Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Photos: First Build - Black Walnut Telemaster-ish Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by royceo, Sep 10, 2017.

1. royceo

royceo TDPRI Member

May 12, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hey all,

So I've been using this site a lot for inspiration and help over the past year while building my first ever guitar. Now that I've finished, I feel it's only right to post back the results! Any and all feedback would be appreciated! Especially since I will probably be building more in the future, as it was a thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding experience.

I'm an architecture student so I have knowledge of cad programs which helped me design my templates, making the build much smoother in the beginning stages, when it is probably most frightening.

Here is the link to the photo album: https://imgur.com/a/WxOqa

If anyone wants to know, here are some of the specs:

black walnut body
    indian rosewood neck
    ebony fretboard
    ambrosia maple inlays
    veg tan leather control plate and headstock logo

buddha hand wound neck and middle pickups
    gfs mean 90 bridge pickup

custom 3d printed knobs with stainless steel base
    gotoh tuning machines
    golden age tremolo
    locking roller bridge
    tusq man made ivory nut and string trees
    cts, fender and dimarzio components
    double action truss rod

7 way switching
    25.5” scale

thanks for looking!

RLee77, TimTam, Ekko and 8 others like this.

2. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Nice job man. I like it. This forum is the best for any guitar related questions, and it looks like you did a great job. I'm in the process of designing my first custom build and it's certainly daunting. Cheers man.

3. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Looking great!! Nice pictures too, you are a good documenter.

2 fodder-thought things (you might have them already covered, if so, ignore)

1) Sometimes Walnut can have "grand-canyon" pores, that you have to really work at to fill, if you want an even glossy finish. On a couple of acoustics I have built, I tried neutral/bead filler (bad, for this, if the pores are yuuuuge), and tinted darker filler (good for this, darker filler worked better for me fwiw).

2) fret ends hanging out over Ebony fretboard. Solved problem but if you haven't already please google around and read how a good tang-undercut is done, and how to dress the the fret ends on a hard, dark, unbound fretboard. Art-form, makes a dif, you have the hand/eye chops to do that well (* but save yourself the the time and learn from the people that figured it out decades ago)

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    VERY nice dude! What a fantastic job!

5. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    The guitar looks amazing! Where did you get the body template from, if you don't mind me asking? I want to build a lefty Jaguar for my son, and I would love to get an accurate template.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Here you go.

Attached Files:

7. telechadster

telechadster Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wow just amazing! Love the photo's showing the progression, real attention to detail. Beautiful guitar!!

8. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Amazing job!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.