Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Photobucket: bad to worse

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Meteorman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. MA6200

MA6200 TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    Yeah, this seems like they just want to get out of it.

2. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    If I had known this was coming, I'd have chosen a bunch of beloved build (etc) threads, and written a script to grab all of them locally, including images. Then they could be re-hosted. But it seems too late for that.

Freekmagnet and John Nicholas like this.

3. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    I don't know what all this Photobucket baloney is about. I got Cloudberry Explorer as a front end for the Amazon storage service that they call S3. Cloudberry is a very inexpensive one-time purchase. Amazon charges pennies. Once when I was early with them I got a monthly bill for six cents.

Click to put up the photos, click to give permission for people to see them, click to get a URL, and there you have it.

I was so happy with all that that I got the Cloudberry Backup going into S3, and it works flawlessly.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    But what kind of URL? An actual image filename, like my_guitar.jpg? Or something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/CHHyhmt6IBl4uyCJtleiE5pVLLjty1CVNAh

Which cannot be pasted into an IMG tag on a forum. That's the same issue I have with Google Drive. Obviously the cloud providers don't want to be the new photobuckets of the world...

6. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    Yes, an actual image file. I do it all the time.

[​IMG]

Freekmagnet likes this.

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Cool! Now we just need to get CloudBerry to run on Macs. :(

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2009
    Leeds, UK
    I seriously ask you to go do a search on any forum where images are and I guarantee that 99% of the images won't be there because they'll have been hosted by pb and are now missing.

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You don't think I know this??? :) .... I was responding to why one would use photobucket in the first place years ago.

10. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    This is what's seriously annoying. I used Picasa for ages. Typical Google, they took it over, did some interesting things, then eventually killed it off - BUT they did it gracefully. Nothing's been lost, all the links etc. still work, you just can't use it like you used to. Hey, no worries, and thanks for the memories. Hosting images was Photobucket's raison d'etre; if they want to change that for the future, then fair enough - but don't break everything and send out a ransom note!

I suppose it comes back to the 'no such thing as a free lunch' problem, but they seriously haven't thought this through. They supposedly had 100m users - if they have to introduce a charge, then at a buck a month people will grumble but enough will probably pay up (like guitarbuilder did). A buck a day? Yeah, right! Even more stupidly, it drives away all the paying punters on the cheaper packages, too.

I strongly recommend a little program called Irfanview. I've been using it for years; It has an option in the File menu for 'Batch Conversion'. You can set up the parameters you want (e.g. max width or whatever), then point it at the contents of a photo folder (for example), choose an output folder, and hit run. In a few seconds it will resize/convert/whatever else you've asked it to do and they're ready for dragging into TDPRI.

(Despite being a Windows native program, it will run happily on Linux through Wine if you put a little .dll in your config.)

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Well said. Sums up the gist of my thoughts. 20/20 hindsight, but nobody gives away things for free, PB either badly miscalculated the revenue that would result from the free photo hosting (free customers migrating to paid services), or had planned this move from the get-go. This makes them either morons or really evil, calculating charlatans, neither of whom I care to do business with.

So far I haven't had any problems dragging photos directly into my threads here; placing them where I want them in a longer post is a skill I'm still working on. But if resizing them makes this feature more viable, and keeps the forum from running into problems in the future, I'll check out Irfanview or other photo-manipulation programs to make it happen. I learned Canon's software method of in-camera file sizing quite a while back and am comfortable doing that. I never get any "file too big" messages, so I assume it's working well.

12. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    (BTW - happy buffday for t'other day, Rick. Hope you're having a good one with the family! :) )

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Thank you, Mr. R. Had a great day. Took off from work, something I haven't done for my birthday, ever, in my recollection--and it was marvelous. I could almost believe that Mother Nature is setting me up for the big R!:cool: I've been blessed with an interesting, if not especially lucrative career, and never really minded all that much, coming back to work after some time off. But I thought seriously about calling in another day off-probably would have, but my co-worker was in a car crash and is fighting neck and back injuries, so I felt duty-bound.:oops:

14. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    If Photobucket was ethical they'd grandfather images already hosted on forums & begin with new images you upload as being subject to paying the extortion fee, but Photobucket isn't ethical. I haven't uploaded any new images to PB in years but will just leave what I have there as backup and never use it again.

John Nicholas likes this.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    TDPRI seems to handle resizing pretty gracefully on it's own. Now if this was a photography site, maybe it wouldn't be desirable, but I've got no complaints. Just drag n drop.

16. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I have downloaded a few of my albums from Phonybucket but have at least a dozen or more albums to go , most with hundreds of pics . The first few I downloaded it worked but was a slow cumbersome task , but now , the last 2 days I've tried about a dozen times I can't bulk download albums at all . Is this the beginning of the end for Phonybucket ? If it is its a hell of a thing , try to blackmail all the heavy users and then make it so they cant even get their pics back . I'm usually pretty laid back and easy going but at this point " A POX ON PHONYBUCKET " I say . There is no way to even contact them , I can do all single downloads but that's gonna take me a week of Sundays .

guitarbuilder likes this.

17. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I don't know how PB even made it this far, there are plenty of other hosting sites that aren't as slow or filled with ads that are normally found in places of the web that aren't legitimate and or you wouldn't show to your parents.

I use the forum now, drag and drop so easy prior to the update I used flickr for image hosting.

18. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Should be a class-action lawsuit against PhotoBucket over this extortion. They've destroyed many years of how-to threads by kidnapping pics and holding them for ransom.

19. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    And yet nobody was moaning when they saw a place to load their images for free, for years.... Probably said in the small print we own the site and we'll do what we want, when we want. Most sites, do.

I'm not sticking up for PB. It is their property and they can do as they please. Its that old sayin' : nothing in life is for free. It was only a matter of time and that times now. But yeah, its a PITA getting out of their wriggle, cuz, they'd rather you didn't.

moosie likes this.

20. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I know it's their site, but as I said in a previous post an ethical company would allow hosting of pics already uploaded, and begin the pay-for-hosting only for pics uploaded after a certain date. What they're doing is plain old extortion. They've chosen to destroy their company by ripping pics from thousands of how-to threads and holding them for ransom, and now that's their sad legacy. Wear it with shame, Photobucket, & RIP.

However, I'd already stopped uploading pics to PB some 3 years ago because the site had become very buggy.

21. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Holic

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Ain't nothing FREE...you gotta PAY for the free stuff eventually...ala' Photo(commode)Bucket!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.