Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedals you don't get the point of, defended by users who love them.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    The korg Miku. Abomination.

Deeve likes this.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Let's sum it all up, into one mass of opinion -

All pedals suck. OD because it's not an amp, chorus because it sounds like the 80's (even though it began in the 70's) phase because, well just because. Flange because it sounds like the 70's, wah because it's dated, loopers because they are useless, delay because they have a bad attitude, or aren't natural or whatever, reverb because it sounds artificial, or some other reason I missed. Fuzz because it is dated, or because it is called fuzz. Ring modulators because they are like loopers. Ring modulators are actually in collusion with loopers to annoy you. Boosts, because what's the point? Just turn your amp up already.

So there you have it, all pedals suck.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Bill, grooveiron, ndcaster and 4 others like this.

3. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I love compressors ... absolutely love them ... B-bender with Tele bridge pickup clean through a compressor is about as close as you'll get to a pedal steel

Matt G and noname_dragon like this.

4. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I love the mel9 and the key9... so much fun

noname_dragon likes this.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Well there it is.
    [/thread]

Reggie77 likes this.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

7. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Ta-da! Like magic!

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

8. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    No, ring modulators because on a guitar they don't sound like anything resembling anything musical (on a synthesizer, they can sound interesting). At least with the other hated pedals, you can make music, sometimes even GOOD music. I've never heard a guitar through a ring modulator on ANY song that ANYbody I've ever known has EVER liked. The only time I've ever heard one in a recording is when someone intentionally wanted to make non-music that sounded like something you didn't want to hear, but then they called it "art" and that somehow made it all better.

EDIT: I just found out that Tony Iommi used one on the solo for "Paranoid". I would have never pegged that sound as anything but abuse of a fuzz pedal, so my opinion still stands.

9. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    He must have found a way to dial it down. Adrian Belew used one full strength to great effect on many songs. But still NO! Pedals suck! We all agree, we just don't realize it, because it is happening on the collective level.

10. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    They certainly suck money out of my pocket...

grooveiron and Iago like this.

11. DatGuitarBoi

DatGuitarBoi TDPRI Member

Monday
    Ontario
    I use the TC electronic thunderstorm flanger.
    It can go from 0 to 100 real fast if you want it to, but I keep it on some rather low settings. Its more or less something I set to double up with my chorus, which is also set rather low, and it gives me a lush "filter".
    comes off like a mix between an ambient tone, and some glimmering 80's hair metal tone.
    Im not a fan of warbly/metallic chorus and flange effects. That stuff just sounds distasteful.
    Leave that sound for the 14 year old kids playing on a Peavy vyper

12. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    Octiva and anything based on it.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    ring mod rules!

it's the sound of your cyborg future

start wearing spandex now

grooveiron likes this.

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Pedals are tools.

They were designed to do specific jobs - some do their jobs better than others.
    Some excel at doing jobs they were never designed for - which is a bonus.

Segovia was horrified at the prospect of taking an acoustic, with its gentle tone and subtleties - and electrifying it - I believe he compared the result to a power tool.

It's horses for courses (choruses?)

Speaking of chorus - too much of anything is bad.

I love the sound of my MXR Micro Chorus - it makes me smile, but I don't use it all the time because that would get boring - like eating the same meal three times a day for a month.

I have a Rat clone - I build it myself - I see its versatility, but the resulting tone does nothing for me.

For most of us who play in one or two styles regularly, the prospect of having a huge pedalboard is ridiculous. For the working pro, the sonic palette offered by multiple pedals is what helps keep them working in a number of different musical environments.

I really enjoy those little POD-type doohickeys for late night practice. Yes, the tones aren't as exciting as plugging into my half stack, but it means my family, neighbours, and local police can get on with their respective evenings in peace - and I have 'something like' a decent sound, and a metronome to boot. Can't go wrong with that in my book.

That there is my 0.02.

...although I really don't 'get' auto-wah effects... :D

15. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I know of two professional touring musicians who use this pedal on their board :D

16. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Anyone mention 8-bit or bitcrusher pedals yet?

I think they're awesome, but I know easily 90% of the forum will think something like this is useless.

BuckSatan likes this.

17. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    The Big Muff. I have had one and it seemed like everything I played through it sounded like a Big Muff. I know they are popular but it's definitely not for me.

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Ring modulators. Wayne Krantz loves them and they sound cool with him using it. Not for me.

19. Sphere5060

Sphere5060 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2011
    USA
    I just built this one (Arcadiator), thinking it would be rarely used just for fun, but you can get a stable and rich fuzz tone out of it.

Another vote for the Rat. They are great as dirty overdrives or fuzzy distortion.

JD0x0 likes this.

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    anything priced over 150 dollars.

Most things priced over a 100, there have been a few exceptions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.