Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Phase or "vibe"? (Sturgill Simpson)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CliffordReid, Aug 8, 2018.

1. CliffordReid

CliffordReid TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Vancouver
    It took me awhile to get into as well.

I loved the songs, and the music, but he sounded like a cross between Elton John with peanut butter stuck in his throat, and Kermit the frog. Then one day it just kinda clicked and it stopped bugging me.

2. CliffordReid

Jul 18, 2018
    Vancouver
    I'm leaning more Vibe as well with this one. Just thought it would be fun to get some other opinions.

Jef likes this.

3. CliffordReid

Jul 18, 2018
    Vancouver
    Aaron Lewis singing about things not being country?

Hello Kettle, this is pot... You are black.

Aaron Lewis is much closer to modern "bro" country than he is to real country. And this is a completely unbiased opinion. I loved Staind when I was a kid, I love Aaron lewis's solo acoustic stuff, but I hate him as a "country" artist. He takes a lot of his great songs and then ****s all over them with country cliches.

Sturgill isn't a full on country artist anyways. it's like 75% country, and then 25% whatever other influence he may have on that particular song.

Besides. Neither Sturgill, nor any of his fans really care about him as a "country" artist. We all just like him. He has a psychedelic feel to most of his songs, so the choice of feel/effects in that performance don't really shock me. Just leaning more psychedelic than country in his approach that night.

But yes, sounds like a deja vibe.

4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    Which was a brilliant track, and brilliant series btw. His albums are quite a mixed pot imo ...

RyCo1983 and Paul Jenkin like this.

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Agreed. I really enjoyed the series but plans for a follow-up have been binned.

6. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    From R.G. Keens "Technology of the Univibe":

"The Univibe, for all the hype, is a phaser or phase shifter. It's one of the earliest of the footpedal phasers, and was implemented in discrete transistors, instead of the opamps that most later phasers like the MXR Phase 90 would use."

Crobbins likes this.

7. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2017
    Virginia
    Your post made me think about something. I wonder why folks need to worry about pigeonholing things into a purist's perspective? Enjoy somethin' for what it is, don't worry about what it's not. I love good blues-based rock and roll, AC/DC, Journey, Foreigner, FooFighters, 7 Mary 3, old blues, good country, jazz - anything where instruments are being played well. I like seeing performers mix it up, too - I remember seeing Garth do American Pie as an acoustic encore a lotta years back, and have enjoyed hearing Vince Gill do the variety of stuff that he performs.

To your post, yeah - so what if something's not "pure country"? If that detracts from one's enjoyment, then perhaps broadening perspective is in order.

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Right on, that was just a quick internet search. His official website listed none of his gear. I figured it might help solve the mystery.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I know. The novelty factor.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    If you're talking about Laur Joamets (Li'l Joe), you are right. But, he's been gone for awhile, sadly. His original bass player is gone, too, playing with Margo Price now.

That band was an amazing unit and a big part of the attraction to Strugill for me. Have to admit, I don't pay much attention to him anymore. :oops:

Jonzilla, RyCo1983 and getbent like this.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

well... I can dial that sound up on probably either pedal... sturgill's playing has really advanced in the last few years... so, yeah, don't get hung up on 'which' pedal exactly... get you a phase shifter (waylon used a couple different ones) and start whanging on it... I pretty much leave a slow phase on all night... mine is kinda touch sensitive so, the harder I play, the more it effects... and super minor tuning or intonation issues get swallered up.

12. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Do you know if he always used 4-stage phasers? Or, was there a time he used a 2-stage, like Phase 45 or DOD 201?

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

This is just my old, convenient memory, so highly likely I am mistaken, I thought he used mxr 90's and 100's

When I found that out, I stopped with all the tone hunt... god, I remember buying a Boss Phaser and it had a bunch of knobs and you could get that god awful Alabama sound...

what I notice with Waylon, when I listen close and without my 70's ears on... his phasing is pretty subtle but his playing really pushes the sound...

If you give a listen to the Joe Walsh solo record 'you can't argue with a sick mind' he and felder are doing a similar thing...

I built my own phaser from byoc kit and man, I've had 20 guys want to buy it... the secret? I kind of learned that waylon style and the syncopation (not sure if I'm using that correctly) with some phase... money!

Hey, I just asked a friend who worked with waymore, what he used.. for pedals, he used a Boss Phaser in the 80's, MXR Phase 90 and a Small Stone in the 70's and a t.c. electronics chorus/flanger from the late 80's on.

so, there you go. that feller would know fo sho.

E5RSY likes this.

14. CliffordReid

Jul 18, 2018
    Vancouver
    I always thought a univibe was close to a chorus/flange, with added vibrato?

15. CliffordReid

Jul 18, 2018
    Vancouver
    I come from punk rock. There is so much ******** involved with what’s “true punk” or not.

Country is so similar I’m finding.

I don’t necessarily consider Sturgill a full on country artist. But I also don’t care. You can call him pop/polka and it won’t change anything. He’s just a great artist, and I love every one of his albums. Especially since they’re all so different.

Old Tele Hack likes this.

16. CliffordReid

Jul 18, 2018
    Vancouver
    Haha well thanks!

I do enjoy that site though. Lots of good info, just not always very accurate.

Crobbins likes this.

17. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Hey, thanks. Cool info to have. I knew about the MXR and the EHX, but not the others.

Scott

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

"Country"? Isn't he from Vermont?

19. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    His recent appearance on SNL with Chris Stapleton was borderline ridiculous, as far as that goes. I couldn't make out a word.

David Barnett likes this.

20. CliffordReid

Jul 18, 2018
    Vancouver
    Massachusetts. Super country.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.