Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Photobucket: bad to worse

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Meteorman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Barncaster likes this.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yeah, I was just using this thread as an example, because I knew for sure it had PB-affected links.

3. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    I assume many of you have seen that Firefox and Google Chrome have implemented an end-run around PB's recent action. Probably a temporary solution to see your PB pictures in forum posts again, until PB blocks it somehow.

For Firefox browser users, goto to the upper right of the screen and click on the 3 horizontal bars ("Open Menu"), click on "Add-Ons", click on "Get Add-Ons", at the bottom of the screen click on "See More Add-Ons!". A new page will open up, look for "photobucket embed fix", touch it with your mouse pointer and then click on "+ Add to Firefox" then "Add".

For Google Chrome browsers, type in "photobucket embed fix" in the browser search/URL bar and click on the "photobucket embed fix" link.

RogerC likes this.

4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    You my friend are a superstar!! This worked on a Macbook Air using Firefox!!

I can't decide if I want to download the images and update the old threads or just let it go...

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Doesn't seem to be working in Chrome...

Can you see these pics?

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/neck-c...facets-on-the-wood.317748/page-4#post-5957394

All I get is the PB message.

6. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    It doesn't work for me with Firefox

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Doesn't work for Chrome.

8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    It appears that I jumped the gun a bit, the thread I checked was not "old" enough. The "older" images do not show up with the extension in Firefox.

But to address your link in your reply, try this link to Marty's facet method. I posted a link to download the thread (from Marty) with images!

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/neck-c...facets-on-the-wood.317748/page-6#post-7803898

9. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

You can load pix right onto this site without any host now.

fendrguitplayr and John Nicholas like this.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That's how I do it these days. Limit's five pics per post, but it works fine, and presumably it'll work as long as the thread itself exists.

12. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    The reason we were trying that work around was for the older threads that used photobucket and are not able to be edited . It seems there is no dead simple solution for those .

13. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I saw this on a few other forums - pictures hosted here are only as secure as the TDPRI server. If TDPRI were to be hacked, attacked, or if some peon spills coffee onto the server, we'd be at risk of permanently losing any or all attachments. It happened to Silverfish longboarding a few years ago, so when that site shut down a few weeks ago, there were barely any pictures and images to be scraped off of their servers.

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd be willing that there are backups made here. This is a pretty big operation.

15. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I agree Marty. Any worthy forum board does regular backups and I'm sure that would happen here. Sounds like the Silverfish forum was a low budget operation.

guitarbuilder likes this.

16. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    They were the biggest skateboard site on the whole internet for 3 or 4 years there, and were making enough money so that the site admin could do that as his full-time job. They did regular backups, but one of the hacks actually wiped out a bunch of the backups and hosted content. They wound up having to go to their hosting company and get everything back from their cache, since the main servers were so devastated.

I know Xenforo is supposed to be a lot more secure than VBulletin, and I certainly enjoy the convenience of uploading stuff directly here (and to Strat-Talk), but I'm concerned with long-term storage and spreading my footprint out as much as possible.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, thanks. I've really got to stop using that one as an example. But that's all it is. Just one case where I'm absolutely certain they don't work, and that I have the link handy. :)

When you say "older" images... as I understand it, PB doesn't shut down access immediately. There are a number of free 'views'. Once the embedded image has been viewed that number of times, then it's ransomed. Meaning, it's not really about age, and if you find the FF or Chrome extension to "work" on "newer" images, could it be that it does nothing, and those images are simply still available for viewing?

Or I may completely misunderstand....

18. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I notice that sometimes I'm able to drag/drop more images than that. Wonder if the limit is overall file size, not image count? Though mine aren't especially small.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    So...how do I get my pics OUT of Photobucket?
    I can't figure it out.

Mike Simpson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.