Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedals you don't get the point of, defended by users who love them.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Apr 16, 2017.

1. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I don't understand compressors. I mean, I understand them, but I don't understand why people use them.

Sjnoring likes this.

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Funny you should say that. I don't see them much anymore, but a friend was just showing me his yesterday. He's in love with it.

Newbcaster likes this.

3. tomobedlam

tomobedlam TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I own an Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine. I'll probably never use it live but every once and awhile I'll plug it in and play with it and cackle to myself because I'm freaking my neighbors out.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We need more pedals with knobs labeled "magic".

[​IMG]

5. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Control.

6. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I can understand the point of any pedal, they help people get the sounds they're looking for. I don't use many, but I say more power to anybody who wants to use them all.

jddub440, Wyzsard and dlew919 like this.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Don't get the point of anything with a list price of more than £100 - at least for a single pedal.

zippofan, dlew919 and 9fears08 like this.

8. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    That'll be a Rock'a'Billy thing the Gretsch guys'n'gals would begrudgingly use in place of actual tape delay systems. A friend of mine had the real deal that he used with actual cassette tape. He made it sound fantastic, even used it for distortion..I suspect a non-pedal (except for my BD-2) schmo like me would break it in a heartbeat..

9. tomobedlam

tomobedlam TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    It makes it sound like cheerful space elves have captured your signal and sprinkled it with space elf dust.

10. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Any fuzz. Just ugh. I mean get it but bleh.

11. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    My go-to example would be the solo in Like a Stone by Audioslave, though Tom Morello used one a lot in his Rage Against the Machine days too. Killings in the Name Of is another good example l.

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Before all studio rack equipment got packaged up and stripped down to fit inside a guitar pedal, the only place you saw compressors was in a studio, in the hands of the pro engineers. There were a few legendary models that had somewhat of a cult following, due to their ability to add, in the words of their proponents, "magic dust" to your track. The Universal Audio LA2A leveling amp, the UA 1176, and UAD-1 Fairchild 670 are a few of the famous ones that I know of (I'm far from an expert on these though).
    In the hands of a competent engineer, these could take your great guitar track and give it a unique presence and color that pushed it from great to amazing. They were pretty widely used and revered, you'll hear them on most older recordings. Even though the "best" compressors/limiters are supposed to be transparent, these were not, but what they added, everyone wanted.
    Hence the early guitar pedal compressors, and wide adoption of them, but it seems that over the years everyone has forgotten about why they were good to begin with... however, the pedal versions don't have that magic, at least not in the same way. You can still get versions of the above rack compressors, but they are $thousands$.

mitchfinck likes this.

13. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    No, I get tape delay. This gave your sound a warble like you were listening to it on a cassette. I'm looking fir the ad

14. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2008
    NJ
    And the unfortunate placement of the switch relative to said art.

I'm sure it's good for a few giggles here and there, and some unusual sounds given the appropriate application.

15. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have the rack mount version It does sound amazing!

16. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Fuzz. That I got when our '64 Magnavox stereo ripped its speakers. When Petula Clark sounds like a dying Studebaker, music is not being made. Plus, moldy fruit creates guilt, not resonance.

Rat. I do like weasels, but not unharmonic distortions.

Wah. Please, someone--KILL all '70s-sounds, finally and forever. Why put Peter Frampton's God-forgive-him talk box on a guitar?

Pitch-shifters. I got fingers for that.

Any metal-sounding OD/distortion. See "unharmonic," above. Also, If I wanted to hear bad electric motors getting worse/the sound of mere blinding frustration, I'd borrow my neighbor's crappily-made '70s power tools again. Mono-mood/reductive mood stuff is music not being made.

Anything that creates any texture and/or volume of sound that precludes any sound but itself--nah. The guitar is so eloquent, in so many languages, why use bad blankets on its tongue?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Where I live, that's Camden!

24 track likes this.

18. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    It's an overdrive for your clean tones. I find a compressor lets me dig in without the peaks bursting people's eardrums, and it gives me more sustain so I can play more expressively. It can be a really subtle effect; the difference can have more to do with how the instrument responds than what a listener might pick up on. But since I've been using one I wouldn't want to play a single-coil guitar clean without it.

Pixies2005 likes this.

19. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I actually live 100 miles from hope B.C. and I have to go through it to get to Vancouver, Hope is the town that Sylvester Stalone filmed "first blood"

20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I imagine your guitar talks like Kelsey Grammer, and wears a bowtie.

With no 70s sounds, there'd be no:
    Curtis Mayfield
    Kung Fu movie scores
    Sly Stone
    Dark side of the moon
    Iggy and the stooges
    Prince...
    ...and probably a bunch of classic rock I'm sick to death of but most guitar players love.

trouserpress and basher like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.