Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Photoshop alternative for free... GIMP?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 6, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Not for me - for the wife. She wants to do some minor alterations on a few pictures that she took. Neither of us have any experience with it, so we don't want to spend any money on it. Someone told her to check into a free download called "GIMP".

Anybody ever use it? Any spyware precautions on it?

Would be used with a 2016 iMac.

Other suggestions welcome.

2. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    I used GIMP a long time ago, seemed ok, not sure about spyware issues.

This is what I use now, another online app, no downloading required.

https://ipiccy.com/

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Easy enough to remove a strand of hair from someone's face in a picture?

5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I've used GIMP regularly for 5+ years. It isn't quite as powerful or quite as intuitive as Photoshop (not that Photoshop is all that intuitive, either), but it's unbelievable that such a powerful tool is free.

Get it from its official source and there won't be any malware or spyware.

Be aware that if you have no experience with powerful image editing software such as Photoshop, there's a steep learning curve, and the documentation is not that great (typical with open source software). But there's almost nothing it won't do.

OTOH, if all you want to do is minor alterations on photos, GIMP might be more than your wife wants to tackle. It's really for creating images from scratch, not just editing photos. It will do that, and do it extremely well -- once you learn its ins and outs, which will take some time. If all you want to do is lighten, darken, crop, and eliminate redeye, there are much simpler-to-use tools available.

Not with just a few clicks. With GIMP, you'd have to "paint" that hair out of the image. Easy enough once you know how, but if you look for "remove stray hair" in the documentation, you'll find nothing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    gkterry, OldDude2, mfguitar and 3 others like this.
  6. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Here's the official GIMP site. Download it from here and you should be alright.

https://www.gimp.org/

TheGoodTexan and Nickadermis like this.
  7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    You can get older versions of Corel PhotoPaint inexpensively. Even the really older versions have powerful tools and I found it easy to use. The manuals are really good.

GIMP was built for LINUX but the windows version works. I know of no issues with spyware. There is a big online community supporting Gimp.

8. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    NYC
    You can do it in the native Photos app on the mac. There's a retouch in the editing section that will work.

koen, getbent and TheGoodTexan like this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    No kidding? I’ll check it out right now.

10. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Well, we just sat for 15 mins with it, and I couldn’t find a retouch option. We dorked around with a few other things, but the skill level necessary is something that we haven’t developed.

Maybe I’ll take the photos to someone and pay to have them fixed.

11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I have Photoshop and GIMP, and I use GIMP over Photoshop. Not necessarily because it is better (it may be...maybe not...no idea), but just because I learned to use it first, it does everything I need, etc. For my purposes I find that GIMP is widely enough used that if I just google "How do you blah-blah-blah with GIMP" there is a step-by-step tutorial or youtube video that shows me exactly what I need to do. It's like that with many open source things nowadays...Linux, Python, Arduino, etc.

The Angle likes this.
  12. Junkyard Dog

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I didn't watch the video, but here was the first hit in google for "remove hair strand GIMP"...

13. ppg677

ppg677 TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2018
    WI
    Take a serious look at Affinity Pho. Far better than the Gimp but much cheaper than Photoshop

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

I use Gimp for some basics on my work computer because it is free.

14. Junkyard Dog

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    FYI, I think there are websites where you can have photoshop gurus bid on your job, you email them the original photo, Paypal them $10 or whatever, and they email you the retouched photo...i.e. you don't actually have to take the photo anywhere.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Get Gimp. Watch Youtube videos for what you want to do. It does 98% of what the pros need.

Most of the complaints about it originate from Photoshop users that find it difficult to transition to a new piece of software. If you are starting without that handicap either program is just as easy/difficult to learn.

I've used it to create published book covers for eight years, personal picture editing for at least ten.

Photoshop is around a $700 price if you buy it through a regular store. There are student discounts and monthly subscription formats that really don't save you much by the time you stop the subscription. Of course there are the pirate paths to virus infestations...

You can even use the Photoshop how-to videos as long as you follow the techniques like 'desaturate' then look in Gimp for the tool to desaturate the image. Because most of the time it's the type of alterations or the sequence of alterations that make for a good photo.

Photo editing is a good skill to learn, even if you only use the 'brightness/contrast' tool and the 'crop' tool you can do a lot of improvement.

Bonus programs:
    Firefox web browser
    Libreoffice productivity software suite
    Inkscape vector image editing/creation

These are all cross-platform Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Gimp is extremely powerful but as mentioned a bit harder to use than photoshop. Affinity Photo is really powerful and pretty easy to use: it's just about photos, while ironically photoshop does more.

Acorn is an inexpensive, easy to use and effective image processing tool (https://flyingmeat.com/acorn/).

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  17. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    NYC
    In Photos app select your image; at the top of the window is the sliders button (to the left of Details; click there you'll see tools on the right side; retouch is the band aid;
    That should do it.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Make sure she has X11 installed on her computer to use gimp 2.6 thats how I make my silly memes , plus there are a number of books, I have one called "The Artists guide to Gimp" and I use it on my 21" Imac running snow leoard with no issues.

19. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Fast Stone Image Viewer allows you to edit your images. Very easy to use.

20. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

May 13, 2016
    Podunk, New England
    I've been a professional graphic artist since 1974 & have found GIMP to be a more than adequate substitute for Photoshop. I despise Adobe's current license-from-the-cloud marketing approach, & wish Illustrator were not my favorite program. I still use a resident-on-the-hard-disk version which is getting pretty old. I'm learning an open source vector program called Inkscape in preparation for my eventual abandonment of Apple.

But you were asking about bitmap. Most of the respondents seem correct about GIMP. My only complaint is that I find its interface to be a little clunky. You might also want to consider another free, open source bitmap program named Seashore, which to me seems a little more elegant & intuitive.

Big fan of open source. They're not just talking about the price when they say "Information wants to be free."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.