Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PedalTrain Mini has no room for power supply

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SixShooter, Oct 18, 2011.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    I just received a mail ordered PedalTrain Mini board. It's pretty sweet except for the fact that there is no room for a power supply box underneath:twisted:. The online photos didn't show this. I later found this photo here on TDPRI (courtesy of Studio1087):

PedalTrain Mini BottomB.jpg

I want to use the Voodoo Lab ISO5 power supply and I was very keen on this board because it holds 5 or 6 pedals and that's all I need. I also like them in one row instead of 2. I should have researched this out a little better, I know. But now what to do?

I thought about having the power supply out side of the board or on top. Don't care for that much. I may have to break down and buy the larger PedalTrain Jr even though it is larger than I want.

My OneSpot type power supply that I am currently using makes my pedals quite noisy. It's not a OneSpot brand- it came with my BBE pedal- but I am assuming a real One Spot will be just as noisy.

Thoughts and ideas?

2. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

Dec 1, 2008
    Seattle
    Might consider the Fuel Tank Jr (smaller than Iso-5), here's a couple examples. One has it tucked into the top slot, the other shows a chassis mod to the bottom.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=5659081

I considered this set-up, but ended up going with the PT-Jr and PP2 power supply.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    This may be a dumb idea.......could you unscrew the four rubber feet and get longer screws and place a 1/2" or 3/4" spacer between the rubber feet and the frame?

Could you lift the frame up off the floor higher and create a bigger space betweet the frame and the floor? It's just four screws.

Do you need just a little more space underneath or do you need a lot of space?

I get by with a One-Spot. The real One-Spot is ok for me.

I buy these $30 combo packs that allow you to hook up anything - Linky

Another option would be the Boss tuner that also serves as a daisy chain power supply (that way you don't need space for a box under the board).

Get these two things ($120 - yikes....they cost more than the pedal board).

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. SixShooter

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    That's a great thread. Thanks for tipping me off. They go through this very problem and all the options. I think I may go the route of cutting into the bottom to make room for a T-Rex or something. Like this:

PTM Trex.jpg

Check out the power cord socket he put in.

The depth is easy to fix as you have suggested. The larger problem is that there isn't enough space in the x-y direction underneath the board. Otherwise I'd have to raise the board 1.5 inches and then it wouldn't fit in the case.

I really want to use an isolated power supply. As I mentioned, using a wal-wort right now and it is rather noisy.

5. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    I bought rubber feet from the drug store and cut them to the right height to raise the rear of my PT mini so that my Line 6 M9's power up ply fit underneath. I just used gorilla glue to attach the feet over the existing feet. Anyway, the one spot (also underneath) and the Line6 supply fit fine and the board still fits in the bag.

6. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    You can modify your board. The ISO-5 doesn't fit very well under the PT-Jr anyway. It's thicker and shorter (the long way) than the PP2.

7. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2003
    SoCal

The Boss tuner doesn't supply any power, it just passes it through. He'd still have to use a wall wart or power supply to get power to the tuner.

8. Sikor

Sikor Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2010
    Germany
    You can mod Your Mini as said already or put the power supply on the top.

I chose the latter way:
    [​IMG]

9. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Or you can just trade the Mini in for a PT Jr.

10. SixShooter

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    That's a workable option, but I don't want to sacrifice the space on the board. And I really want it out of site.

That's my fallback, but I really like the idea of the smaller (mini) board. Benefits to me are:

-Pedals are all in one row
    -Takes up less space on stage and in practice area
    -Easier to transport due to size and weight
    -Discourages buying additional pedals that I don't need (that's what I'm telling myself at least)

I think I'm going to end up doing the mod shown above. Looks like this has now turned into a project.

11. vjf1968

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Why do I get the funny feeling that you will be buying more pedals?:p

12. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

13. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Do what I do: have the power supply safely behind your amp and get a long extension lead out to the board. Costs just a couple of bucks and is a very nice solution.

What I mean is a lead like this - can't be sure this is exactly right but along these lines.

14. SixShooter

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    So you have one of these running out to each pedal or do you daisy chain it?

I'd like this board to be self contained. Sorry if I am being difficult...

This all works out for boards like the PedalTrain Jr. Large self contained power supply, etc. Unfortunately this Mini has a design flaw in this regard. Otherwise it's pretty slick.

15. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Daisy chain. I prefer having a small board so saving space by having the power supply out of the way makes sense to me.

16. New Math

New Math TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Stockholm - Sweden
    If I had a dollar for the number of times I have said "that's it I don't need anymore pedals" ..... well I would have a couple of dollars, but you get my drift

17. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    You could put them towards a new pedal.

18. New Math

New Math TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Stockholm - Sweden
    Which in itself would generate additional revenue

19. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    Sounds like a can't-lose proposition! :D

20. vjf1968

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    It isn't a design flaw. PGS makes different size pedal boards to fit different needs. The Mini and Nano were really intended for people with either a few pedals or pedals the size of something like the Lovepedal Amp 50, Pickle Vibe, ect.. And since most folks use the OneSpot or the GodLyke when using so few pedals there wasn't really any reason to allow for a fixed power supply like the Brick and PP2 for such a small board.

The PT Jr. would have filled the bill nicely with enough room for expansion and a power supply.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.