Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Photobucket: bad to worse

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Meteorman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Now Photobucket is turning pictures posted by users into millions of free ads over the web. Sounds good for them.

On the other hand, what kind of message does it send? "Hey people, we are deleting images here, would you like to pay for that service?". :rolleyes:

The problem is not new: back in the 2000´s then around 2007, well from Time to time, a free hosting service has been doing the same. Who can remember their name?

Move on.

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    It would sure be nice if we could do it with either Google Drive or MS OneDrive but...

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I'm pretty sure for $400 / year you could buy yourself enough of a website to even offer file serving service to others. But I don't want to have to become some kind of web wonk just to share photos with my buds here.

I agree 1000% that Phoneybucket's gambit here is absolutely no different than the criminals who foist hostageware on innocent web users. Like I said above, I really didn't want to entrust strangers with my photos in the first place, and this only reinforces my suspicions about cloud-computing. You will, at some point, come to regret turning your photos, files, data over to strangers who will be able to hold your stuff hostage.

4. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    You just press the X in the box like any other pop up.

IMG_4227.PNG

IMG_4228.PNG

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I just received an email or more accurately a ransom note from phonybucket advising that any 3rd party picture hosting I have through them will be disabled unless I upgrade (I am not upgrading). So I guess they are going to cut the links soon . In the grand scheme of things I guess it is what it is and life goes on , but its still a big bite out of a you know what sandwich . I can't see how they could stay in the hosting business or like Mike said previously maybe they don't really want to host pictures at all anymore , I see this as a big mistake on their part and I think they will pay for it sooner or later .

6. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis
    I've been using PB for ten years....recently dumped them. With all the competition they have, they are making some very foolish choices.

7. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Seems like they changed their business model to "...PB, your free hostage service". :rolleyes:
    who, in their right mind, could find anything positive in that decicion? :confused:

Barncaster likes this.

8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    tried to download my images but that is not working at this moment. after checking your no robot it says downloading, then a message come's that something went wrong. you have to login again to try again.
    could the reason be that some off the albums are private?

9. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    It's a load of crap, took me better part of a day to get my photos, now they are all on a hard drive, my phone or Facebook

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2009
    Leeds, UK
    I don't know why anyone used them ever. Every thread with pb hosted images never have the images after a few months because they've been taken down. I don't know if this is because there was a limit before you needed to pay but it would make sense to use a free service and just keep them up. Great for archiving.

Loco and Meteorman like this.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I used photobucket exclusively and it was a fine way to get the pictures into this forum. I even paid 3 dollar a month for more access for a couple years. Nothing is free in life. I'm not about to be blackmailed into paying 400 a year though....

John Nicholas likes this.

12. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I also used them exclusively for quite a few years and didn't mind paying a reasonable yearly fee for extra bandwidth . A few years ago I switched to imgur about the time Phonybucket started with all the bloatware . They won't get $400 per year from me , I see a few of my old pics in threads are gone but most are still showing. I also spent about 2 hours downloading my albums from Phonybucket to my hard drive , maybe 4 albums so far , they even make that excruciatingly slow , maybe after another 8 hours I'll be done , oh joy !

13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    I pay about $50 a year to have my web page hosted. I think I have about 10 gig of space.That's more than enough for any pics I want to post on forums.

Freekmagnet likes this.

14. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

$400 a year is out of this world ridiculous.

For that amount of money you could set up a network external hard drive that would be cloud capable and hold several TBs.

And it would only be a one time cost.

Freekmagnet likes this.

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like the CEO is working on his pension plan......

16. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I think the reason the PB links are dying gradually is that it's based on some limited number of free 3rd party views. So more frequently viewed pages, those photo links die sooner.

I love that TDPRI allows drag-drop direct upload and (one assumes) forever storage and hosting on the threads. They do resize, but that hasn't been a problem for me. Perhaps full-size photo hosting could be a future paid account feature... Storage is cheap.

The way I work with TDPRI now is to drag all photos from my desktop file manager, into my posts. But... I don't want to store my photos locally. I use an Android phone, and I don't know about iPhones, but android syncs very seamlessly with Google Drive. When I take phone pics, they're automatically sent wherever, including G Drive. I can link 'em in text messages. They're backed up. Etc.

G Drive storage pricing: For any google account (gmail anyone?), you get 15G free storage. That includes your mail, but I've been solely using gmail for both work and personal, since 2004, never deleting anything, and it's only 3GB. If you need more than 15G, you can get 100G for only $20/year. If you want a full terabyte ( ! ), it's only $100 annually.

But wait, there's more :) If you allow Google to scale some of your HUGE photos to a still hi-res size that my eye can barely detect, then photo storage is unlimited, and doesn't count toward any totals.

So, how do I get my photos from G Drive, to my desktop, to drag into TDPRI? The desktop Google Drive application, of course. Free for Windows and Mac. It just tucks away as a status or menu bar icon. It's easy to show your Drive files as a folder in your normal local file manager. They act in every way like local files. Edit them, instant bidirectional sync. They don't take up local space, as their names are displayed, but only downloaded on demand.

So I just keep a Finder window open with my whole Google Drive directory structure, and drag photos into TDPRI as needed.

Even though I use a Mac, I can't speak to the full Apple iPhone experience. I imagine you can still do all this, just not sure how streamlined it is vs Android.

Also, I never try to link photos into TDPRI from my phone. When I browse it on my phone, I'm either just reading, or briefly replying with text.

While this works well for me on TDPRI, not all forums (and even TDPRI classifieds) allow drag-drop. So I still need some external hosting. Sadly Google Drive links aren't just simple images, so can't be linked in IMG tags. I've begun using Flickr as a free solution in these cases, but I haven't really checked it out. Mostly I just post here, and use Flickr for hosting photos for gear I'm selling. So, I don't care if they get deleted at some point.

Finally, I haven't checked out Amazon Prime, but members get a TON of free storage (unlimited?). My guess is it's like G Drive, though, and not providing easy IMG links. But I don't know for certain.

17. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Or a tin cup, a shabby coat, and flea-infested, scraggly beard on a dirty, frozen slush-covered street corner in downtown Detroit. Which would serve the bustard right.

Barncaster, adirondak5 and cdwillis like this.

18. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    This is probably an unpopular opinion, but in the past Photobucket only made money through ads, the sale of prints (how many people buy those?) and the few people who used some sort of paid service with them.

Not sure about everyone else, but I never paid them a dime. Only used their service to host photos for forum posts.

This is not really a great business plan on their side. Even with all that said, the way they have gone about changing things is absolutely horrible. I still have not received an e-mail stating they have changed the way the do things.

It was inevitable that something would change.

An inexpensive way to store photos online is to set up a web hosting account. Of course while you're at it, you can set up a web site too!!

Not that this is the only service or even the best, but here is an example of what's available and the cost of the hosting.

http://www.hostgator.com/web-hosting

The Hostgator Hatchling plan costs $3.95 a month for unlimited storage space if you pay for 36 months all at once. It's not "cheap" at $142.20 for 3 years, but far less then the $400 per year Photobucket is asking for.

Just an FYI, the cost per month for renewal is $6.95 per month after the initial "sale" price.

I've used Hostgator in the past and they are reliable. The most important part is no one can hold your images hostage!

Also if you happen to be an Amazon Prime member they have unlimited photo storage. I haven't looked into it to see if you can use it to host photos for forums. But again you can run into the issue with a company changing the rules after you get used to using their service.

Just my $.02

R. Stratenstein likes this.

19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I agree with you completely, John, and I think maybe at some point in the past, PB miscalculated the income potential from ads and prints, maybe thinking also that free hosting would bring expansion of premium (paid) services, which didn't happen. But I think they've made an equally bad miscalculation with their new image-hostage plan, thinking maybe that some commercial users or even amateurs who want to keep their images viable would be forced to pay the extortionate fee to do so. They've realized they need to generate more revenue now, and I wouldn't have minded a reasonable explanation of their situation, and imposition of a reasonable fee. But maybe the $400 is a reflection of how deeply they're in the hole. Or it could be as misguided, clumsy, and inaccurate a calculation (WAG) as was their original decision to offer free photo hosting, without considering the potential future costs. As far as I'm concerned, they're a crew of incompetent boobs and pirates to boot.

Caught in the middle are guys like us. Not going to pay $400 ransom, and even after I migrate to another hosting service, I would not have the time, even if I knew how (and I don't think it's possible) to re-link all the photos in previous posts here and on other sites. And frankly, it's not worth it for any of us to even try. No great loss in my case, but there is literally a priceless wealth of guitar-building information on this forum alone, that is for all intents and purposes, totally lost.

As noted above, storage is cheap, I'm thinking about getting a 2TB or so external drive for my photos, use TDPRI's direct upload, and be choosy about how many photos I upload so as to minimize the impact on the forum's storage.

Barncaster and John Nicholas like this.

20. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    I deleted my photobucket account this morning from these blackmailing robbers, :mad:
    The amount of those 'how to' step by step pictures sites they've ruined is enormous.
    Good riddance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.