Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Photobucket: bad to worse

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Meteorman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut

2. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    Yep, just look for the download link. It's easier if you are using their app on a mobile device.

Photobucket is an good example of the "brown touch" (opposite of "Midas touch") at work. Some business people can take a business which was a turd, and turn it into gold (like Lee Iacocca). Others take a business made of gold, and make it into a turd. Look what happened to Kodak, and what is currently happening to Gibson. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard that Photobucket was one of Henry Juszkiewicz' more recent acquisitions.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Thanks. My crappy computer skills with my ancient laptop can be a frustrating combination.
    I spent most of my time trying to find the hidden X in the milions of pop ups

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    So I saw this on another forum:

I tried it, and it worked for me. I viewed an old thread prior to installing the plug-in, and I couldn't see any pics. After installing the plug-in, all the pics reappeared.

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Rog, if you go back a page, a few of us tried it and it didn'twork for everyone. I'll try it again.

EDIT: You are correct! Excellent. I wonder how long until PB finds a way around that. There are more extensions now so the one I just installed (the first on the list) must be new. It's called Photobucket Hotlink Fix.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:29 AM
    RogerC likes this.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I just tried it and it worked with chrome.... I selected the first photobucket fix ,developed by bridgetroll, in the list after typing in photobucket fix into the extensions search box.

RogerC likes this.

7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    There is a download feature somewhere in their menu. I downloaded mine then deleted my acct.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Two things. I think PB is actively working to disable any of these viewing extensions. Not sure if they can entirely succeed, but I suspect that whatever works today, won't work soon.

It makes much more sense, where the owner is still around, to get the pics off PB and rehost, even if it means creating a new summary thread. I know, not many will bother.

But still, it would be nice to be able to get your own darn photos back, off the site.

Thing is, when I just looked, I thought for sure there used to be a Download link for whole albums. It would send you a zip file. No more. If there is, I sure can't find it (on Chrome). Seems like part of their evil plan is to only let you download a single pic at a time. Seems they knew full well what trouble they were causing. Not only started a fire, but blocked and chained the doors ahead of time.

When I went to PB yesterday, first time since this happened, they did offer me to buy in, and it didn't cost $400 a year. More like $8.99 per month. Now, I'm not sure if that buys third party hosting, or anything, really. It did mention I'd get another 100GB of storage, which I don't need.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I am soooo glad I used all that space on my hard drive to save my own pictures. Gigabit-class hard drives are now avaiailable, cheap, so you don't need to trust the fate of your images to fools like PB. Too bad it won't bring back all the wonderful threads those ba$tards destroyed. I really like that "brown touch" designation. :p. I can feel it get my blood pressure up just bringing up those arse-wholes again.

10. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I've never put anything on PB that I didn't already have elsewhere, so my photos are safe. And fortunately, I'm unskilled and shallow, so the extent of PB damage to my threads is a bunch of NGDs with no pictures of a guitar. No great loss. Fortunately.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I'm not very concerned about my threads--there are others doing most of what I've done but better, but damn, there are some wonderful old threads by some of the bedrock members here that are gone for good.

moosie likes this.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    In the big picture, photobucket has effectively erased decades of internet history--and knowledge. It's like burning the largest library in the world before anyone could copy the contents.

No more amp schematics. Pictures of '97 strats with the pickguard off. The bottom of SCN pickups. And far, far more serious images--gone from our reach.

It's almost criminal.

moosie and R. Stratenstein like this.

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Somebody asked about Filtertrons not long ago and I wanted to refer to your thread on that but with no pics... PB sucks...

14. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Well, this thread popping back up has reminded me to vote with my electrons, for what very little it's worth.

Account deleted.

Photobucket: As William Pitt the Even Younger once said - "Pooh to you, Sir, with knobs on!"

15. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    On this thread I see some people saying that they know next to nothing about computers, and I also see people advising to install the photobucket fix chrome extension. I felt that combination is dangerous enough to warrent a warning. Now, I have no reason to believe that the author of that extension is doing anything malicious, but people should be aware that he could if he wanted to. By installing the extension you are giving it permission to read and modify any information on any website that you visit. This can range from something creepy/annoying like inserting ads into pages you visit, to really bad like snooping information when you go to your bank's website. Most extensions behave well and are written by people with integrity, but there have been instances where extensions that were well trusted by thousands of people couldn't resist the temptation and were updated to do unsavory stuff.

You decide if seeing the old threads is worth the risk, but you might consider disabling the extension and only enabling it when you are viewing an old TDPRI thread.

guitarbuilder likes this.

16. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    Agreed, you have to be careful. And the extensions are not much help if in protest someone deleted their content and closed their PB account. I didn't have extensive use of PB, but I did have a thread here on TDPRI with pictures of my dad's Blackguard. I ended up uploading most of the pictures directly to a post at the end of the thread, but if someone new joins the site they aren't going to wade through 4-5 pages of broken picture links just to see if the pictures are re-added at the bottom of the thread.

mudimba likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.