Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedals you don't get the point of, defended by users who love them.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Apr 16, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Tube Screamer. Rat. I've never owned the Tube Screamer, but I've played several and heard tons of them. I've owned one of the original Rat pedals in the 80's. Found it useable but generic. The TS pedals, to my ears, make a good amp sound cheap and boxy. But people love both of these pedals, so what do I know?

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    A bowtie, on an Esquire raw through an Excelsior, and/or screaming through an AC15? To quote brother Niles, "I'll crush you like an over-ripe Gewurztraminer!" My guitar talks like Frasier's ex-cop dad yelling at Frasier to cut out the fancy guff.

Curtis Mayfield...'70s sounds?!? Nope, Curtis as his True-Curtist best is pure late-'60s, ChiTown solid, and thus ratified by being un-ratted. Curtis only got away from himself when he leaned toward funk.

Kung Fu movies...good for a joke or two in the movie "Office Space."

Sly Stone...Prince...and the rest of it: exactly what makes that stuff bad (okay, except for some of "Dark Side") is that 70s wocka-wicka wah-funk sound. That's the sound of polyester lapels killing souls.

That said, I sure have a weird need to play funk when I pick up my Strat. Probably just a loosen-the-digits thang, since I truly can't stand listening to anyone playing funk.

Unless, of course, it's funk with redeeming purpose:

"YouknowwhutI'msayin'?"

3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Or American Beauty or Europe '72 or Mad Dogs and Englishmen or Let It Be or Sticky Fingers or Will the Circle Be Unbroken or early Clash or any of Leon Russell's most rockin' stuff or a whole lot of the best stuff by Jimmy Cliff, Jesse Winchester, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, B.B. King, the Crusaders, and Gil Scot Heron.

And probably a couple of other artists.

Fiesta Red likes this.

4. RoscoeElegante

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Wait a minute, comrades! We're confusing sounds made during the '70s with "'70s sounds." Hey, "Blood on the Tracks" and Leon Redbone et al. were made during the '70s, too. I'm talking funk, over-wah'd, over-compressed, anything faintly disco as "'70s sounds." BAD sounds typical of the era's distinctive badness. Not any sounds, much less good sounds, made then. The Dead's "Ripple" is more denim-proved 1870s than it is the polyester-choked 1970s that I'm referring to. I mean the sounds that orange shag carpeting made when you asked it about the needs of the soul. THAT stuff.

That said, Linda Rondstadt was criminally cute in '70s, and my '73(?) Gremlin did make a poetic "scaRONK!" when its brakes failed and I crashed into my girlfriend's '74 Vega.

5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I don't think Curtis Mayfield put anything out in the 60s.
    You associate funk with disco because you don't understand it. Funk was brilliant. That's why Johnny Guitar Watson, the Isley Brothers, and Curtis Mayfield, made it. Because they were brilliant.
    Disco, which you mentioned, is to funk what 80s glam/hair bands are to punk. Disco is not really relevant to funk, and if you can't disassociate the two that's sad.

Of course, since you don't like fuzz or 70's sounds, no Stooges for you. As Iggy said, "no fun".

6. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Oh! But don't write off that orange shag carpeting so fast! I got my most memorable rug burns in my friend Marcia's family room right in the '68-'70 range, and orange shag was the flavor du jour.

Wonder where she is now.

=O.

teletimetx and cabra velha like this.

7. RoscoeElegante

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Mayfield's The Roosters and The Impressions stuff is very good. Afterward, the solo stuff--not so much. The Isley Brothers were great, until they drifted so far from their gospel and R&B roots their compass shrunk to over-compression. Yep, I find funk tones over-compressed, the rhythms dulling. You can't hear the fingerprints of the notes. The guitars and the guitarists sound alike. It's smeared in wah pedaling, self-syncopation. It's neither real band or guitar music to me. Instead, it's calypso music too fond of itself, and too limited in the tone-setting choices it's making, to really dance. Disco is its inevitable, and telling, child, the same way that shred shrieking is the inevitable and telling offspring of distortion become its own purpose. Just as Punk's love of "Look how cute we are when we rage!" indeed became the posing-for-its-own-sake of Glam.

So anything that led us, say, to this 1979 misery

is off-track-long-before-the-trainwreck stuff.

I'll take this any time:

Too funk-ay without being "Funk."

8. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I having had access to several different synthesizers over the decades have been consistently and sorely disappointed by the sounds emitted from guitar synth stomp boxes (yeech!).
    However, to get into a positive flow the DOD Gonkulator is very charming
    4ms makes all analog hand assembled pedals that can sound each in their own way, terrible, wonderful scary, friendly and very suave an sophisticated. Start plugging them into each other and, well it's a whirlwind trip to adventure land on anything can happen day. These are the pedals that I own: 4ms Noise Swash - Max , Triwave Picogenerator - THE WORKS, Atoner Pedal. The Atoner Pedal is not available as a stomp box now. 4ms is the bomb. These are the pedals your parents did not know to warn you about.

trouserpress likes this.

9. Twobobstunes

Twobobstunes TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio

10. Twobobstunes

Twobobstunes TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio
    David Gilmour uses them very nicely on the Division Bell, On An Island and Rattle That Lock.

RLee77 likes this.

11. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I've even watched YouTube videos and I still don't get it.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    1. Take a tele or strat, plug it into a Dynacomp, then out to a clean Fender amp. Black or silverface preferred, but anything that has a good clean tone will do. People pay ridiculous money for compressor pedals, but that $40 Dynacomp on Craigslist is the one you want.

2. Turn the Dynacomp on, set the knobs at noon.

3. Play. That jangly, snappy sound is why people use compressor pedals. That's all I've ever found them to be good for, but I have one because that's a great sound.

Rackmount/software compressors for studio or live work are a different animal, though. The digital console I use at work has a compressor for every input and output, plus extras if I want to get really crazy with subrouting. I use almost all of them.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Absolutely. But at least you could hear some good players at work, spayed and neutered though their sounds might have been.

Gone are the days. More depressing, even that over-processed funk was exponentially less synthetic-sounding than new wave, hip-hop, emo, techno, shoegaze, and most other post-funk sounds. Popular music continues to swirl down the PPPPP (post-punk Prozac-powered pop) toilet - another casualty of the genius of capitalism.

RoscoeElegante likes this.

14. RoscoeElegante

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    This I can agree with. Sigh. Even so, there is a lot of great music being made under/apart from the popstream radar. In fact, I find myself having to control my "Shut up and LISTEN to this guy/woman/band!" urges when people are yowling and chatting while rare talent is right in front of them. Mockingbirds before gnats, it sometimes seems when you go to a club or small gig and some talented person/band is being used as sound to yell over.

I need coffee.

15. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Blasphemous! I love wah pedals!! Unfortunately, I'm not as good as Hendrix or SRV or even James Burton - he used a wah onstage with Elvis for about five years - and I probably never will be. However, I would love to find a vintage orange ColorSound wah/fuzz/volume pedal from the early 1970s just for the reason of it being vintage.

What pedal do I not get the point of? Looper pedals. Don't ask me why....I just don't understand their reasons for use.

16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I use my Korg SDD-3000 as my reverb, but also when the song or gig require me to do dotted-eighth-note strumming. I use my Moog Tremolo a lot, for leads and such, or played clean, for kind of ol' school blues-gospel sounds.

I have never been able to figure out how to make any chorus sound good through any amp, playing any song. Vibrato is like chorus with something missing, and I fail at that as well.

Fuzz: other folks can make them work, but apparently, I missed that lesson, 'cause the only pedal I've ever returned was a Big Muff that I couldn't "figure out".

Staypuft1652 likes this.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    You're right, loopers are useless. Wahs are good for doors stops and for adding variety when we can't think of something new to say. (For me, it's more entertaining to try to think up something new to say. I don't have to wobble around on one foot. I hate that.)

As I mentioned above, If you have a two-channel amp and go clean into one channel and run the wah through the other, instead of wah you get dramatic twang and growl. Big fun!

18. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    And what's the deal with airline food?

Pixies2005 and jddub440 like this.

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Chorus.

In the words of my teenage daughter, "I just can't even..."

Everything bad about the 80's in one sound.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.