Phoney Vintage (amber) coloured neck finish

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Solaris moon, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Who loves them/hates them? I'll go first. I HATE THEM!! They're too dark and never look accurate, and if you want to buy one and use it as a restoration/new build then it doesn't go too well with any finish that I've seen so far including sunburst. I wish that Fender wouldn't do this any more. It's also easy enough for pirates to make a copy of and pass off as original/reissue.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I have a classic 60's mim neck finished in vintage amber. They vary but mine looks more dirty brown orange imo but still better than a non tinted white neck. I tint my own allparts necks with colortone stain mixed with water. Much more pleasing to the eye than my MIM and you can achieve any color you like.
    I really don't like the non tinted albino looking necks, probably more so than the overtinted Fender versions.

You must really hate the roasted maple necks.:)

Do you have a spec preference or just color? Fender do make models without the Amber tinted necks.

20181113_202635.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not my thing either. I like maple necks to be pale and to be allowed to age naturally.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Most pale necks are poly and will take 30 plus years to age if at all.
    Luckily all types are readily available so people can choose whatever they personally like on their guitars.
    I like the traditional look of original 50's and 60's tele's and strats which are all aged and ambered by now. I don't have 25k plus to sink into a guitar that more than likely won't be spec's to my preference and I don't want to wait 50 plus years to own a guitar I like the look of. The market seems to infer the that the majority of players buying Fender guitars think the same way which is why there are so many amber tinted neck models on fenders menu.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

well, if you are talking about this ...

[​IMG]
    or this ...

[​IMG]

well, then I am all in - love it! :)

6. CigBurn

CigBurn TDPRI Member

Big fan of tinted maple here.

7. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

20181125_101351.jpg

Love 'em.

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

It drives me nuts. It's so hideous, and has cosmetically ruined countless guitars IMO. I will no longer buy AVRIs or other reissues because of it, unless the price is so good that I can warrant a strip, refin, and new decal for the neck. There are enough good options out there without it nowadays that I don't have to compromise in that way any more. They finally fixed it with the AVs, and luckily the fix carried over to the AOs.

I have my old trusty '94 MIJ '50's Strat (original owner) with the piss-dipped neck, and it's almost time for new frets. When that happens, the finish is coming off and clear lacquer is going on. I am going to take it off my AVRI P- Bass neck too, and apply clear lacquer (and switch to fresh clay dots while I'm at it). Not going to bother with my Yamaha PAC-510V, though. I'm also going to leave my 2002 Custom Shop Esquire alone, since the tint is not very heavy on that one. It's the one hideous aspect of my Legacy Rustic, but the guitar is very rare, it's serial is on a decal, and G&L doesn't have a decal replacement policy for a refinish like Fender does, so it will stay. It also helps that black with a white guard is the most tolerable body color to go with with a tinted neck, IMO.

891882_10151549434301346_1621224760_o.jpg

9. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

To each his own, like any aesthetic aspect of the guitar its personal choice. I like both but I think if I was given a choice between tinted and non-tinted necks I'd go with the tint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Those necks you gave as an example discoloured over time because of the finish used. They were never "white" to begin with, at least not the chalk white we see nowadays, which won't discolor.

Tint all day baby.
    [​IMG]

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

To each, his own.

But about 10% of guys who do the tinting thing, take it too far. Hard to resist the impulse to keep putting more toner on there. One of the coolest looks is some toner, but then the toner itself has been aged a bit in the sun. It also helps if the maple underneath started out with some character and was not super bland, Wonder Bread color maple.

RoscoeElegante and Festus_Hagen like this.
  12. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

I found out long ago .....

When you THINK you need just another coat or 2 of amber, you've got enough. I know what you are saying about going overboard. I just like a little color on mine, nothing crazy.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

OP: Can we get some examples of what you particularly dislike? Is it something like what @Chunkocaster posted in #2 or @IronSchef in #5?

I tend to like some tint, too. I really, really dislike the pale white necks one sees on some Fenders (like the bottom one in @Stratohacker 's post), and if I'm choosing between that and tint, I'll take it darker all day long.

Chunkocaster and RoscoeElegante like this.
  14. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

The vast majority are too urine-yellow.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

That's not what I think I see.

No offense meant to IronSchef, but I personally find that Fender Strat neck with the overly Orange tint to be too much. G + L has also been doing this for years. Too much Cheetos color. And not IMO authentic of what I saw in the bars and on bandstands. Sadly, when it comes to authenticity, the correct color is a yellowing towards dark brown. That's the "real" correct toner color, for the player who died of lung cancer in 1982. And frankly I don't see large numbers of toned necks like this.

Maybe these are "too much", 0621, but they are the most accurate ones and isn't that the actual objective we had? Or are we just trying to create "art" or something?

16. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Many are way too yellow. Some are too dark. A few are just right. Many are way too light almost white.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Pale and pasty is worse

bender66, Jim603 and greenhornet like this.
  18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love tinted necks, but only the ones I tint myself. The MIM lacquer orange makes me puke a little in the mouth when I see it :D

19. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

This

20. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

OK. I've read all your posts and I agree with most of you as far as too white - that's not what I mean. I don't like that look either unless it's a satin finish. But by and far I like the look of a brand new Fender neck when it's BRAND NEW!! Not the look of a fourty to fifty year old instrument. I want mine to age gracefully. However I have a reissue Strat that I bought BRAND NEW and when I took it apart you could see the colour difference between the new and the old where it aged prematurely. I HATE THIS LOOK!! I too puke in my mouth a little every time I see this phoney over done amber wannabe finish. It's TOO DARK and TOO BROWN! If it was light then I could get used to seeing it like that, but this is so overdone that it looks like someone did this in their garage. I don't want to replace the decal on the one that I just bought. It has parts in it where the finish looks like it wasn't applied right, or had something done to it, but I had to go over one spot to fix it since it was "too dipped" where they had masked the finish off the frets for spraying. Otherwise this would be fixable with lacquer, or polyurethane, or other finish medium if not for this ugly colour. I only wish that it was a few shades (if not more) lighter. I refinished the first reissue that I bought and now the lacquer on it has turned yellow and looks like this somewhat in certain light but overall doesn't look like the overburned yellow/brown finish that Fender is stupidly applying to their reissue necks now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.