Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush -Don't Give Up (guitar cover)

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Omppu, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Omppu

Omppu TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Finland
    Thank you very much :) Yeah, the 80's! I think the guitarist for the orginal was David Rhodes.

Thank you :)

Thank you :) Well some people listening the lyrics in the song, but I listen the melody first.

2. Omppu

Omppu TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Finland
    This is indeed a bass pattern of Tony Levin, and that's awesome.

bender66 likes this.

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I must add, It's a crime people are oblivious to Kate Bush. She got a nod as a potential HOF induction & every conversation steers towards "who?!" or "why?!" Mostly westerners. She's relatively unknown in the States. Not that she needs the approval. Her body of work speaks volumes.

Easily a desert island disc artist for me. Hounds Of Love? Red Shoes? Hard to pick.

Omppu likes this.

4. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Oh Rhodes not Rose, like an instrument not a flower!!:lol::D
    Thanks for the correction!! And once again for the nice playing and arrangement.
    Oh yes, which model from AmpliTube do you use? Just curious. :)

Omppu likes this.

5. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Wonderful musicianship, my Finnish friend. I was hit by the melody and your tasteful approach to laying back where the lyrics need to be the emphasis.

Omppu likes this.

6. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Wow, that was amazingly beautiful. Please pick any other song of those that you wouldn’t do, and do them. Lots of talent arranging and playing. Bravo!

Omppu likes this.

7. Omppu

Omppu TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Finland
    In the lead guitar I use Amplitubes "57 custom deluxe tweed" and for bassoctave guitar "57 custom twin tweed" and pitchshifter effect.

FrontPU likes this.

8. Omppu

Omppu TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Finland
    Thank you very much :)

Thank you :) Yes, I have to check out the "don't cover these songs" list :D

9. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Thanks!:)

Omppu likes this.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Absolutely gorgeous and sublime.

I have been a huge fan of Peter Gabriel since 1977, and Kate Bush from the mid 1980's on.

Thank you for making that!!
    ;)

Omppu likes this.

11. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Wow! And also, WOW! Peter Gabriel is one of my all time favorite artists and this is one of his most gorgeous songs rendered transportive by Kate Bush.
    I love how you alter your style in the melody line to differentiate the voices; more grit, slurs, doubled notes and accidentals to convey the richness of Peter’s voice and the very clean yet emotive single notes to convey the purity of Kate’s.
    Well done, very well done indeed!

Omppu likes this.

12. jazzereh

jazzereh TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    Outstanding! I tend to listen to melodies rather than lyrics as well and you have captured the essence of this wonderful tune so perfectly. Thanks for posting that.

I have to ask - how do you do an arrangement like this? Is this an ear arrangement in that you record a bass line and then play over that for the other parts? Or, do you have a written arrangement for this? I ask partly just to know what your process is and partly I'd like to know of you have an arrangement of this that you would sell?

Omppu likes this.

13. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here's a great version of the song

Omppu likes this.

14. Omppu

Omppu TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Finland

I'm not very good at reading the music, so I'm learning everything from my ear or watching videos.

First I started by learning the melody, just by listening to the original and then playing with it.
    Next I looked for chords and I learned a bass pattern. I looked at a few youtube videos where Tony Levin played the bass line and it was fun to learn.

Then I started to arranged with the looper. I played the bass in the looper and then I start doing layers with rhythms and chords.
    I was surprised how quickly I made an arrangement for this song. I used the first ideas I played on the looper and that’s it.

I recorded this on the garage band, each guitar on own track. First bass, then ”drums”, chords and lead, in this order.

jazzereh and Minimalist518 like this.

15. Omppu

Omppu TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Finland
    I really like this one! Thanks for the link :)

richiek65 likes this.

16. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Beautifully done. Peter and Kate are both superb artists and a hard act to follow. I like what you did with it.

Omppu likes this.

17. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Very nice work and what an incredible song. I've seen PG do it live a couple times, but never with Kate. I believe with Paula Cole, who does it great justice. And yes, Tony Levin was there.

Omppu likes this.

18. Omppu

Omppu TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Finland
    Thank you very much :)

Thank you :) Paula makes her own interpretation, a good one. Really like it.

19. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2016
    Central Florida
    Loved this !!! Very sweet playing, and super tone :) All 4 parts...very nice :)

20. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Hope you decide to never do Blood of Eden, then proceed to do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.