Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Photobucket: bad to worse

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Meteorman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I agree it sucks, it's not nice. But this^. You usually give up something when a thing is "free". It's not always obvious what. In this case, control, which I think was pretty obvious, actually. A successful, secure company (think Google) wouldn't make such changes because it wouldn't be in their interest. But a losing / loser site like PB? I know, easy to see now, and initially they appeared decent, I think. But their decline has been going on for a while now.

I don't know if the member has paid PB, or just that the PB view counter hasn't been hit yet, but I was able to scrape a particular build thread that has some tricks I may need in the coming months. I used 'wget' and some custom scripting to make a local mirror. It's not scalable, though. Many images are already dead. And even if I can grab it, it's not mine to republish.

Robert.II likes this.

2. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Why would anybody complain about a free picture hosting service in the first place ?

I just want my pictures back , I don't give a flying fiddle about them not hosting for free anymore , just make the site usable for the folks that want out , let us download our albums and leave , which BTW even under their new setup is suppose to be their policy . They still offer free storage , they still offer the free downloads of any albums you have there , only problem is it don't work .

4. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'm not sure what you're experiencing, could it just be server overload, so many leaving the sinking ship?

5. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yea , that's probably what it is , I'm sure folks are downloading left and right just to get away from them . Hopefully it will slow down enough before they go under that I can get my albums , but for the last few days it just runs me in circles , and won't download . That was one of the reasons I stopped using them a few years back , they got very slow and bloated , I should have downloaded all my old albums then but again poor forethought on my part .

moosie likes this.

6. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    Same reason as anyone else who likes to have a moan. For the sake of a moan. There's a book called: The Games That People Play ....all about a pay-off.

7. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Couldn't it just be that Photobucket just made a not so smart business decision here ? Which is their right to do so . Hurting and inconveniencing their users and alienating them .
    Cause and effect , can't it be that simple ?

MadJack and John Nicholas like this.

8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Honestly, this makes the most sense. To me at least!!

9. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    If you look at it in Black & White it might be. For them it might well be a smart business move. I don't know the amount of people that have just sucked-it-up and just paid - some people will. The amount (assumed) alienated might well be smaller than we think.

10. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    This.

I'm back on TDPRI after some time away, and of course all my build threads from 2009-11ish are now useless. I'm not sure I've got the heart or the time to get the photos back and repost or relink them; it seems a pity.

I worry about the excellent archived build threads I learned from back then.

I'd imagine PB will find this was a colossal miscalculation. Many folks will never go back to them.

John Nicholas and adirondak5 like this.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    As a PB paying customer for a few years, I would have considered continuing paying the same amount, which maybe was 36 dollars a year, to keep them afloat if they'd have even bothered to ask. To me $400 just isn't realistic when I have the pictures on my computer some place anyway. I think it is a poor business decision to treat your customers like that.

sfcmark, John Nicholas and adirondak5 like this.

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I'd never store a picture on a web site without having a backup of it.

John Nicholas likes this.

13. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Oh, I've got them on some hard drive from six or seven years ago. But we're talking many hundred pictures here, documenting a number of builds. Yes, I should repost them; no, I'm not sure I've got the time.

adirondak5 likes this.

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    In order to repost all those thread pictures to make the most sense, the threads would have to become editable again. I'm guessing that could become a forum nightmare.....

John Nicholas, moosie and adirondak5 like this.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    One possibility is that PB is attempting, however crudely, to get a short-term revenue bump, cooking the books as it were, to get a higher buyout offer from someone who might want their infrastructure and user list.

Still misguided, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Barncaster likes this.

16. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    There's supposedly a workaround the PB issue - until they change it!

If you put: ~original

......immediately after .jpg in your link the pics show.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Interesting, but still won't fix all the uneditable old posts...

18. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2011
    Swamps of Louisiana
    Tinypic has gone to garbage too.

19. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    And yet nobody was moaning when they saw a place to load their images for free, for years.... Probably said in the small print we own the site and we'll do what we want, when we want. Most sites, do.

I'm not sticking up for PB. It is their property and they can do as they please. Its that old sayin' : nothing in life is for free. It was only a matter of time and that times now. But yeah, its a PITA getting out of their wriggle, cuz, they'd rather you didn't.

Not exactly free. As a member you are bombarded by Photobucket and third-party advertising, your profile information is sold to marketing companies, etc etc. I accepted these things as the price of using Photobucket, annoying as they were. But I will not put up with that nonsense as well as pay $400 per year for image hosting. Especially as Photobucket seems to have mortally wounded itself with their policy changes. None of these things are the fault of freeloading users, but of a company which is incompetently run. Far more useless sites than Photobucket seem capable of generating revenue. But Photobucket is run by one of those current species of executives who can float away on their golden lifeboats after ripping the hull out of their companies.

Now would be a good time for a group of tech-minded people to create a site to replace Photobucket. There is enough interest to make it work.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    [​IMG]

moosie, John Nicholas and Mat UK like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.