Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedals your not using...but still keeping

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Sep 13, 2018.

1. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Well, I don't use a lot of pedals because my music doesn't usually call for them, I don't like constantly futzing with stuff, and I usually play through my katana which has more than I need already. I do use the Soul Food, the Xotic SP Comp, volume pedal, and a Fishman Aura acoustic EQ pedal.

I have no desire to sell any pedals, though, because none of mine are worth too much and they're all good at what they do, so someday I might find a use for them. In particular I have a Vox Wah, a superbadass variac fuzz from MXR and a fulldrive 3 that are just what I want in a wah, fuzz, and TS/ Booster for someday when I want them. Most of the rest are cheap Chinese stuff it's not worth listing. I maybe own a dozen.

On the like-to-buy list I'm interested in trying a different klon-type as long as it's not too much cash, an EQ pedal, and a tremolo pedal - but I don't need any of them.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    A few mentions of the danelectro cool cat, I thought they were a vibe pedal not chorus or tremolo? The light green or blue metal one? It reminded me I have one somewhere that I modded years ago. From memory the light now pulses with the vibe and I think it was supposed to give it a volume boost. Think it might have just added noise to mine so I never used it.

3. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

DynaComp.
    Used it for years, not currently using it, got a Keeley+, which is pretty much a dressed-up DynaComp.
    I will not sell the DynaComp--we did many miles together, and it did its job, every night.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, I need to start hiding these from the wife,... I mean, its not like their shoes or something... There are a couple of others in drawers somewhere... I never get rid of dirt.

Image1536896193.349280.jpg

Chunkocaster and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Digitech Trio. I just haven't spent enough time with it for it to be useful yet. Someday.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Good rundown on this page...
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/516

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I'm officially a loser. My DD-3 is a pink label Taiwanese unit (Model 2B). :(

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    coolcat.JPG

This is mine. A chorus pedal with much ( unused ) chorus goodness inside. Before uploading this, I wired it in and had a rough run-through of 'Come As You Are', or at least as much as I could remember, it's been a long time since I played that. It was fun, but the pedal is now back languishing on the shelf of dusty dreams.

Chunkocaster and RetroTeleRod like this.
  9. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I have about 10 pedals on my pedal board but I don't use very many of them at a given time. I use the tuner every time I play and often use the reverb pedal.

I keep swapping out overdrives trying to figure out what I like with my Orange amp, so that's the bulk of what I typically have that won't be on the pedal board.

Right now the ones I don't have on are:

- Orange 2 Stroke Clean Boost/EQ - doubt I'll get rid of this as I keep thinking I'll need it or find a killer use for it

- Orange Getaway Driver (Overdrive with some tricks related to DI output, etc..)

- EHX Memory Boy - I don't use delay much but for some reason I've been through 3 delay pedals. I have a Digitech Obscura that I am using right now. The weird thing about having a real Analog delay is it kind of taught me how to use it, now that I understand it better I know how to dial in the Obscura to simulate an analog delay. The modulations on the Memory Boy are pretty weird and/or need an expression pedal to use musically. Not sure I need/want to go there.

- Op Amp Big Muff Pi - it will shortly probably go back on.. I have 2 ODs on the board right now but will only end up leaving one on

I'd say the Getaway Driver + Memory Boy could eventually get sold, along with one more OD. I'm probably going to just stick to the OCD.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    The first two I think of are 2 MODkits DIY pedals I built: the Thunderdrive and the Rattler. I can't really sell them for anything, and I had fun building them, but I never use them! And I have better fuzz and distortion pedals.

zippofan and RetroTeleRod like this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    There must have been a few versions of the cool cat pedals, I hunted mine down earlier today too. I haven't plugged it in but it looks different to that one. I don't think mine is very old, maybe 9 years? Here's a generic pic. From memory it was a decent sounding vibe pedal for the low cost.[​IMG]

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    There were two generations of the Cool Cat series. Here's a photo of each gen.
    Danelectro-FirstSeries.jpg
    CoolCat 2nd Gen.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    That board looks cool, wish i'd bought one of those back then.
    Gotta love that sales blurb and that $29 list price. What bargains.
    Should have bought one of each.:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  14. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Any pedal not being used is def for sale :)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a bunch of pedals that I no longer use, because I'm a floorboard kind of guy and I'll use either my Mooer GE-200 for modeling, or an old Digitech GNX2 if I only need the board for effects (the effects are pretty good but the modeling on that board is pretty crappy).

I've got the Electro-Harmonix Mel-9 and B-9 pedals, but I just keep them in my studio and use them if I need a quick keyboard part without having to break out the keyboard. I've also got an old Boss CS-3 compressor and an even older Boss volume-wah that I use with my pedal steel if necessary.

Oh, and an ancient Thomas Organ Cry Baby. Another one that doesn't get to the stage, but I use it in the studio.

- D

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    That second gen of pedals was actually divided in to two sub-gens. There are v.IIs of a number of those pedals. The ad posted above shows gen-2a, for lack of a better term.

RetroTeleRod and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Switched my ODs to Green Rhino and Red Llama, but kept the Fulldrive II Mosfet in reserve, since it's a great pedal too. Also have a Joyo ACtone, I keep that in the bag, since you can place it at the end of your pedalboard and go direct out to the board in case of amp failure.

Also have an old MIJ DD-3 delay which I rarely use, but will probably try again soon on my board.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

A lot, and I need to sell them. I was into collecting them and experimenting, but just not into pedals anymore.

Sparkle Drive
    EP Booster
    Spark Booster
    Orange Two Stroke
    Diamond Boost EQ
    Dyna Comp
    MXR Digital Reverb
    MXR 78 distortion
    MXR Modified OD
    MHP 72 Degrees
    MHP Evelyn
    Boss Tremolo
    EHX Chorus
    Boss Flanger
    Boss 7-band EQ

Keepers:
    TS mini
    EHX LPB-1
    EHX Holy Stain (for reverb)

19. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    That's true. For example the 1st version of the Transparent Overdrive was a Timmy clone. Here's a side by side. (1st version on the left)
    coolcatTO1and2.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    Everybody says you need a EQ in your arsenal, but I never use it. The Boss GE-7 is a classic EQ pedal, but I enjoy matching amp, guitar and speakers: it's more efficient and, frankly, more fun than a pedal to tweak the tone.
    Still, for some reason, I can't part from it. Never use it...

Maybe I might sell it now , now that I've actually said it out loud... :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.