Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedals you don't get the point of, defended by users who love them.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Apr 16, 2017.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    So, have you ever seen a pedal you thought... 'why?'

I'm going to start with a couple. If you think they're brilliant, tell me why. Conversely, you might add to the list, and someone else might defend.

Let's get the Gear acquisition syndrome happening ...

Ok to start: the pedal that warps your sound like a cassette tape? I can't see me using that more than once.

The Rat: does the job of every other dirt pedal for twice the price.

Vibrato: never been able to bond with it.

Take me to school.

RoyBGood likes this.

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    No doubt I'll raise some ire here but I just don't like distortion pedals. You can get that break-up sound with a low wattage amp or a really big amp turned up. I just don't like the sound. Never have.
    I, and you , can get that sound through any cheap guitar and amp. Why pay for a pedal for such a sound?
    I may get lots of responses but it's just my $0.02 worth on a sound I don't believe represents what the guitar, player and amplifier can do. JMHO

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    By vibrato, do you mean tremolo?

4. dlew919

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    No, vibe pedals. I don't much like tremolo either ;)

nosuch likes this.

5. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Those pedals with two foot switches crammed at the bottom with a toggle switch crammed in between that and dip switches on the back etc. I don't care what the effect is I don't want that on my board.

beezerboy, JBFatFingers and dlew919 like this.

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    "Just turning up a low wattage amp" isn't really a solution if you're gigging and need lots of clean headroom at times and heavy dirt at other times.

As far as RATs go, with amps that have a lot of treble the RAT plays better with them. It's most well known being the AC15. AC15s are notoriously picky with dirt pedals. They tend to be either harsh or mushy with little functional middle ground.

audiopablo, drlucky, Ekko and 3 others like this.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Any that don't shield the knobs so you kick em out of whack at a gig, of worse, kick off the knob and bend the pot shaft... which sadly seems to be most of them.

Boutique pedals seem to be the worst for it. Ibanez and Boss really did nail the best designs.

Most pedals 'of a type' sound similar cranked with a band anyway so you don't really have to compromise for practicality.

That said, my main pedal is an MXR Microamp with a rubber cover on the knob that I can adjust with my foot. That makes sense. Butt crack revealing adjustments not necessary.

If a boutique manufacturer addresses this and does not rely on cheap, stock alloy boxes, I'd be looking at them over others.

Maybe be a biz opportunity for making and selling 'pedal box 2.0' designs with a proper knob recess.

Weeman333, oldfish and dlew919 like this.

8. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The last pedal I owned was a Colorsound Supa Tonebender in the early 1980s. Once I got a proper amp I didn't need it anymore, it's in a box somewhere...

dlew919 likes this.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    What pedal "warps your sound like a cassette tape"? If you don't like it, why would you use it once?

Rat pedals are cheap.
    It can be used as an overdrive, distortion or fuzz. Originally I bought mine by ear. It was the only thing in the store that would do the specific thing I wanted that day. Since then, I've used it for lots of different sounds. It was $90, had an indestructible proprietary case, and was made in the US (in 2005). I thought it was a deal.

12. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    I really can't stand the sound of LDR pedals, like univibes and some phase pedals. Something about the harsh waveform literally stress me out!

13. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    I might be in the minority here but I spend a lot of time trying to make my guitar sound like anything but a guitar. It's very rare that I have no effects on at all ever. Big fan of weird reverbs and delays and I'm really enjoying the mel9 from ehx at the moment. Vibes I like a lot for that subtle wobble with a clean sound and a shed load of reverb. Rats are tricky to dial in but can be made to sound great.
    I'm not a great player I do the simple stuff well so new sounds help me out a lot. Tone is in the fingers they say, not for me it's an array of switches on the floor in front of me.

14. dlew919

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I can't find the ad. I remember just thinking what a pointless thing. I'm sure though it's an always on pedal for someone.

15. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    I came into this thread specifically to see if someone had mentioned this yet!

dlew919 likes this.

16. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    the rat as a do-everything pedal ... its neither a good overdrive nor a fuzz and pretending it is so is some of the biggest foolishness this forum gets up to. queue up the defenders and apologists in 3 ... 2 ... 1

the soul food ... making a cheap, clunky, bad sounding "almost klon" is worse than overcharging for a klone

organ synth\miku stomp\sitar synth pedals ...

krowbot and Newbcaster like this.

17. dlew919

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I d like the soul food. It's a great boost and saturates nicely Inmy view. :)

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

18. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    also ... the jekyll and hyde. no, I don't get it. you put the distortion first? and they run in parallel? what sort of backwards ****ing pageantry is that?

Newbcaster and dlew919 like this.

19. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    It might be easy to pick a pedal that you don't actually have a beef with, but know will rile up the TDPRI stompbox faithful, but I have real, genuine issues with the OD-3.

It's overly compressed, has a terrible EQ'ing (soooo much bass), and doesn't have anywhere near the dynamic qualities of the BD-2.

I would kill to hear how people who love the OD-3 have their amps EQ'ed clean, because they must sound insane.

Every time someone here suggests its better, or the logical successor to the BD-2, I cringe. If you need a better BD-2 than the BD-2, get a BD-2w and put it in custom mode - that puts some of the thump back into the bottom end without turning it into the EQ mess that is the OD-3.

9fears08 likes this.

20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    When people talk about how a pedal sounds, as if it has a sound all by itself, it makes me wonder if they're plugging it into a DI or their computer or something. These old pedals are made to work in front of tube amplifiers. You only know how they sound in front of amps you've heard them with. They don't have "a sound" - they help make sounds.

What a rat can do, is really what the amp will do. The rat has enough output to boost my amp into more distortion with the pedal almost clean, so the "overdrive" sound is at least half due to the amp. I've only used it as an overdrive as a bandaid fix when I have a bad sound guy that thinks my tiny 12w combo is too loud, so it was just the pedal set low into a clean amp. Is that a "good" overdrive? No, but I don't think any pedal is a good overdrive. Amps are for overdrive. Still, I kind of like the rat's dirt for a different flavor that's not trying to fake an amp sound.

As for fuzz, it's also up to the amp. The ratio of amp distortion, (created by rat output level), to rat distortion can get really coarse, snarly fuzz. Not just that 80s lead guitar distortion. To me that's good, because I'm not a fuzz user of the Eric Johnson variety, looking for smooth sustain. I'm looking for rough texture, snarl, ripped speakers... you know, a party.

Also, the rat makes the best analog synth oscillations when used in a feedback loop.

jenos and adamgdog like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.