other side. This is how most Fender basses and hardtail Strats are set up.

This blurry pic from the interwebs shows the general idea:
    [​IMG]

5. tele_savales

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    Thanks guys. I drilled an angled hole for the bridge ground and pulled it off well. Without pics it's hard to describe what I'm after, any tips on a pic host?

6. tele_savales

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    [​IMG]On this guitar I shielded all the cavities and made sure the copper cam over the edges so it would contact the shielding on the pickguard, and then made innocuous strips from the bridge and the control plate.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

7. tele_savales

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    So with my MIJ Tele i was able to connect all the shielding all around by making tabs from under the control pocket and bridge with the shielding on the pickguard.

My question is, how can I create a true faraday cage without a strip of copper shielding running from the bridge to the underside of the pickguard? I have already grounded the bridge with my epic drilling skills for the very first time, by eye.[​IMG]

8. tele_savales

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    [​IMG]I was very excited that I pulled this off so cleanly, after reading about people drilling out the back of the body...

9. Vizcaster

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    The connection only has to touch once - you could do it from the edge of the control plate to the underside of the pickguard where there's no gap for it to show. So long as the foil on the back of your pickguard has one path to ground, it will act as a shield. The wire you just ran from the pickup cavity to the bridge will give you a way to hook up a string ground, which isn't really shielding but is still appropriate (but I wouldn't use white wire for that purpose, black or green would be easier to spot what it's there for later down the road).

10. tele_savales

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    [​IMG][/URL][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018

11. tele_savales

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    Thanks for your reply- I did all this yesterday, and she still hums like an SOB on the p90 only position. I didnt get too crazy making the foil overlap onto the body in the neck rout, but I'm sure theres contact. The other pic shows where I bared the bridge ground wire to make contact with the foil. Any tips would be appreciated. I know my Marshall is pretty noisy, but my other Tele that I shielded the piss out of no longer adds any appreciable noise.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018

12. Vizcaster

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    I find P90's to be worse than Tele or Strat pickups in terms of picking up hum. I use an ElectroHarmonix Hum Debugger instead of replacing all my P90's (but on a new project I used a Lindy Fralin noiseless P90 and it's a great sounding pickup).

13. tele_savales

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    Yep, I think I'm going to just deal with it. I just bought a MJT body routed for two p90's because the Bareknuckle Pig90 in the neck position that I'm speaking of is SO sick it's unreal, and I want to put a set of them in this new build. I may ask them to foil wrap them for me. Or, I may try some kind of hum canceling P90.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.