Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

pedals that pair nicely with Tele, Hot Rod Deluxe & tube screamer (pd7)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bassment zombie, Aug 4, 2017.

1. bassment zombie

bassment zombie TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Boston, MA
    Hi all, any ideas for pedals that pair nicely with my rig above? Stuff I play generally falls into the lo-fi, power pop, garage realm. I use my tubescreamer as an always on color/effect, and I'm interested in adding a few pedals to the fold. As a working stiff dad with another little one on the way, I don't have the time to spend trying out a bunch of pedals, and I'll be perfectly happy to add a couple more pedals that folks have had good experiences with components like mine. I'm interested in pedals roughly $100 and under (the more inexpensive, the better - but don't want to skimp), easily found online to purchase, and generally for the following needs:

- boost/od/distortion? I play rhythm, but will occasionally want something to boost or kick things up a notch when needed/appropriate. Not sure if I should go the boost route, or add another OD or distortion

- chorus

- delay or reverb (I'm thinking a tape delay as opposed to the digital)

Hope this is enough info - if not, I'll revisit and add - thanks all!

2. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    OD - I love the sound of a TS combined with a BD-2
    Chorus - pass
    Delay or Reverb - reverb, and it's hard to beat a TCE Hall of Fame. I have an Arena which is a re-packaged HoF. I also like the EHX Holy Grail Nano.

All can be found, though maybe used, for >$100.

3. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Joyo Vintage Phaser is under $30 on Reverb. Great pedal! Same with their Ultimate Drive if you want that OCD sound. I'm not using mine currently but also not selling.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The Joyo Ultimate Drive has become my "always on" pedal.

6. bassment zombie

Jun 12, 2016
    Boston, MA
    BD-2 -- good call. I've read others generally recommending it, as well as the DS-1.

Passing on chorus - yea, I meant to include a phaser along with that. Definitely not a priority element.

Thanks for those reverb pedal ideas, not to mention the budget consideration - adding them to my list to google/youtube tonight.

Under $30 DEFINITELY has got my ears tingly! Adding these with gusto to my evening research plan.

Noted and appreciated!

Man - you guys rock. Thanks so much for chiming in so quickly here - *dabs eyes* :)

7. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    If you want a decent, inexpensive delay, I have the Donner Yellow Fall which is $35. It's not on my board right now but it's in line to get put on my revamped board. Once I get it built that is.:cool:

8. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    London, UK
    Nothing pairs a Tubescreamer more than... another Tubescreamer!!

That has been my rig for 20 years and still use it

Sometimes I put a B.o.g. Fuzzface if I feel dirty

9. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Meister

In the $30 pedal vein....I'll add the Joyo Tremolo. Great basic trem.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Catalinbread Naga Viper. Great boost when stacked or on its own.

11. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I play a tele through a Hot Rod Deville. I use a EQD Palisades as my always on overdrive and it's based on the tubescreamer. For different lead boosts I use a Wampler Tumnus which is a Klon clone and it totally rips. So much headroom it's insane. For a dirtier lead tone I use an Analogman Prince of Tone. It's half the king of tone and it is really great for that saturated lead sound.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    TS and rat is classic combo so look at mooer black secret.

Hard to beat one of the Biyang tri verb models for a good all around reverb.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

13. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    OD - EHX Soul Food, (inexpensive Klon clone)
    Distortion - Proco Rat-2, (also inexpensive)
    Reverb - TC HOF Mini, (less expensive than Hall of Fame)
    Fuzz - Dunlop Mini Fuzz Face, (inexpensive good Fuzz)

That's it from my end

Have Fun......when you can....

14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Pedals that go with a Tele, an HRD and a TS? All pedals will play nice with that combination. That's a solid and versatile platform.

Strictly IMO... but I would suggest a different overdrive (more neutral) for an always on, then use the tube screamer as intended - to boost and kick things up a notch. There are many great suggestions above for another overdrive... I'll add the Boss OD-3 to the mix :).

Another option... leave the TS as you use it and put a clean boost in front of it. When you kick on the boost the tone will stay fundamentally the same, but the TS will kick up a notch in gain.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Proco Rat. Current production are fine.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

16. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Tele - SD-1 / TS - tube amp with reverb - job done.

I'd second the Phaser idea - the Joyo pedals I've had have been decent.

Maybe look into a tremolo (that has a 'hard' mode) - such as the Danelectro Tuna Melt.
    Very useful in place of Chorus in my book - particularly if you sweep a wah through it too!

17. toolshed

toolshed TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2014
    tennessee
    I'm using cmat mods brownie, ratified, scenic drive and butah. I play a tele thru a blues DeVille and Rivera 212 duo using the clean channels and letting the dirt pedals do all the work. I was using the Rivera and mesa boogie express 550 gain channels but now only use Chad's pedals. They are awesome...

18. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    soulfood overdrive/DS1 dirt/mr black deluxe plus reverb and trem sounds great with a hotrod

19. bassment zombie

Jun 12, 2016
    Boston, MA
    Some great suggestions here, everyone - thank you much!

Interesting, Coda - I hadn't considered that. If I were to try using the TS9 as the boost and kick, how do you think would the OD-3 and the BD-2 compare and contrast in that 'always on' slot?

20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Both of those pedals would be more neutral than a TS as an always on pedal - no mid hump with most of the low end and high end retained. Then - when the TS is engaged it does it's magic... cuts the lows and highs, effectively boosting the mids. This makes solos (and other important guitar lines) cut through stronger and thicker than they normally would.

If you have come accustomed to the sound of an always on TS... this may not work for you. To get a boost out of that tone I would put a clean boost in front of the TS... just to kick it up a notch when engaged.

21. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    MHP 72 Degrees would work nicely with that combo, assuming you're using one as a boost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.