Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Photobucket: bad to worse

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Meteorman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Some of you may have noticed Photobucket's new business model rolled out in mid June: pay 'em $400 a year, or no 3rd party image hosting (i.e. no linking to forums like this).
    Soooo... dunno bout you cats, but I'm not paying anyone $400 for a service I can get free.
    I did recently switch to Flickr after a technical glitch with PB, but I think the insidious part is, eventually, as PB rolls thru their implementation, all old image links from accounts that don't pay up will be broken.

Valuable tutorials & build threads in this forum, if they used PB, are at risk.

Many forums are alarmed by this, obviously, but not sure what the solution is.
    For picture heavy posters (guilty), recreating new Flickr links to replace all old PB links ain't gonna happen.
    My stuff wont be missed, but I really fear for some of the classic build threads.
    /mike

moosie likes this.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Looks like PB has done me a favor by this short-sighted move. Frankly, the ONLY reason I ever used them was to post on this forum, and with the new format at TDPRI, I now have the ability to upload photos directly to threads.

I have been needing to dump these guys for a good long time, looks like now's the time. I hope there's a way to retrieve my own photos into my custody and control. I think I've decided a very large storage capacity, with secondary physical backup, is a better idea than putting your data into the control of others.

Call me a Luddite, but Photobucket's move is how I envision all "cloud" file handling to eventually work. It can be hacked, or orrupted by somebody else' ineptness, and sooner or later, you will be informed that your costs are going to increase. Not surprising, hostageware looks like it's all the rage now.

Steve 78 likes this.

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yea , I switched to imgur a while back but I have a few older threads loaded with images I have on phonybucket , unfortunately the pics will be gone when they disable the links .

4. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    In PB, you can download all the photos in each album with one click. They'll come down as a zip file which you'll have to unzip. Each album, or image directory in your library, will require this action.
    I understand fee for service, but $400 seems like PB isnt really interested in staying in the 3rd-party image hosting business. I suspect most clients will oblige them, in that case.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

5. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Imgur is forcing me to download the app if I want to upload from my phone now. No can do.

If I want to upload pics I have to email them to myself, download em, then upload em onto imgur? Sound efficient to anyone?

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    It's apparently worse than just PB. Supposedly Imgur, which I've also used in the past, has a "no hot-linking" provision in its terms of service, and began aggressively pursuing it last year. Looks like it will be gone before long, also. In my ignorance, I don't understand hot linking, embedding, and all that technical web crap, I just wanted to put photos in my posts here. What a stupid hot mess.

It looks to me like the days of free photo hosting for the purpose of linking to forums are over. So assuming payment will be necessary for the privilege, would it be reasonable for TDPRI to expand their facilities, and charge a modest fee for us to it? I'd rather pay this forum than some pirate outfit. I don't know if uploading files directly from my computer, assuming we all start doing it, would overwhelm TDPRI's resources.

John Nicholas likes this.

7. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I've uploaded photos on Imgur from my phone within the last couple of weeks. It suggests using the app, but you don't have to use it, unless it's changed between then and now.

8. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I have no idea what "hot linking" is Rick , but imgur has an option to copy and paste your pictures link to message boards and forums which works well . I agree with you that the days of free hosting services are probably coming to an end . I guess I'll down load all my phonybucket albums and imgur albums and keep em on a few thumb drives or something like that , maybe pickup an external hard drive .

9. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC

Here's what the definition of "hot-linking" means:

Hot-linking is a term used on the Internet that means displaying an image on a website by linking to another website to obtain the source data of the picture each time it is needed, rather than saving a copy of it on the website on which the image will be shown.

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    The reason I use photobucket is because it is kind of a hassle to resize images to store them on tdpri, and I'm a bit lazy for that. Grr... I wonder how hard it would be to to set up my own fileserver with my broadband provider. Disk is super cheap and it's not like I haven't had broadband for the last 18 years..lolz. and I know unix...

How lazy I gotta be here??

11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    But, in true Photobucket fashion, I did that and had a few pics that came out corrupted.

12. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    I reckon we will all settle on some solution that works for us individually as we move forward.
    But again, my angst is over the impending loss of the valuable historical stuff that is documented on this site - the tutorials & build threads without pictures won't be a whole lotta help.

I don't think its a stretch to say this site is the single greatest repository of tele-style guitar (and amps too) building & finishing tips, techniques. tutorials, and opinions that exists.
    There can't be an individual book that covers the breadth and depth of the craft that this forum, in its entirety, has documented.
    Along with that comes the occasional mis-information too, but such is the interweb.
    To lose big chunks of a critical part of all that information transfer - the photos - seems a real shame to me.

Piggy Stu, nosmo and moosie like this.

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    What is the easiest way to migrate my pictures from Photobucket to - say imgur?

14. The Crash Cowboy

The Crash Cowboy Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    I think it's a bad ripoff that FB does. I am sure willing to pay for hosting and hotlinking my images, but no way I'm gonna pay $ 400,- for that, especially cause they blackmail all users by just shutting off all embedded images.

That said, my threads here are pretty worthless now ...

Strange thing is that the web version of TDPRI (so not the app) still shows all my images ...

15. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Far as I know, you have to grind through it - download all your photos off PB, one album at a time, onto your computer & unzip them, then upload them into whatever new hosting service you've selected. Unless of course you still have those photos on your computer (the ones you uploaded to PB in the first place) - then skip that first step.
    PB will continue to store your images in whatever plan you have now - if you want - it's just the hot-linking service that goes away unless you pay.
    Of course, that's why probably 90% of us use it in the first place.

16. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    When are they gonna cut the links to photos ? Mine are still showing on older threads . I've started downloading all my albums , another slow process like everything else with phonybucket .

17. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Most of the image links in my forum threads have been nuked, but a few inexplicably are still up. There's just one image left at the end of my Micawber thread, and I did some things there I've never seen in another build. One very popular thread I had on another forum (50,000 or so views) is effectively gone...an illustrated tutorial without illustrations isn't much use.

I managed to get all of the image links on my blog changed over to Flickr (at least until they decide to go the hostage route as well). If there was an option to edit the old posts on at least my couple of popular forum threads, I'd go back and restore them.

BTW, I consider this tantamount to ransomware...at least if I had gotten hit with "wannacry" I could have gotten my files back for a $300 one-time payment. $400 a year is an extortionate rate for simple hosting of a couple hundred photos.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

18. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    When viewing the site on my phone the screen is obscured by a command to "download the imgur app" with no way to opt out of or even close the command. That is fairly recent as I'd been uploading pics months previously.

19. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Couldn't one just use their Facebook account as a photo host?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.