Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peter Green mod?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecaster Joe, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Telecaster Joe

Telecaster Joe Tele-Meister

I am looking to do the Peter Green out of phase modification to a Epiphone Les Paul that I will be getting in a few weeks. I know there is more to it than just turning the neck pickup upside down. From what I understand Greeny had removed the pickup for a while. Then when he put it back in, he put it upside down and wired it wrong by accident. The rest is history.

Does any one know how this is done or can provide a diagram for the changes I would have to make to the wireing? Any help would be cool.

I will post pics of my "Greeny tribute" guitar as soon as I get it. Meanwhile here are some pics of the real thing. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Just out of phase from memory- reverse the + and gnd wires on one and only one pickup.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Besides being backwards, one of the magnets is flipped as well. Go over to the Les Paul Forum and do a search. It's been discussed to death over there.

4. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

Jun 19, 2006
    Northwest Missouri
    The negative is also the shielding of a typical humbucker. Reversing the leads will create a lot of noise.

TJ, you will need to flip the magnet to get that sound. It is a great sound with the gain up, but sounds kind of hokey when played clean. Since I like the clean sound, I had to give it up. Also, I really missed the regular middle toggle sound.

For a month, though, it was a lot of fun. You get such a range of sound just by slightly adjusting one of the volume knobs.

I did this with Seth Lover pickups, so I didn't have to worry about wax potting.

--gh

5. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    My Gibson Les Paul Studio had that mod added by the previous owner, it's a very cool and unique sound! :)

6. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the Epiphone Les Pauls have 4 conductor buckers?

7. Telecaster Joe

What is involved in "flipping" the magnet?

I don't really use the middle position much on dual HB guitars and I also like the out of faze sound. So, this would be a cool mod for me.

8. Telecaster Joe

......So, can anyone tell me what's involved in flipping the magnet on my neck humbucker?

9. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

Jun 19, 2006
    Northwest Missouri
    Here are some pictures of swapping a magnet: blog post

To flip the magnet, you install it with the reverse polarity. You only need to loosen up the four screws in that humbucker to slide the magnet out.

--gh

10. markophonic

markophonic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Michigan
    I love that guitar!

If I had a million dollars...

Forget Blackie, SRV, J. Page, Roy B., Danny G. I could care less about those guitars but the Greeny LP I'd take...Or the Springsteen Esquire.

11. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2004
    San Diego
    I may be wrong but I seem to remember that it is not technically "out of phase" but in parallel with the magnet(s?) reversed... or something! Hamer used to wire their beautiful "Sunburst Archtop" that way in middle position...

Best,
    Tom

12. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2003
    Pleasanton, CA
    Out of phase is out of phase, whether it is accomplished by flipping the magnet, or by wiring the pickup in reverse. In physics, there is a memory device called the right hand rule. Make your right hand into a fist, with the thumb pointing out. Your thumb represents magnetic north, and your fingers represent the direction of current flow. This is a perfect representation of a pickup, and how it is supposed to be connect in a circuit. If two pickups are connected correctly, they will be in phase with each other. If you were to flip the magnet in one pickup, but not change the wiring of that pickup, that pickup would be out of phase with the other pickup. Similarly, if you reversed the wiring of one pickup, and did not flip the magnet, that pickup would be out of phase with the other.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.